Apple issues first OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks beta to developers with Safari seeds in tow

Posted:
in macOS edited July 2014
Apple on Wednesday pushed out to developers the first beta of the upcoming OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks maintenance update alongside new builds of Safari 7.0.6 and 6.0.6.

The new OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks seed, build number 13F7, comes one month to the day after Apple released OS X 10.9.4 to the public in June, which brought fixes for Wi-Fi connectivity and wake-from-sleep bugs.

With the new seed, Apple is asking developers to focus on Safari, USB, USB Smart Cards and graphics. Previous updates, like beta versions of the aforementioned OS X 10.9.4, brought similar enhancements, but USB and USB Smart Cards are new areas of concern. Apple did, however, put priority on USB connectivity as it applies to iTunes in OS X 10.9.4.

Alongside the Mavericks seed, Apple also released Safari 7.0.6 for Mavericks, as well as Safari 6.1.6 for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and OS X 10.7 Lion. The company is asking developers to concentrate on general website compatibility and extensions.

Developers can download the latest OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks build along with the two Safari versions via Apple's Developer Portal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Why continue with Mavericks when Yosemite is on the way? I've already done a clean install of 10.10 and it's been flawless.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I wonder how long it will be until its opened to the public beta testers.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    goldfinger wrote: »
    I wonder how long it will be until its opened to the public beta testers.

Seems quite large, five minutes to install it says.

I know they have that in Yosemite, I was not aware they do in Mavericks too. I learn something new everyday.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    BuffyzDeadBuffyzDead Posts: 355member

Ha !!

Mavericks is So Yesterday !!

Been running Yosemite Beta since last Thursday,

on two machines (2009 Mac Mini and Late 2012 iMac 27)

with barely a hiccup.

Love It !!!

• Reply 5 of 10

Same, it's awesome.  Especially for a beta!

• Reply 6 of 10
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    I'm getting random system restarts with Yosemite. I leave the Mini alone for a few days and I come back with a message saying it's rebooted. Not sure what's up, but I'm sending all the crash logs to Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Ha !!

Mavericks is So Yesterday !!

Been running Yosemite Beta since last Thursday,

on two machines (2009 Mac Mini and Late 2012 iMac 27)

with barely a hiccup.

Love It !!!

Absolutely.  I switch between iMac with Yosemite and rMBP with Mavericks, and it almost physically hurts to go back to Mavericks.  It's not a massive leap forward in terms of cosmetics, but there are so many detail improvements.  I absolutely love the dark theme with Graphite appearance and Graphite highlight color, for example.

Now, if only my iMac had a 2x resolution screen, the new Helvetica Neue system font might look a little smoother...

• Reply 8 of 10
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    Patently waits for people to whine about Mail not working correctly....
  • Reply 9 of 10
    sestewartsestewart Posts: 102member
    "Why continue with Mavericks when Yosemite is on the way?"

There are Macs that won't get the Yosemite upgrade. Compatibility for certain card readers still do not work in Mavericks. Also printers still have problems and have forced people to buy new hardware. Undoubtedly, there will be companies that do not update for compatibility with programs. They'll be working on Mavericks for a while while transitioning.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

There are Macs that won't get the Yosemite upgrade.

None of which can run Mavericks.

Compatibility for certain card readers still do not work in Mavericks. Also printers still have problems and have forced people to buy new hardware.

How’s that Apple’s problem? What cards? What printers? This sounds totally wrong.