Apple seeds fifth beta versions of iOS 8, OS X Yosemite to developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
Apple on Monday made iOS 8 beta 5 and OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 5 available to registered developers, bringing bug fixes and stability improvements to the company's next-generation operating systems.

iOS 8 beta 5 -- sporting build number 12A4345d -- fixes problems with iOS's AVCapture framework and addresses issues with iCloud backups and CarPlay, among others. Also receiving fixes and changes are CloudKit, Document Providers, Extensions, FaceTime, Family Sharing, the file system, Find my Friends, Handoff, HealthKit, HomeKit, iAd, iCloud Drive, iCloud Keychain, iTunes Sync, Keyboards, Localization, Metal and OpenGL, Music, Springboard, and UIKit.

A number of problems remain, however, and Apple provide its now-customary warning that the software should only be installed on dedicated development devices. Shared purchase history pages are disabled for the new Family Sharing features, for instance, while encrypted backups to iTunes fail.

iOS 8 beta 5 is available via the Apple Developer Center or as a 269-megabyte over-the-air delta through Software Update.

OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 5, meanwhile, is not without its own issues. Users migrating from systems encrypted with older versions of FileVault could suffer a failed installation, for instance, and Gatekeeper signatures created in OS X 10.8.5 or earlier will no longer be recognized -- developers must re-sign their applications.

Other areas of concern in Yosemite's fifth preview include Family Sharing, Handoff, iCoud Drive, iCloud, Aperture, iPhoto, Markup, and Safari.

OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 5 is available via the Mac App Store.

Also receiving updates on Monday were the beta versions of Xcode 6, Apple TV, and Apple Configurator.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    sneathsneath Posts: 10member
    So no new OS X Yosemite Public Beta? Only for developers?
  • Reply 2 of 24
    bengbeng Posts: 34member
    Does anyone else see a connection between IOS8 and Yosemite? Seems like they are going in parallel because there is so much interconnecting code between them. My guess.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sneath View Post

So no new OS X Yosemite Public Beta? Only for developers?

Patience.  The debs get to play with it first.   Then the beta testers.  

Should be pretty soon...

• Reply 4 of 24

I recall something being said about that when the public beta started. The updates to the public beta would be much less often, or something to that effect. 

• Reply 5 of 24

not necessarily when you got the public beta it said on the FAQ that the Public Update will not be updated as much as the beta updates; and because the Public Update was really DP 4---i just assumed you guys will get the GM and then the public release. You may not get DP5 if not much as changed. The only thing ive noticed so far really is the volume changer and brightness changer icons that pop up on OS X look closer to the new control center in iOS 8 beta 4, and the volume and brightness icons that pop up when you change also correlate with dark mode now. 

• Reply 6 of 24
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    "...A number of problems remain."

As an analyst at Gartner, I must downgrade AAPL stock due to its shortcomings in providing bug-free software. We know that this is beta, but, still, Apple should be releasing bug-free software, even in alpha state.

Thus, I will urge my clients to sell its AAPL holdings.

Sincerely,
    Jack Ass Analyst
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Patience.  The debs get to play with it first.

Is this before or after the party?
  • Reply 8 of 24
    beng wrote: »
    Does anyone else see a connection between IOS8 and Yosemite? Seems like they are going in parallel because there is so much interconnecting code between them. My guess.

I think that iOS and OS X are going in parallel -- I think that Swift and IBM have a lot to do with it!
  • Reply 9 of 24
    pluddypluddy Posts: 1member

Just a note, this Beta came with redesigned iCloud, iCloud Drive, Backup, and iCloud Keychain icons:

• Reply 10 of 24
    Whoa!

I've been playing with Beta 5 Swift.

Some bugs between Swift compiled code and Playgrounds have been fixed.

But the greatest thing I noticed is more than an order of magnitude performance improvement to create a large array of AnyObject:

On the prior release, the time to create theArrayAnyObject was ~ 0.021 sec (similar to both other arrays.
    .....With this release, the time to create theArrayAnyObject was    0.000947952270507812 sec

This totally aces JSON or XML deserialization ...

[B][I]Look out big data, here we come !!![/I][/B]

[CODE]
    countElements(theSource): 7122

timeBegin: 428870004.437607
    timeEnd: 428870004.459515
    elapsed time: 0.0219079852104187
    Total creationTime: theArrayString 0.0213939547538757 sec for 1787 entries

timeBegin: 428870004.463015
    timeEnd: 428870004.464475
    elapsed time: 0.00145995616912842
    Total creationTime: theArrayAnyObject 0.000947952270507812 sec for 1787 entries

timeBegin: 428870004.46858
    timeEnd: 428870004.496807
    elapsed time: 0.0282269716262817
    Total creationTime: theArrayAny 0.0276419520378113 sec for 1787 entries
    [/CODE]
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[…] Other areas of concern in Yosemite's fifth preview include Family Sharing, Handoff, iCoud Drive, iCloud, Aperture, iPhoto, Markup, and Safari.

I thought iPhoto is supposed to be dropped from Yosemite, replaced with the new "Photos" app. Am I mistaken?

• Reply 12 of 24
    Ha anyone tried FaceTime Audio conferencing., what is the limit of participants ?
  • Reply 13 of 24
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,030member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

I thought iPhoto is supposed to be dropped from Yosemite, replaced with the new "Photos" app. Am I mistaken?

According to the WWDC keynote, Apple plans to launch Photos as a separate application sometime after the release of OS X Yosemite. Plus, Apple will need to provide some sort of compatibility with the existing iPhoto, even though further development of the latter has been discontinued.

In the same way, Apple needs to make sure Yosemite works with Aperture, even though that application too has been discontinued.

• Reply 14 of 24
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

1. iLife isn’t part of OS X.

2. In 2015.

• Reply 15 of 24
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Looks like Dark Mode is going to extend to more than just the Menu Bar and Dock. We now have a preliminary Dark Mode volume indicator (albeit without antialiasing).

• Reply 16 of 24
    There's also a new beta of Swift, the brand new programming language.... Just found a nice training, it gives you a feeling what it's all about.... (got at special discount because of Beat 5 release !) https://www.udemy.com/swiftdeveloper/?couponCode=SWIFT-BETA5
  • Reply 17 of 24

Taht's great to know ! For newcomers, just found a nice training, it gives you a feeling what it's all about.... (got at special discount because of Beat 5 release !) https://www.udemy.com/swiftdeveloper/?couponCode=SWIFT-BETA5

• Reply 18 of 24
    alxcayalxcay Posts: 3member
    I'm on Beta 4 and the updates section of the Mac app store reads - No updates Available.
    I've refreshed the App Store loads and restarted a couple of times and it keeps on showing it. Any help is really appreciated! Thanks!
  • Reply 19 of 24
    alxcayalxcay Posts: 3member
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Patience.  The debs get to play with it first.   Then the beta testers.  

Should be pretty soon...

Apple doesn't seem to differentiate between iOS devs and Mac devs. I am a paid iOS dev and have Yosemite beta and I was able to upgrade the latest DP this morning.