Rumor: Apple supplier Pegatron nets 50% of 4.7-inch 'iPhone 6' production

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
A rumor out of the Far East on Thursday claims Apple partner supplier Pegatron will be responsible for half of all 4.7-inch "iPhone 6" production, with the remainder going to Foxconn.

Citing sources from Apple's supply chain, Digitimes reports Pegatron has won 50 percent of all Apple orders for what is expected to be the smaller of two next-generation iPhone models, a substantially larger share than was previously projected.

The publication claims Apple is expected to ship 50 million 4.7-inch iPhone 6 units by the end of 2014, with Pegatron and Foxconn landing 25 million handsets each. According to sources, Pegatron's share of orders comes thanks to a strengthened relationship with the Cupertino tech giant, which has supposedly been looking to shift supply chain reliance away from Foxconn.

In May, it was rumored that Pegatron would see as little as 15 percent of 4.7-inch iPhone 6 orders, with a bulk of manufacturing going to longtime partner supplier Foxconn. A month later, that number grew to 30 percent. Currently, sources estimate Apple orders -- limited to devices like the iPhone 5c, 4S and iPad mini -- account for 35 to 40 percent of Pegatron's revenues, meaning the high-end iPhone order will likely be a massive boost to the company's bottom line.

Today's report goes on to say that Foxconn is expected to retain all orders of a larger 5.5-inch iPhone model, though the latest rumblings say production issues may delay the "phablet" device. Combined 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone shipments are anticipated to hit 70 million to 80 million units by year's end, making the upcoming release Apple's biggest smartphone launch ever.

The iPhone 6 is expected to debut at a special media event on Sept. 9. Building up to its fall launch, supposed parts leaks and scuttlebutt suggest the next-gen handset will boast a high-capacity battery, A8 processor, 802.11ac Wi-Fi and possibly NFC support.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    I'm not a betting man, so it's lucky than I won't actually have to pay out when I say I bet there is no 5.5" iPhone being released this year even if I am wrong, which I am sure I won't be. Here's why. Remember all the talk about screen resolutions when the screen last bumped from 3.5" to 4"? All the talk about how developers would have to resize their apps on top of providing retina "x2" assets etc etc. Then when the iPad Mini was out all the talk before was about the screen resolution, and how they couldn't bring in another format for developers to work with and it would have to be the same size as a full size iPad with the screen elements simply scaled differently etc. Same goes for a new iPhone screen format. Firstly, what is the resolution? Is is the same as an iPhone 5 but simply scaled up? Doubt it, the PPI of an iPhone screen is already "low" in comparison to most other flagship displays these days. So, another screen resolution then? Would have to be, and assuming the 16:9 ratio is maintained it would have to be some multiple of that. That covers the 4.7" rumour, but what of the 5.5"? Will that be yet another resolution, or a scaled up version of the 4.7" display? The iPad has 1 resolution across 2 screen sizes. The iPhone has 2 resolutions, over 2 screen sizes. Given that support for the 3.5" 4S has to be maintained as it's supported by iOS8, is this going to be bumped to 3 or 4 resolutions across the phone line up? Basically, I have heard no talk about this sort of thing that was very prevalent before the iPhone 5 and iPad Mini. No clever hauling through iOS betas to find the references to such things and so on like before, and no chatter from worried developers about having to cover up to 6 screen formats (luckily at least everything is Retina now which halves the load). I'm not even sure we will see a 4.7" for this very reason, and am 100% that there will be no 5.5" version (and even if I was wrong about this, I would say it's more likely to be an iPad Nano than a phone).
  • Reply 2 of 22
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

If it is an iPad Nano, then it would have the same problem, 1 resolution in 3 difference screen size? 5.5 would be about 450PPI.

Although I wouldn't mind an iPad Nano with VoLTE capability.

• Reply 3 of 22
    LTE 6/7 too?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    The good news for me here is Apple's diversification of its manufacturing base. This isn't just good for reducing dependance it is also good for increasing production capabilities. Win win ...
  • Reply 5 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Looks and smells like a rumor to spark up Pegatron's stock. Not buying it without concrete proof.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

I wish we'd see credible leaks of the 5.5.  Otherwise I can't help but feel it's a way for analysts to later be "disappointed" that Apple is "sticking to the same old upgrade pattern."

Oh and great for Pegatron, if true.  But it is being reported by Digitimes, sooooo....

• Reply 7 of 22
    allenbf wrote: »
    I wish we'd see credible leaks of the 5.5.  Otherwise I can't help but feel it's a way for analysts to later be "disappointed" that Apple is "sticking to the same old upgrade pattern."

Oh and great for Pegatron, if true.  But it is being reported by Digitimes, sooooo....

There is no evidence of a 5.5" at this time. Ignore claims saying otherwise.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    sog35 wrote: »
    Common sense is evidence

That is something sorely lacking in your posts, mate.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

More proof of 5.5.

Do you really think Apple will only sell 50 million iPhone6 by the end of the Year?  LOL.

YOu do if you think there will be no 5.5.

So basically you are saying that the 4.7 iPhone6 will sell less than the 5S?

The only explanation is the 5.5 will sell an additional 20-30 million units

Apple sold roughly 48 million iPhone 5s' in Q1 2013.  70-80 million expected sales of the iP6 is a rumor, but even if true, it isn't much of a stretch to think Apple expects 70-80 million sales of the 4.7 iPhone 6...this is shaping up to be the biggest release of the iPhone since the original.  Plus more countries (Thailand, etc).

Still no credible leaks of a 5.5.  Your "logic" doesn't convince me otherwise.

• Reply 10 of 22
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

I'm not a betting man, so it's lucky than I won't actually have to pay out when I say I bet there is no 5.5" iPhone being released this year even if I am wrong, which I am sure I won't be. Here's why. Remember all the talk about screen resolutions when the screen last bumped from 3.5" to 4"? All the talk about how developers would have to resize their apps on top of providing retina "x2" assets etc etc. Then when the iPad Mini was out all the talk before was about the screen resolution, and how they couldn't bring in another format for developers to work with and it would have to be the same size as a full size iPad with the screen elements simply scaled differently etc. Same goes for a new iPhone screen format. Firstly, what is the resolution? Is is the same as an iPhone 5 but simply scaled up? Doubt it, the PPI of an iPhone screen is already "low" in comparison to most other flagship displays these days. So, another screen resolution then? Would have to be, and assuming the 16:9 ratio is maintained it would have to be some multiple of that. That covers the 4.7" rumour, but what of the 5.5"? Will that be yet another resolution, or a scaled up version of the 4.7" display? The iPad has 1 resolution across 2 screen sizes. The iPhone has 2 resolutions, over 2 screen sizes. Given that support for the 3.5" 4S has to be maintained as it's supported by iOS8, is this going to be bumped to 3 or 4 resolutions across the phone line up? Basically, I have heard no talk about this sort of thing that was very prevalent before the iPhone 5 and iPad Mini. No clever hauling through iOS betas to find the references to such things and so on like before, and no chatter from worried developers about having to cover up to 6 screen formats (luckily at least everything is Retina now which halves the load). I'm not even sure we will see a 4.7" for this very reason, and am 100% that there will be no 5.5" version (and even if I was wrong about this, I would say it's more likely to be an iPad Nano than a phone).

Bah,,, That's no bet!

I'm betting the new iPhones will have flat edges, not rounded. And I'm betting the farm, baby!!

• Reply 11 of 22
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Common sense is evidence
    I hope we don't have to fear for your safety if the end of the year comes and there's no 5.5" phone. :\
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:

Your 48 million 5S does not include the 5 million sold in September.

So are you telling me Apple will sell less iPhone6 in 2014 ( 50 million) than iPhone5S in 2013 ( 53 million)?????

You need to re-read what I said.  

If Apple can sell 53 million iP5s, then they can easily sell 70+ million of the iP6 4.7".  Again - doesn't prove the existence of the 5.5 if we're using "estimates" as "proof."

• Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

my guess... 5.5 was seeded by Apple to troll for leakers, and to keep competition guessing.   Sort of like Patton's Ghost Army.

• Reply 14 of 22
    While Pegatron is a Taiwanese company, it has much of its production in the Peoples Republic of China. Despite the current cost advantages, Apple and other US technology companies need to ween themselves from reliance on manufacturing in the PRC. Just as US oil companies thought that investing in Russia was a good idea, as China becomes a greater economic and political adversary, Apple will be at a disadvantage in the future. Apple needs to be ready to work with other manufacturers who are not invested in the PRC.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    opusmundi wrote: »
    While Pegatron is a Taiwanese company, it has much of its production in the Peoples Republic of China. Despite the current cost advantages, Apple and other US technology companies need to ween themselves from reliance on manufacturing in the PRC. Just as US oil companies thought that investing in Russia was a good idea, as China becomes a greater economic and political adversary, Apple will be at a disadvantage in the future. Apple needs to be ready to work with other manufacturers who are not invested in the PRC.

FYI: it's spelled "wean". "Ween" is a rock group.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by OpusMundi View Post

But why?

Quote:

Mobile Units - iPad+iPhone

Would be great, So then Apple could hide those iPad numbers from the Wall Street guess work.

Quote:

LTE 6/7 too?

LTE 6 is pretty much guaranteed.  Apple has 3 options.

Qualcomm 20nm 9x35 modem, the most likely choice since it supports CDMA.

Intel 7260, should be much cheaper then Qualcomm but does not offer CDMA.

Or their in house 4G baseband Integrated into A8.  

• Reply 17 of 22
    Common sense is evidence

Common sense at one time was that the world was flat, the sun orbited the earth and that space and time were absolute.

All wrong, proven with evidence of the real kind.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I wish we'd see credible leaks of the 5.5.

I’m glad we haven’t.

1. Phablets are a huge segment - over 100,000,000 sold the last 3 years

2. Apple is already willing to make a 2 handed phone - the 4.7.  5.5 is just the next logical step

3. only 50 million 4.7's to be produces for 2014.  Way too little if they are only making the 4.7

4. Way too many leaks from the far east

Please just shut up. It was funny only the first few times after I realized you were joking, but now you’re just acting like a moron.

• Reply 19 of 22

So we can no longer speculate on this board any more?

Thanks for pretending that is in ANY WAY what you are doing. It is not.

Reported. 

Good for you. Spamming every thread with this garbage will probably endear you well.

• Reply 20 of 22
    The earth is the center of the universe.
    You need to prove the universe has an end to prove otherwise. If there is no end to the universe than the earth is the center. And the moon, and the sun, and saturn

Common sense

Common sense is not the same thing as an assertion which cannot be proven wrong. Common sense: absence of proof is not proof of absence.