Skype temporarily ends support for Macs running OS X 10.5.8 and below [u]

Posted:
in Mac Software edited August 2014
Confirming reports that Skype no longer works with older versions of Apple's OS X, Microsoft on Thursday announced it has ended support for Macs running OS X 10.5.8 Leopard or earlier in Skype's most recent version, though a Leopard-specific variant is on the way.

Update: A Microsoft spokesperson told AppleInsider on Friday that a version of Skype aimed at Leopard users "will soon be available for download."

Starting last week, Skype users began to complain on the company's forum that they were being locked out from accessing the popular voice over IP service, reports TUAW. As complaints mounted, it was guessed that Skype was no longer operational on Macs running older versions of OS X.

Microsoft today confirmed the change in service (albeit in a roundabout way) in an answer to a question regarding Skype compatibility with OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, which will for now remain unaffected.

Skype message board staff member Rene writes:
Hi everyone,

there seems to be a lot of confusion around this. First, let me assure you that no-one is locking you out from using Skype on OS X 10.6 - 10.8 and there is no need to upgrade to Mavericks or (the new OS X now in dev preview) Yosemite if you don't want to.

All OS X 10.6 - 10.8 users can head over to http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-mac/downloading/ and get version 6.15. This is a very solid release and you can still use all of the main features without any problems (i.e. group video, group chats, screen sharing etc).

Note that you should only use the link above, it serves you with a correct update for your OS version, direct links (to DMG files) can work, but are not guaranteed to do so.

That said, we still encourage you to stay up to date, meaning upgrading to Mavericks and getting the latest Skype.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

If you have problems updating, please let us know in this thread and I'll try to help you.
For reference, Apple's OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard requires only that a Mac have an Intel processor to run, meaning machines that are absolutely unable to run Skype under the new policy are some eight years old.

For those with older Macs, industrious users have fashioned workarounds, including a method of blocking the software's update mechanism from connecting with update servers, though these bootstrapped solutions are hit-or-miss.

In June, Microsoft said it would "retire" older versions of Skype for both Mac and Windows over the next few months, forcing current users to upgrade to the latest builds for uninterrupted service. At the time, the company noted users with Skype for Mac (6.13 and below) and Skype for Windows (6.14 and below) would be unable to log in until they update.

The latest version of Skype for Mac is 6.19 and which can be downloaded for free from the company's website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Bummer.

What's Skype?

• Reply 2 of 40
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member

It's a multi-platform telecommunications service that -- unlike FaceTime -- covers a wide range of system configurations and devices.

In a way, it's the voice equivalent of e-mail.

It is heavily used for business and international communications where multiple users relying on a variety of systems need a common communications platform.

If you are not employed in position that requires you to communicate to foreigners or to business folk in general, it is possible that you may not have found much use for services such as Skype.

It's not the most sophisticated way to contact another person online on this planet, but it is realistically one of the lowest common denominators, which makes it quite relevant.

Now if you have never left your province and you only communicate to Mum, Dad, your siblings, a few mates, and your boss at the fast food hamburger stand maybe you will not need Skype.

Like any other productivity oriented app, Skype is a tool that serves audiences that need the service's robust flexibility.

At this point, I suggest you visit the Skype website (www.skype.com) to learn more about its capabilities.

• Reply 3 of 40
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

It's a multi-platform telecommunications service that -- unlike FaceTime -- covers a wide range of system configurations and devices.

In a way, it's the voice equivalent of e-mail.

It is heavily used for business and international communications where multiple users relying on a variety of systems need a common communications platform.

If you are not employed in position that requires you to communicate to foreigners or to business folk in general, it is possible that you may not have found much use for services such as Skype.

It's not the most sophisticated way to contact another person online on this planet, but it is realistically one of the lowest common denominators, which makes it quite relevant.

Now if you have never left your province and you only communicate to Mum, Dad, your siblings, a few mates, and your boss at the fast food hamburger stand maybe you will not need Skype.

Like any other productivity oriented app, Skype is a tool that serves audiences that need the service's robust flexibility.

At this point, I suggest you visit the Skype website (www.skype.com) to learn more about its capabilities.

I think the person who asked is saying that... like a lot of other people, Skype, like e-mail, has become irrelevant. Google Hangouts and FaceTime has replaced a lot of the communication that I usually need to do.  I usually have people trying to contact me to chat all day on Skype (complete strangers) so I don't turn it on unless the people on the other end schedule a call.  But like I said... Hangouts is much better.

• Reply 4 of 40
    And in other news, Mac OS 9 is no longer being supported.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

I think the person who asked is saying that... like a lot of other people, Skype, like e-mail, has become irrelevant. Google Hangouts and FaceTime has replaced a lot of the communication that I usually need to do.  I usually have people trying to contact me to chat all day on Skype (complete strangers) so I don't turn it on unless the people on the other end schedule a call.  But like I said... Hangouts is much better.

I suppose I deal with too many old timers and people from Asia in my work life where Skype remains the lowest common denominator. Like you I don't run Skype unless we have a call planned beforehand.

Hangouts is better tech (I'm a longtime Google Voice user myself) but it doesn't help when the other guys aren't using it and I'm not about to spend hours of my time teaching someone else's sales/marketing person how to use the latest/greatest tech (which will probably be different in a year anyhow).

Admittedly, my employer still maintains telephone numbers, a mailbox, and a fax number. Perhaps some people can get by and ditch all that stuff.

• Reply 6 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Gave up on Skype years ago. Now it's all either Google Hangouts or FaceTime. I really want to have multi-party videoconferencing on my iPad with FaceTime so I can drop Hangouts.
  • Reply 7 of 40

iMessages and Facetime is great if everyone you know is an Apple-Bot. 

Unfortunately I am forced to sometimes interact with non-Apple Bots.  And although I feel very sorry for them because they are poor and stupid, I can enjoy the knowledge that I am able to lower myself to their level temporarily in order to communicate at their level.

Much like I can woof at my dog, I can Skype with unemployed Android users and disfigured Microsoft Shills.

Hey, if everyone could afford an iPhone, I wouldn't feel superior!  And I'd have to compete on looks or weight or something I can't compete on.

• Reply 8 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    iMessages and Facetime is great if everyone you know is an Apple-Bot. 

Unfortunately I am forced to sometimes interact with non-Apple Bots.  And although I feel very sorry for them because they are poor and stupid, I can enjoy the knowledge that I am able to lower myself to their level temporarily in order to communicate at their level.

Much like I can woof at my dog, I can Skype with unemployed Android users and disfigured Microsoft Shills.

Hey, if everyone could afford an iPhone, I wouldn't feel superior!  And I'd have to compete on looks or weight or something I can't compete on.

All of my friends and family have Apple products. Choose your friends wisely.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    You're out of your effing mind if you think Email has become obsolete. The person who says this has never worked in Silicon Valley.
  • Reply 10 of 40

Its a shame that using a PPC Mac is less and less viable. I mean it was bound to happen and when you think about it, the last PPC Mac was released in 2006 which is now 8 years ago. 

Changing topics... for Intel Macs, iMessage and FaceTime are my preferred methods of chatting. I wish FaceTime was on Windows, so I could talk to my less fortunate friends (I have Skype but seldom use it) 

• Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

And in other news, Mac OS 9 is no longer being supported.

The horror.... the horror...

• Reply 12 of 40
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    jkichline wrote: »

Well I guess our computer use is irrelevant, but it does our job !
    Email and Skype are heavily used here.
    We communicate with users on several platforms, Apps unique to a specific OS don't do the job for us !

Social spyware Apps, like FaceBook, Twitter and Google have no place here. We view them as malware.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gtr wrote: »
    What's Skype?

Perhaps they wanted to see the # of downloads increase; this was the easiest way. :D
    All of my friends and family have Apple products. Choose your friends wisely.

Also choose your family wisely¡
  • Reply 14 of 40
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    oldmacs wrote: »
    Its a shame that using a PPC Mac is less and less viable. I mean it was bound to happen and when you think about it, the last PPC Mac was released in 2006 which is now 8 years ago. 

Changing topics... for Intel Macs, iMessage and FaceTime are my preferred methods of chatting. I wish FaceTime was on Windows, so I could talk to my less fortunate friends (I have Skype but seldom use it) 

My last PPC Mac was bought in mid 2003, is still working 100% reliable.
    It's used for my basic computing, like Email, basic web browsing, Photos and financial Apps because I regard it as more malware free.
    My Intel Mac is for the more recent Apps supporting the iPhone, iPad and faster Web Browsing.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    oldmacsoldmacs Posts: 81member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

My last PPC Mac was bought in mid 2003, is still working 100% reliable.

It's used for my basic computing, like Email, basic web browsing, Photos and financial Apps because I regard it as more malware free.

My Intel Mac is for the more recent Apps supporting the iPhone, iPad and faster Web Browsing.

OH don't get me wrong, they are still quite usable... i use my 2004 iBook a fair bit but its sad its becoming less and less viable with software support dropping. 

• Reply 16 of 40
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    I've used Skype, prior to FaceTime, It always bothered me the rubbish quality sound and video and constant dropouts even on fast broadband at both ends. Since Microsoft bought it it's unusable. How do they manage to turn everything they touch in to s**t or in this case s**te. I use FaceTime more and more as the PC die hards are buying iPads and iPhones so it's less of a problem to communicate.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Torrid Foster View Post

And although I feel very sorry for them because they are poor and stupid...

The ROFLcopter flew over my house when I read your post.

• Reply 18 of 40
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    After about 12 months of iOS 5.1 not connecting via iMessage, Apple fixed the back end and it started working two weeks ago.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    gtr wrote: »
    The ROFLcopter flew over my house when I read your post.</span>

Looks like Apple][ has created a new account. Soon we'll see these accounts agree one another's post.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    ...iOS 5.1...

That doesn't sound good.
    ...Apple fixed the back end and it started working two weeks ago.

That sounds good.