mac mini 2012-startup chimes, display comes up, no apple or log in

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited December 2014

2012 mini-10.9.4. was running a bootcamp partition with windows 7. booting up, the screen would go into a windows boot mode, saying 'no bootable media' 

tried starting up with option key, command R, nothing, always ended up at windows prompt. put it in target mode, and wiped the disc clean, reinstalled osx, but get the same screen. now it chimes, screen lightens, but nothing happens. 

any ideas? 

macmini, 10.9.4 4 gig ram, 500 gb hdd . base model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7

Actually no idea about this, you can get some info from net or you can visit the mobile care.

• Reply 2 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    If you put it in target mode and boot the other machine holding the alt-key, can you boot from it?
  • Reply 3 of 7

I'm experiencing the same problem with my MacMini6,2.  I have a 128GB SSD, 16GB RAM, and ever since upgrading to Yosemite I've been experiencing serious graphics issues.  It's like the Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB in it has driver issues or something.  Here's a list of things I've experienced that never happened in Mavericks:

1.  Boot chimes, but the screen stays black.  A reboot often times fixes this.

2.  Boot chimes, screen turns grey and two apples show up side by side toward the top entirely pixelated with pixelated progress bars beneath each.

3.  Boot chimes, screen stays black and after 90 seconds(ish) the screen stays black but a white progress bar can be seen in a box (no apple logo).

4.  Boot chimes, screen loads like normal, but when trying to login, the screen shows up, but the cursor doesn't and the dots representing the login characters appear like they are highlighted in light blue.

5.  Boot chimes, everything seems normal, but as you're logging in, you see a line slowly descending horizontally on the screen adding extra detail to the screen.  In my mind, I always think it's the GPU playing catchup.

6.  After being fully logged in, I have my desktop set to change every minute.  I like variety.  When the screen goes to a new image, the whole screen flickers and various parts of the two images can be seen simultaneously as horizontal bands.  This also occurs within any window of any app that's open.  Things are also seriously lagged.  When this happens, the rounded corners on every window aren't rounded, they show up as light blue squares, or sometimes black squares.

That's the best description I can give of the things I'm experiencing with my MacMini6,2.  I've never had these issues before, and they aren't constant.  To remedy this, I run Onyx and reboot.  Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.  Sometimes, I have to shut it down, wait a minute and turn it back on.  Basically, the only way to not go crazy is to wait for one of the many reboots to be a good boot and then never, ever, reboot the thing.  

I'm not sure what happened to the drivers of the Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB in Yosemite, but something happened.  Something extremely annoying.  

• Reply 4 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I'm experiencing the same problem with my MacMini6,2.  I have a 128GB SSD, 16GB RAM, and ever since upgrading to Yosemite I've been experiencing serious graphics issues.  It's like the Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB in it has driver issues or something.

I'm not sure what happened to the drivers of the Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB in Yosemite, but something happened.  Something extremely annoying.  

Try booting into safe mode by holding the shift-key. That should disable the GPU and it will rebuild the driver cache when you reboot again.
  • Reply 5 of 7

Marvin,

I'll give that a try when I'm forced to reboot.  As it is, the crazy behavior of the GPU in Yosemite makes me loathe rebooting my MacMini.  When I have to, I'll boot into safe mode, then reboot again to force a gpu driver rebuild.  I would have thought that Onyx scrubs that cache.  It even says it scrubs the kernel cache.  That's why I think this is a deeper software issue.

• Reply 6 of 7

hello 

welcome to this forums site .this is a automobile forums site . we know that today condition  drive are unsafe than we use the precaution for driving.

• Reply 7 of 7

hello 

welcome to this forums site .this is a automobile forums site . we know that today condition  drive are unsafe than we use the precaution for driving.