Apple and Beats introduce 'Pills' characters to Siri in first official ad

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2014
Apple subsidiary Beats on Friday uploaded a short 30-second spot to its Twitter account featuring two of its animated "Pill" creatures and the Siri virtual assistant, marking the first collaborative ad effort since Apple bought the audio company in May.

It is unknown if the clip will be aired on television, or if it is meant to stay Web-exclusive, but the ad is the first overtly collaborative video spot to see release since Apple first announced its $3 billion Beats acquisition.

In the spot, two characters based on Beats by Dre's Pill speakers, named Mikey and Tina, talk up the recently closed deal, saying, "It's official, Apple and Beats have joined forces." Mikey suggests they celebrate the news.

A disembodied Siri, creepily listening in on the conversation from the ether, says she heard Dr. Dre might be throwing a party to commemorate the partnership, perhaps a tongue-in-cheek reference to the rap star's premature announcement celebration that was caught on tape in May.

Today is the day. Invitation Only. #BeatsPills x Siri #applebeats
https://t.co/EUSkXeGCMb

-- Beats By Dre (@beatsbydre)

The trio goes on to discuss how the party is an invitation-only affair and the Pills are aren't on the guest list. After some dry banter, Mikey asks Siri to let him in on the party's secret location, but the virtual assistant is disinclined to reveal that information.

"Sorry, I didn't get that," Siri says.

The oddly scripted spot is Beats' first video ad to be released in partnership with Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 147
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    From the way the tweet is written, to the Siri's voice seeming so primitive sounding compared to the comical voices of the "pills", to the "Sorry, I didn't get that" from Siri which is a horrible thing to hear from Siri I absolutely hated everything about this ad.
  • Reply 2 of 147
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    "Computer says, no."
  • Reply 3 of 147
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    "Computer says, no."
  • Reply 4 of 147
    yins27yins27 Posts: 2member
    Apple is lucky we like their products. Anybody remember a good Apple Ad after Steve Jobs passed away?
  • Reply 5 of 147
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    What?
  • Reply 6 of 147
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

I think I just threw-up in my mouth a little bit.

• Reply 7 of 147
    yuck. everything about watching that was just yuck.
  • Reply 8 of 147
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    That's why Apple bought the company? For this? They're off to a ghastly start. This might go down as one the worst acquisitions in corporate history. How the hell did such an ad get approved? Did Philly Boy give the OK? It makes everything recent from TBWA Chiat look like Schindler's List.
  • Reply 9 of 147
    I think it's a very cool way to let everyone know that Apple & Beats have joined forces.

I predict Beats is going to to be the coolest music company on the planet and bring the world to iOS.

Does anyone sense Watson class, Big Data Analytics in SIRI in the ad ? :)
    SIRI just joined the conversation without being asked a question. LOL.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 10 of 147
    graxspoograxspoo Posts: 162member

Don't be hatin'...

On second thought go ahead.

• Reply 11 of 147
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

Oddly scripted.  That's an understatement.

• Reply 12 of 147
    I'm sure this commercial was supposed to be funny. And don't get me wrong, I love the animation and the characters.... but as an Apple customer, I hate hearing the "Sorry, I didn't get that" from Siri - especially when it's about asking Siri directions (like what the character experienced in the commercial). Apple Maps continues to not work correctly (I despise that it will offer three routes, all 3 being toll roads). It's sad that although Siri is out of Beta...it's still not really a true virtual assistant. It's frustrating, too, that Apple offers a public beta of OS X Yosemite but not a public beta of iOS 8. Since Siri was released as a public beta, why not do the same with iOS 8? As a student with a disability, it would be great to offer Apple valuable feedback to enable a very polished final version of iOS 8. So with my awful experience with Siri, Apple Maps, and being a wall-hugger (b/c of poor battery life on my iPhone and MacBook Pro)...I have to say that I really don't find Siri's selective hearing to be fun. And reporting this feedback to Apple is very much like Siri: they don't seem to "get" the customer feedback and resolve issues faster. This commercial doesn't make me feel good about Apple or Beats....or rather, "Sorry I didn't get that" commercial. Thank you for letting me vent.
  • Reply 13 of 147
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

It could have been worse...

(Choreographed "snap" dancers come to mind.)

• Reply 14 of 147
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Oh boy, the video doesn't play on iOS?!!
  • Reply 15 of 147
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacob Reeder View Post

It's frustrating, too, that Apple offers a public beta of OS X Yosemite but not a public beta of iOS 8. Since Siri was released as a public beta, why not do the same with iOS 8? 

Since Siri was released as a public beta, why not do the same with iOS 8?

The basic issue is that there is no mechanism to revert to an older version of iOS.

For OS X, you can install the beta onto a different partition, external hard drive or backup machine.

Cellphones are different, people don't tend to keep around backup smartphones (with corresponding cellular service) and there is no option to put the operating system on an external device. For most, a iPhone is their one and only smartphone. If a beta version of iOS has serious problems and your iPhone is your primary mobile communication device, well, you could easily be screwed.

Siri is not a required component of iOS. One has the option of disabling Siri.

My guess is if you are really motivated, you will find a way to acquire and install a developer copy of iOS. 

• Reply 16 of 147
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Well, I’m furious.

• Reply 17 of 147
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacob Reeder View Post

I'm sure this commercial was supposed to be funny. And don't get me wrong, I love the animation and the characters.... but as an Apple customer, I hate hearing the "Sorry, I didn't get that" from Siri - especially when it's about asking Siri directions (like what the character experienced in the commercial). Apple Maps continues to not work correctly (I despise that it will offer three routes, all 3 being toll roads). It's sad that although Siri is out of Beta...it's still not really a true virtual assistant. It's frustrating, too, that Apple offers a public beta of OS X Yosemite but not a public beta of iOS 8. Since Siri was released as a public beta, why not do the same with iOS 8? As a student with a disability, it would be great to offer Apple valuable feedback to enable a very polished final version of iOS 8. So with my awful experience with Siri, Apple Maps, and being a wall-hugger (b/c of poor battery life on my iPhone and MacBook Pro)...I have to say that I really don't find Siri's selective hearing to be fun. And reporting this feedback to Apple is very much like Siri: they don't seem to "get" the customer feedback and resolve issues faster. This commercial doesn't make me feel good about Apple or Beats....or rather, "Sorry I didn't get that" commercial. Thank you for letting me vent.

It's like the commercial is an extension of Microsoft's new Cortana ads poking fun at Siri's shortcomings.

• Reply 18 of 147
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

That funny - because no one at the Apple store in Soho has yet to recommend the Pill because it's hyped up junk.

• Reply 19 of 147
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Well, I’m furious.

Our worst fears realized ALREADY?! By the power of Greyskull...
  • Reply 20 of 147
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

You guys are being too critical, it's just a funny little add. Here's another one that will hopefully brighten your day a little.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6648229/siri-argument