Apple remembers Robin Williams with iTunes tribute page

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2014
Following the untimely death of actor and comedian Robin Williams on Monday, Apple has dedicated a special featured iTunes section to a collection of his best work, ranging from classic comedy routines to movies.

The new section, titled "Remembering Robin Williams," showed up in the iTunes app's top carousel on Tuesday and points to a number of well-known movies, TV shows and audio recordings of Williams' stand-up acts.

Accompanying the iTunes Store selections is a brief explanatory note regarding Williams' life and professional career.
One of the most beloved and unforgettable performers in the history of show business, Robin Williams brought laughter and inspiration to millions. Throughout a career that spanned five decades, Williams evolved from stand up comedian to international movie star. Among the great masters of improv, he transfixed audiences with a mile-a-minute comic energy. Williams' Golden Globe-winning turn in Good Morning, Vietnam demonstrated that his versatile acting talents were equally suited to evoking dramatic complexity. Many of Williams' most iconic performances--in Dead Poets Society, Mrs. Doubtfire, and his Oscar-winning triumph Good Will Hunting--were dazzling high-wire acts that left audiences in tears of laughter one minute and tears of poignancy the next
Apple most recently used a monologue from the movie "Dead Poets Society," which starred Williams as English teacher John Keating, as a basis for the ongoing "Your Verse" iPad ad campaign. The excerpt in part quotes Walt Whitman's poem "O Me! O Life!"

"O me! O life! Of the questions of these recurring; Of the endless trains of the faithless; Of cities filled with the foolish; What good amid these, O me, O life" Answer. That you are here; That life exists and identity; That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse," Keating says, emphasizing the last line to his charges, "That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?"

Apple has used the "Your Verse" campaign to highlight not only the capabilities of iPad, but of its users. With the iPad and iOS App Store nearly anything is possible, the company contends in its ads, illustrating the various ways its tablet is put to use by explorers, musicians, writers, music makers and more.

Among the thousands expressing their condolences on social media yesterday was Apple CEO Tim Cook, who wrote the following on Twitter:

Heartbroken by the news of Robin Williams' passing. He was an incomparable talent and a great human being. Rest in peace.

-- Tim Cook (@tim_cook)

The recipient of multiple awards, including an Oscar and the Hollywood Foreign Press Association's prestigious Cecil B. DeMille Award, Williams died in his Tiburon, Calif. home on Monday at the age of 63.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 103
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

A terrible shame that the depression and character flaws that make a person become an actor, entertainer and comedian are also the traits that push a person to destruction. He was a one-of-a-kind.

• Reply 2 of 103
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    R.I.P
  • Reply 3 of 103

It's a shame that it's not even 24 hours since the news was released, and Apple is already cashing in on William's death. I'm fully convinced the entertainment industry sees it's actors worth more after death than they are alive. 

I'm a fan of William's work, I own many of his movies on DVD already. I hope his legacy continues on for years of laughter with younger generations. 

• Reply 4 of 103
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Suicide by hanging. Shame. RIP
  • Reply 5 of 103
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    sestewart wrote: »
    It's a shame that it's not even 24 hours since the news was released, and Apple is already cashing in on William's death. I'm fully convinced the entertainment industry sees it's actors worth more after death than they are alive. 

I'm a fan of William's work, I own many of his movies on DVD already. I hope his legacy continues on for years of laughter with younger generations. 

Cashing in? In times of loss, people will search for his works. No shame in providing a little area for us. Apple isn't jacking up the prices.

For anyone who needs help, get them help.
  • Reply 6 of 103

The problem isn't Apple it's you. Those cynical people who see money or a conspiracy in everything tragic. It has to be terrible to live a life like that, bereft of total joy but instead look inside and underneath everything that happens.

• Reply 7 of 103
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

Welcome to a capitalist society. In lieu of grief, we pay our respects by purchasing the works that brought us closer to the departed artist and ultimately to ourselves. Somehow it all works out.

• Reply 8 of 103
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

So sad. I felt a palpable sadness yesterday, much more than hearing about other well known celebrities. I grew up imitating Mork and loved the poignancy of Dead Poets Society.

The silver lining is that Williams' passing will amplify discussions surrounding mental illnesses like Depression. So insidious and easy to hide. Secrecy and stigma will be further dissolved as they are exposed to the light of day.

RIP

• Reply 9 of 103

Nice to see the trolls are out already. You must be so happy sitting behind your computer, telling people they lead sad little insignificant pathetic lives. Hope that works out well for you. Obviously you can't comprehend the respect of allowing time of passing before creating a cash positive inflow to a celebrity's stock portfolio. But what should you care, capitalism and monetary gain lives on. 

• Reply 10 of 103
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by wigby View Post

...capitalist...

Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

...capitalism...

What on Earth...

• Reply 11 of 103
    Such a shame. An amazing man and a very talented actor and comedian. I had the very good fortune of spending a couple of hours with him one on one. He was down to earth, and seemingly un-affected by his celebrity. Very, very sad. Rest in peace Robin, you will be missed.
  • Reply 12 of 103
    Where the heck is Good Will Hunting in the dedication page???
  • Reply 13 of 103
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    He stupidly chose to kill himself despite all wealth, success and admiration by the same people posting messages around here - there is nothing "untimely" when you are the one taking such a pathetic decision.
  • Reply 14 of 103
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I read that he had some financial troubles.

He could have just faked his death instead, because all his movies are riding high on all of the charts now, including Amazon where I just took a look.

Anyway, rip to him, because he was a good actor and comedian and I have seen plenty of his movies. He also had some alcohol problems, so I guess it shouldn't be any surprise that people do sometimes choose to kill themselves.

• Reply 15 of 103
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    He stupidly chose to kill himself despite all wealth, success and admiration by the same people posting messages around here - there is nothing "untimely" when you are the one taking such a pathetic decision.

I hope that you never have to battle substance abuse or depression issues. Not all of us can be perfect.
  • Reply 16 of 103

The only stupidity involved is your lack of knowledge on major depression.

• Reply 17 of 103
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I hope that you never have to battle substance abuse or depression issues. Not all of us can be perfect.

As someone battling depression, it was a pathetic decision. And as him, not battling depression, it was a pathetic decision. Killing yourself is never the answer, in any circumstance, and you don’t have to have any experience with thoughts related thereto to be “allowed” to say so. Get over it.

• Reply 18 of 103
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    ......wealth, success and admiration.....

Does not equal happiness. A talented person is not without flaws. Sometimes the inwardly saddest person is the most outwardly funniest.
  • Reply 19 of 103
    Ease up on the hostility guys. Robin Williams gave so many positive things to the world we at least owe him that.
  • Reply 20 of 103
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

As someone battling depression, it was a pathetic decision. And as him, not battling depression, it was a pathetic decision. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Killing yourself is never the answer, in any circumstance, and you don’t have to have any experience with thoughts related thereto to be “allowed” to say so. Get over it.</span>

I'm sorry, i forgot. You are always right and there is no room for discussion.