Redesigned Typo 2 physical keyboard for Apple's iPhone 5 & 5s now available for preorder

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
After being slapped with an injunction because of similarities to BlackBerry keyboards, the Typo physical keyboard for iPhone has been redesigned in a new second-generation model that will begin shipping in mid-September.

In what was likely a bid to avoid future litigation, the new Typo 2, which is now available for preorder, is redesigned with a look that further differentiates it from the keyboards on BlackBerry smartphones. The product is backed by celebrity presenter and radio host Ryan Seacrest, who helped drum up hype for the first -- now banned -- product earlier this year.

The Typo 2 is now available from its official website for $99, with the first orders shipping in mid-September.

"Typo 2 was born out of a desire for efficiency," the product description reads. "For several years, many of our friends and colleagues carried two phones: one for typing and correspondence and an iPhone for virtually everything else."

The people behind Typo believe that physical keyboards are superior to the virtual buttons featured on Apple's iPhone. Their product was in development for two years, and the company calls it "an indespensible business tool that people simply can't live without."

The original Typo Bluetooth keyboard launched for iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s early this year, but was quickly met with a lawsuit from BlackBerry which alleged the design too closely represented its own popular physical keyboards. BlackBerry quickly won an injunction and barred sales of the Typo in the U.S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    More bad new for Blackberry ;)
  • Reply 2 of 28
    mrpezmanmrpezman Posts: 10member
    I actually like this product but I don't like it $99 worth. Not yet anyhow.
  • Reply 3 of 28

Just in time for the iPhone 6.  Well planned.

• Reply 4 of 28
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

No thanks.  I've used the predictive typing in iOS 8 beta.  I'll stick with that.

• Reply 5 of 28
    How could you ever buy a product like this without trying it first. Where can you try one?
  • Reply 6 of 28
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    Blackberry? More like Backburied, as in buried in the back yard where they belong.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member
    How do you access home button?
  • Reply 8 of 28
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bighype View Post

You hit alt-cmd-delete on the keyboard ;;-)

Just kidding... it appears like it slides down (note the way the keyboard dovetails into the case)

• Reply 9 of 28
    I have the original one and I love it! I'm sure the 2nd one is great also :)
  • Reply 10 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"For several years, many of our friends and colleagues carried two phones: one for typing and correspondence and an iPhone for virtually everything else."

But then they were run over by a delivery truck taking a load of sanity to Stupidville.

• Reply 11 of 28
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

The five adults in my immediate family that have iPhones are all business types. None of them appears to have any trouble using the touch screen keyboard. Some people refuse to change just because. They don’t even want to try. A minority of squawkers is making a bunch of noise about physical keyboards as the world moves on. Where have we heard that mantra before? Why the “matte screen” MacBook squawkers who, to this very day, rage on about their glossy screens and how they can’t see anything. Screw ‘em all. Where they gonna go anyway? 

• Reply 12 of 28
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    $99 does seem a bit much for a tiny keyboard, but you're getting a case with that. If you were going to buy a $30 case anyway, that cuts the price to $69.

Their website is a bit short of details like battery life. Hopefully that'll come later.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    tastowetastowe Posts: 108member
    Who are care about stupid blackberry physical keyboard
  • Reply 14 of 28
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 167member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tastowe View Post

Who are care about stupid blackberry physical keyboard

I are care!.. I are baboon!

• Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Bottom-left key.

• Reply 16 of 28
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    So this tiny little company gets slapped with an injunction yet the scumbag Samsung was allowed to continue to sell their direct copies of iPhones and iPads with absolute abandon. Our country is broken, politically and legally.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    freerange wrote: »
    So this tiny little company gets slapped with an injunction yet the scumbag Samsung was allowed to continue to sell their direct copies of iPhones and iPads with absolute abandon. Our country is broken, politically and legally.

It was a simple singular product, a keyboard, and it wasn't hard to see the similarities. Open and shut case. Is that really difficult to comprehend?
  • Reply 18 of 28
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member
    Not gonna fit the new iPhone 6 in a couple of months.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by rkevwill View Post

Not gonna fit the new iPhone 6 in a couple of months.

It won’t fit it now. ;)

• Reply 20 of 28
    Typo, this is the 80s calling, we want our poop back