Pebble unveils new limited-edition iOS-compatible pink, green & blue smartwatches

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2014
With competition in the smartwatch space heating up, arguable market leader Pebble on Tuesday took the covers off of a new fashion-focused push that will see a limited run of Fly Blue, Fresh Green, and Hot Pink versions of its original plastic-framed device made available to the public.

Pebble went through "a lot of iterating" to ensure color consistency in the new options, company evangelist Myriam Joire told Fast Company. The company has yet to reveal how many of each will be sold before the limited run is ended.

Already forced to contend with South Korean electronics giant Samsung, Pebble is now facing the entry of heavyweights LG and Motorola with smartwatches powered by Google's new Android Wear operating system. Much of the industry's focus has shifted from technical ability, traditionally Pebble's strength, to fashion -- Motorola's new Moto360, for instance, sports a traditional look with a round face.

Pebble's move comes some five months after the release of its new high-end model, the Pebble Steel, which eschewed the plastic construction in favor of stainless steel and glass.

AppleInsider took a look at the Pebble Steel earlier this year. At the time, we found the updated materials and then-new Pebble app store to be excellent enhancements, but were troubled by the sometimes-poor build quality.

The new colors are available now from Pebble's own website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Wow. Those are ugly, and I owned a Swatch in the 80's so that's saying something.
    Love my metal Pebble though.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Limited edition Pebbles?
    I'd say all Pebble smart watches are "limited edition" models at this point.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    themacmanthemacman Posts: 151member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Limited edition Pebbles?
    I'd say all Pebble smart watches are "limited edition" models at this point.

lol that's funny but true.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Wow. Those are ugly, and I owned a Swatch in the 80's so that's saying something.

Yes but those 80 Swatches are worth big bucks now... so what you saying? they cheep and gawdy or worth big bucks?
  • Reply 5 of 11

Does anybody buy this stuff?

• Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Does anybody buy this stuff?

I like and find very useful a pebble steel - my iPhone stays in pocket. I like to use it on boat etc also - even on the beach - i can see any texts while leaving iPhone in plastic bag.

should maybe have offered steel in a few nice colors - but these plastic, nasty colors are awful. I would need to be paid to wear on of these

• Reply 7 of 11
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    cash907 wrote: »

If they are ugly to you then clearly you're not the demographic they are aiming them towards. Tween and early teen is more likely the target market...and for people who are stuck in the 80's.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Looks like they'd be a great match for those with an iPhone 5C (official Apple case optional).

• Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

If they are ugly to you then clearly you're not the demographic they are aiming them towards. Tween and early teen is more likely the target market...and for people who are stuck in the 80's.

Ah, if only the 80s were still with us; I miss them. A magical decade.

• Reply 10 of 11

took the covers off of a new fashion-focused push that will see a limited run of Fly Blue, Fresh Green, and Hot Pink versions of its original plastic-framed device made available to the public.[url=http://www.fut15coins.co.uk/]fifa coins[/url]

[url=http://www.fut15coins.co.uk/]fut 15 coins[/url]

• Reply 11 of 11

seytery er ery rey re ery ery