New, lighter BrydgeAir keyboard aims to bring laptop functionality to Apple's iPad Air

Posted:
in iPad edited November 2014
Popular iPad keyboard maker Brydge is now accepting preorders for a new model designed specifically for Apple's iPad Air, bringing not only physical backlit keys, but also upgraded stereo speakers and a lighter aluminum design.

The new BrydgeAir is scheduled to begin shipping in October. Preorders for the device are currently available at a discounted price of $150 for the first 1,000 units, and it will eventually retail for $199.

Taking a cue from Apple's popular MacBook lineup, the BrydgeAir is made from a single piece of aluminum. It's also 35 percent lighter than the previous Brydge keyboard, matching the svelte design of the full-size iPad Air.

As such, the BrydgeAir is only compatible with the iPad Air, and will not work with previous-generation models. For those users on legacy iPad models, the heavier Brydge+ is available in polycarbonate for $79, aluminum and speakerless for $89, or with speakers for $99.

Like its predecessor, the BrydgeAir boasts a simple clip-in design that allows the iPad to be easily secured or removed from the keyboard dock. When in place and connected over Bluetooth, it turns Apple's iPad Air into a laptop-style form factor, complete with physical backlit keyboard, higher quality stereo speakers, and a 180-degree viewing angle.

The keyboard also features a full row dedicated to shortcuts such as Spotlight search, the Photos app, cut, copy, paste, media playback, volume, and screen lock.

Scheduled to ship in October, the BrydgeAir will arrive around the time Apple is expected to unveil its next-generation iPad models. However, rumors so far this year have suggested that Apple's iPad lineup will not undergo any significant design changes, as the company is instead reportedly focused on bringing the Touch ID fingerprint sensor to its 2014 models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    I wonder if this would support switching between apps using cmd-tab. That's something I wish Apple's BT keyboard would do, but sadly doesn't support.
  • Reply 2 of 34

Now you can turn your iPad into a Surface!  Heh.  :\

• Reply 3 of 34
    Zagg already did this with their folio case, but it's great to see the concept spreading.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Zagg already made this with their folio case, but it's good to see the concept spreading.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    want! looks very nice
  • Reply 6 of 34
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Now you can turn your iPad into a Surface!  Heh.  :\

Actually- the Surface keyboard is much better.  I thought it was a terrible idea- both the surface, and the keyboard- however the integration between the two was pretty impressive.  The Surface keyboard has its own battery life, but also extends the battery life of the Surface itself by 70%.  Thats pretty intuitive.

I like this look- great job by BrydgeAir- and clearly the best keyboard for the iPad out there.

• Reply 7 of 34
    How come none of these keyboards has an ESC key? I (very) often use Parallels Access to connect to a Windows VM from which I VPN in to the office where I then SSH in to the various Unix machines I support. ESC is critical for using the vi editor and I have yet to see any of these iPad keyboards that can transmit the ESC key.

Okay, I may be one of the three people on the planet who do this, but still... :)
  • Reply 8 of 34
    kkerst wrote: »
    I wonder if this would support switching between apps using cmd-tab. That's something I wish Apple's BT keyboard would do, but sadly doesn't support.

Double-tap the home key on the keyboard (top left corner).
  • Reply 9 of 34
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Just buy a Surface.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Just buy a Surface.

Nah..... Just buy a Macbook Air.

• Reply 11 of 34

KeyboardGate

If you need a keyboard for your iPAD, you're using it wrong.

• Reply 12 of 34
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

KeyboardGate

Say your high school senior has an iPad you bought him for Christmas.  He goes to college and wants to take notes.  Do you buy him a $150 keyboard, or do you buy him a new $900 MacBook Air?

It's not a terrible idea, the uses are just extremely niche- thats one of the reasons why the surface was a colossal failure.

• Reply 13 of 34
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Just buy a Surface.

Just go away hater. You are just wasting your time.

• Reply 14 of 34
    The "dual stereo speakers" in the video are unbelievable.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Say your high school senior has an iPad you bought him for Christmas.  He goes to college and wants to take notes.  Do you buy him a $150 keyboard, or do you buy him a new $900 MacBook Air?

It's not a terrible idea, the uses are just extremely niche- thats one of the reasons why the surface was a colossal failure.

First, if you bought a high school senior an iPad, and they have no laptop for when they start college, you clearly have your priorities WAY off, as an ipad is mostly a toy, and not geared for any real work.  A laptop can help you do school work, while an ipad will allow you to visit web pages, read ebooks, rattle off short emails, play games, watch movies, check facebook, etc (and you can only guess which of these tasks a college student is going to do the most).

As for taking notes in class...  Personally I found computers/tablets WAY too distracting for taking notes.  There are just way too many things available on the device that are MUCH more exciting than the class.  I'm no longer in school now, but when I'm in an important meeting, I often close my laptop and take out a pencil and pad of paper.

Phil

• Reply 16 of 34
    djames4242 wrote: »
    How come none of these keyboards has an ESC key? I (very) often use Parallels Access to connect to a Windows VM from which I VPN in to the office where I then SSH in to the various Unix machines I support. ESC is critical for using the vi editor and I have yet to see any of these iPad keyboards that can transmit the ESC key.

Okay, I may be one of the three people on the planet who do this, but still... :)

You should try out Server Auditor. I use it for ssh almost every day, and it gives you an on-screen button for esc. Note that a lot of vim users map
    jj

to escape, since you rarely type it for anything else.

The only thing I wish Server Auditor had that it doesn’t is way to type a backtick key, but I can just use
    $()

instead.

If you do use it I’d recommend using tmux or screen so it’s less of a problem when sessions get dropped.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    andysol wrote: »
    ralphmouth wrote: »

KeyboardGate

The iPad has a built-in keyboard; amazing, huh? No need for a $150 add-on keyboard or a $900 laptop. You can even record sound whilst taking notes in case you miss anything. You can also draw diagrams in your notes with your finger and ease, something you'd find difficult on a laptop.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    andysol wrote: »
    ralphmouth wrote: »

KeyboardGate

The iPad has a built-in keyboard; amazing, huh? No need for a $150 add-on keyboard or a $900 laptop. You can even record sound whilst taking notes in case you miss anything. You can also draw diagrams in your notes with your finger and ease, something you'd find difficult on a laptop.

Draw with your fingers while the Surface owner is digging around in his backpack for his stylus. Way to go!
    Later he's digging around for his power adapter and an outlet...
    You could always offer to airdrop the poor slob your notes, but wait.... Microsoft's Surface needs a USB cable to transfer data.... bummer....hehehe.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Buy a 16 gig Wi-Fi iPad Air for $500 or a 128 gig MacBook air for $900? Eh…I'd get the MacBook. Pretty good functionality on this thing though.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Double-tap the home key on the keyboard (top left corner).

You mean the top right - the power button? There is no home button on the top left corner of the apple BT keyboard.