Apple set to expand Reno datacenter with two additional data clusters

Posted:
in iCloud edited August 2014
The infrastructure that backs Apple's now-massive cloud services -- including iTunes and iCloud -- continues to grow, as the company has reportedly filed building permit applications that detail its plan to bring two new data clusters online at its Nevada facility.

Apple Reno iCloud site

Apple's Reno iCloud Data Center

The new buildings are believed to represent the first construction of the Reno project's third phase, following the raising of administrative offices on the site earlier this year. The applications were first noted by the Reno Gazette-Journal.

"They just keep plugging along," Washoe County senior planner Trevor Lloyd told the paper. "Apple keeps submitting plans...and it looks like they'll be expanding for a long time."

One portion of the project that has yet to break ground, however, is Apple's proposed office building in downtown Reno. Apple initially agreed to construct the new offices -- located in an area targeted for revitalization -- as part of an agreement with the City of Reno that would grant Apple some $73 million in tax incentives.

While it is unclear what Apple might use such a facility for, it is likely that at least part of it would house Apple's Braeburn Capital subsidiary. Braeburn, already headquartered elsewhere in Reno, manages Apple's cash hoard.

"Apple hasn't asked for that tax waiver yet...and at the end of the day, it's a business decision on their part," Thomas said. "Nothing in the agreement has changed so the ball remains in Apple's court."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    With all the new iCloud offerings coming I would presume so!

iCloud Drive (upto 1TB)
    Photos
    Mail Drop (5GB per msg)
    Cloud Kit (1PB assets, 10TB DB, for devs, >1M)

Never mind the impact of all the Handoff, SMS, Safari Tabs will have, though that wouldn't be much of storage, but more about bandwidth.

What was the rest, shown during the keynote?

Watching it now. Gotta love [S]Ferengi[/S] Federighi: "iCloud Drive. All your documents, available on iOS & OSX. And what the heck, we're throwing in Windows too"

editing while watching the keynote
  • Reply 2 of 12
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    THE BEATS AQUISITIONN!!! !!!?!!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    /s
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Wow, that's a lot of land.

Go Apple Go Go Go...
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

With all the new iCloud offerings coming I would presume so!

iCloud Drive (upto 1TB)

Photos

Mail Drop (5GB per msg)

Never mind the impact of all the Handoff, SMS, Safari Tabs will have, though that wouldn't be much of storage, but more about bandwidth.

What was the rest, shown during the keynote?

Watching it now. Gotta love Ferengi Federighi: "iCloud Drive. All your documents, available on iOS & OSX. And what the heck, we're throwing in Windows too"

editing while watching the keynote

Do you really believe Apple will ever be competitive with cloud offerings from Amazon, Microsoft or Google?  I'd hardly think so.  Apple is only interested in maximizing profits and nothing else.  It's also unlikely Apple would have an interest in supporting other OSes.   I'm sure they'll do the best they can of running a quality service but when it comes to bang for the buck, you'll probably have to look elsewhere.  I just wish they'd get a high-speed search engine up and tie it in to all Apple devices at a system level.  Google would then have to kiss a chunk of its search/ad revenue bye-bye.

• Reply 7 of 12
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    "The Biggest Little Data Center In The World." (tm)
  • Reply 8 of 12
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I'd like to see more DCs being built as well.

[quote name="Constable Odo" url="/t/181750/apple-set-to-expand-reno-datacenter-with-two-additional-data-clusters#post_2576207"]Do you really believe Apple will ever be competitive with cloud offerings from Amazon, Microsoft or Google?  I'd hardly think so.[/QUOTE]

How are they not competitive? How is Amazon, MS and Google competitive with iTunes Servers? How are they competitive with services like Handoff, Continuity, and the dozens of other integrated cloud-based features that you haven't even considered simply because they are seamless?

[QUOTE]Apple is only interested in maximizing profits and nothing else.[/QUOTE]

So a for-profit is concern with profits and no other for-profit company is? If it was just about maximizing profits in your myopic view of the company then there would be no reason to spend spend all that money in R&D that may never go anywhere. No need for sapphire, no need for taking risks, no need for fit and finish of any kind, and certainly no need for ease-of-use when all that cuts into their profit margins.

[QUOTE] It's also unlikely Apple would have an interest in supporting other OSes.[/QUOTE]

And yet they do and it's nearly since their inception when they weren't supporting an outside OS.

[QUOTE] I'm sure they'll do the best they can of running a quality service but when it comes to bang for the buck, you'll probably have to look elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Where can I find Handoff, Continuity, FaceTime, iMessage, email, Back To My Mac, calendar, contacts, keychain, backup, app document syncing, iTunes Match, iTunes Radio, photos, Siri, Find My Friends, Dictation, iTunes Store, App Store, iBooks Store, Find My iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac, notes, reminders, bookmarks and tabs, maps, photo printing, iDevice activation security [I]et al.[/I] features like this under a single, convenient set of logon credentials that works across my smartphone, tablet, and traditional PC OSes which are all free upgrades? I'll wait…

It looks like the old Constable is back. :\
  • Reply 9 of 12
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Maybe the stock dropped 0.01% and even though it has risen after that, he's still looking at that 0.01% drop¿

Anyhoo, excellent post sir.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    lazerlazer Posts: 1member
    [quote name="SolipsismX" url="/t/181750/apple-set-to-expand-reno-datacenter-with-two-additional-data-clusters#post_2576427"]I'd like to see more DCs being built as well.
    How are they not competitive? How is Amazon, MS and Google competitive with iTunes Servers? How are they competitive with services like Handoff, Continuity, and the dozens of other integrated cloud-based features that you haven't even considered simply because they are seamless?
    So a for-profit is concern with profits and no other for-profit company is? If it was just about maximizing profits in your myopic view of the company then there would be no reason to spend spend all that money in R&D that may never go anywhere. No need for sapphire, no need for taking risks, no need for fit and finish of any kind, and certainly no need for ease-of-use when all that cuts into their profit margins.
    And yet they do and it's nearly since their inception when they weren't supporting an outside OS.
    Where can I find Handoff, Continuity, FaceTime, iMessage, email, Back To My Mac, calendar, contacts, keychain, backup, app document syncing, iTunes Match, iTunes Radio, photos, Siri, Find My Friends, Dictation, iTunes Store, App Store, iBooks Store, Find My iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac, notes, reminders, bookmarks and tabs, maps, photo printing, iDevice activation security [I]et al.[/I] features like this under a single, convenient set of logon credentials that works across my smartphone, tablet, and traditional PC OSes which are all free upgrades? I'll wait…

It looks like the old Constable is back. :\[/quote
  • Reply 11 of 12
    philboogie wrote: »
    solipsismx wrote: »

Maybe the stock dropped 0.01% and even though it has risen after that, he's still looking at that 0.01% drop¿

Anyhoo, excellent post sir.

Indeed.

And that 0.01% drop is, of course, the same as a 0.010% drop, in much the same way as 10.1 is the same as 10.10 (specially for Solip). ????
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Good photo, DED. I like the mountain backdrop.