Uber adds turn-by-turn directions for drivers, Yo gets profiles and hashtags

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
Customers of car-calling service Uber will no longer need to give their driver directions to their destination, while users of inexplicably popular monovocable messaging app Yo can now add hashtags and attach links to Yos. Also, Apple has seeded a new test build of OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 to developers.

Uber

Uber's most recent update allows riders to enter their destination address directly into the app. Drivers will be able to see the destination on their own app at the time of pickup, and will receive turn-by-turn directions using Apple's built-in maps.

According to Uber, the change will benefit both riders and drivers. Riders will no longer need to communicate their destination to the driver orally, while drivers will not be forced to contend with multiple apps or devices if they find themselves in need of directions.

Uber version 2.35.0 is available now as a free, 13.7-megabyte download from the App Store.

Yo

Screenshots courtesy of The Next Web

Yo has now expanded its feature list past a single line, adding the ability to attach links to Yos. Users must have the link in their clipboard before sending a Yo, and they can attach it by long-pressing a username.

Additionally, users can choose a profile name and photo. Yos also support hashtags, and users can configure Yo to Yo them when a web service --?such as Instagram or Craigslist --?is updated.

Yo version 1.1.0 is available now as a free, 13.1-megabyte download from the App Store.

Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.5

Developers: A new beta of OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 is now available for testing. It's identified as build "13F14."

-- Tip AppleInsider (@TipAppleInsider)

The latest build of OS X Mavericks is now available for download from the Apple Developer Center, as well as the Mac App Store. The operating system carries build number 13F14.

Apple has tasked developers with testing a number of areas, with particular focus on USB and USB-attached accessories, Safari, and Thunderbolt.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Yo's next update will allow a message to be sent.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Apparently Uber and Lyft are in a deathmatch for control of the post-taxi driving service. At least in SF, anyway. And they're also apparently crushing traditional taxi service.

10 Ads That Show What A Circus The War Between Uber And Lyft Has Become
    [URL=http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/10-Childish-Ads-That-Show-The-Dramatic-War-5686268.php]http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/10-Childish-Ads-That-Show-The-Dramatic-War-5686268.php[/URL]

Fine. I'll keep my cars, thank you very much. (And maybe I'll call Zipcar for the occasional too-late-to-ride-BART scenario.)
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Apparently Uber and Lyft are in a deathmatch for control of the post-taxi driving service. At least in SF, anyway. And they're also apparently crushing traditional taxi service.

10 Ads That Show What A Circus The War Between Uber And Lyft Has Become

http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/10-Childish-Ads-That-Show-The-Dramatic-War-5686268.php

Fine. I'll keep my cars, thank you very much. (And maybe I'll call Zipcar for the occasional too-late-to-ride-BART scenario.)

don't know about lyft, but uber has been really crappy lately. the drivers don't know their way around town and are constantly relying on gps to get them around. i have a friend who, 6 months ago, swore by uber. she's now going back to taxis. it's all good, though. taxi cab drivers now need to step up their game. 

• Reply 4 of 5
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

don't know about lyft, but uber has been really crappy lately. the drivers don't know their way around town and are constantly relying on gps to get them around. i have a friend who, 6 months ago, swore by uber. she's now going back to taxis. it's all good, though. taxi cab drivers now need to step up their game. 

Agree.  Never tried either Uber or Lyft, and can't remember the last time I took a taxi locally.  (Mid-90s maybe?)

Can't wait until the day when I can buy a car with CarPlay built-in.  Some time next year, I hope.

Already have the make and model picked out, along with color and options.  Hopefully with European delivery.

• Reply 5 of 5
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Uber appears to be run by a bunch of spoiled children.  No way am I giving a company like this my money.