Brains behind subscription Beats Music to also oversee Apple's iTunes Radio

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2014
Beats Music CEO Ian Rogers will assume control of Apple's iTunes Radio service, according to a new report, uniting both of Apple's streaming music services under a single executive as the company gears up for a renewed assault on incumbent industry leaders Spotify and Pandora.

The purported leadership change comes on the same day that Apple officially welcomed Beats as a subsidiary, and less than one week after reports of Beats staff being laid off as Apple identified synergies between the two companies. Rogers's new role was first reported by the Wall Street Journal.

Though Rogers has been notably absent from the media circus surround Apple's $3 billion acquisition of Beats, Apple CEO Tim Cook specifically called him out in a tweet earlier Friday. In the missive, Cook welcomed "Jimmy, Dre, Luke, Ian and the entire beats team," including both Rogers and Beats Electronics CEO Luke Wood, who has kept a similarly low profile since the deal was announced.

Rogers made his bones in the music industry as a website developer for the Beastie Boys, eventually being hired by Yahoo to lead the portal's music division. Jimmy Iovine tabbed Rogers to run the new Beats Music division January of 2013.

With Rogers's new role confirmed, the only Beats executive left in the lurch is Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor, who doubled as the music service's Chief Creative Officer. It is still unknown what role, if any, Reznor will fill at Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    "Rogers made his bones in the music industry as a website developer for the Beastie Boys, eventually being hired by Yahoo to lead the portal's music division."

See? Web development isn't necessarily a dead-end job after all!
  • Reply 2 of 64
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Ok Apple now hire someone to oversee Apple TV so we can finally get a new product there. Let Eddy focus on back end stuff like iCloud, maps and Siri.
  • Reply 3 of 64
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Ok Apple now hire someone to oversee Apple TV so we can finally get a new product there. Let Eddy focus on back end stuff like iCloud, maps and Siri.

The only thing Eddy should be focused on is retirement planning. Since Steve died he's proved to be ****ing useless.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

The only thing Eddy should be focused on is retirement planning. Since Steve died he's proved to be ****ing useless.

Your proof of this is what?

• Reply 5 of 64
    macvicta wrote: »
    I thought it was interesting thar Cue didn't get any stage time at WWDC even though there were a number of iCloud/App Store announcements. I still think he has too much on his plate. iTunes, AppStore and Apple TV should be split and given to someone else. App Store still isn't great for app discovery and it doesn't seem like Cue is making much headway on content deals for Apple TV. Cue has more than enough to focus on with iCloud, Maps and Siri. All there have room for improvement.

What will be most interesting is when iOS 8 and Yosemite go live. If all this iCloud stuff doesn't "just work" there's going to be a lot of unhappy customers. Depending on how the roll out goes this fall I think we'll know whether Cue is planning retirement or not.
  • Reply 6 of 64

Your proof of this is what?
    Spending $3B on Beats? No new Apple TV?
  • Reply 7 of 64
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Spending $3B on Beats? No new Apple TV?

So no proof, then.

• Reply 8 of 64
    In that case, you could argue the same about Eric Schmidt over at Google. Since he left Apple's board, he has been useless!
  • Reply 9 of 64
    So no proof, then.

Agreed. No proof. Rogifan tends to write words she cannot and will not back up.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    So no proof, then.

No proof that you accept. If Apple are buying a company for $3B partially because of it's streaming service what does that tell you about the in house development and management of the existing streaming service?

If they then make the manager of the acquired service the manager of the unified steaming service. What does that tell you?
  • Reply 11 of 64
    rogifan wrote: »
    I thought it was interesting thar Cue didn't get any stage time at WWDC even though there were a number of iCloud/App Store announcements. I still think he has too much on his plate. iTunes, AppStore and Apple TV should be split and given to someone else. App Store still isn't great for app discovery and it doesn't seem like Cue is making much headway on content deals for Apple TV. Cue has more than enough to focus on with iCloud, Maps and Siri. All there have room for improvement.

What will be most interesting is when iOS 8 and Yosemite go live. If all this iCloud stuff doesn't "just work" there's going to be a lot of unhappy customers. Depending on how the roll out goes this fall I think we'll know whether Cue is planning retirement or not.

Why just point out Eddy Cue? How about everyone who did not get any stage time? Obviously, the star of the show was Craig. His leadership work will be the face of Apple's products in the coming months. And, he is busting ass (and hair) to get the front-end working as well as possible.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    Why just point out Eddy Cue? How about everyone who did not get any stage time? Obviously, the star of the show was Craig. His leadership work will be the face of Apple's products in the coming months. And, he is busting ass (and hair) to get the front-end working as well as possible.

Craig's predominance at the WWDC is probably also bad news for big Phil.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    asdasd wrote: »
    No proof that you accept. If Apple are buying a company for $3B partially because of it's streaming service what does that tell you about the in house development and management of the existing streaming service?

If they then make the manager of the acquired service the manager of the unified steaming service. What does that tell you?

This tells me Apple tried to do something well, discovered its efforts were not exceptional enough to be happy with, decided to bring someone with a proven track record on to the team to take Apple where it thinks it needs to go. Seems damn obvious to me.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    asdasd wrote: »
    Craig's predominance at the WWDC is probably also bad news for big Phil.

I am guessing Phil be visible with the releases of the new hardware later this year.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    This tells me Apple tried to do something well, discovered its efforts were not exceptional enough to be happy with, decided to bring someone with a proven track record on to the team to take Apple where it thinks it needs to go. Seems damn obvious to me.

Which is a demotion for the guy who wasn't exceptional. He cost the company.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    I am guessing Phil be visible with the releases of the new hardware later this year.

We'll see. Like forstall I think he was more Steve's guy.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

No proof that you accept.

No, no proof whatsoever. Nothing that has been posted proves that Eddy Cue has done nothing.

• Reply 18 of 64
    No, no proof whatsoever. Nothing that has been posted proves that Eddy Cue has done nothing.

Again. Nothing that you will accept.

1) Eddy cue was in charge of iTunes Radio.
    2) It didn't work out. Wasn't a success.
    3) Apple buys a company in - the most expensive in their history - In part to better this service, and removes Cue from position of iTunes Radio head.

TS believes there is nothing to see here. Most people would see it as a wake up call.

(He was in charge of too much to be fair. )
  • Reply 19 of 64
    I recall seeing a picture of Steve, Phil, Scott, Jony, Eddie and Tony. I am uncertain if Tim was in it or not. Steve is gone (rest his soul). Tony is gone. Scott is gone. People are aching for Eddie and Phil to be gone. Jony must be sweating right now.
  • Reply 20 of 64
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Again. Nothing that you will accept.

If this is the extent of your argument, you may as well stop posting.

2) It didn't work out. Wasn't a success.

Funny that you think this.