Beats Music app added to 'Made by Apple' list in iOS App Store

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
More than two months after its acquisition of Beats was announced, Apple on Friday officially added the Beats Music streaming audio app to the App Store's featured "Made by Apple" list.

While the free Beats Music app now holds a place on the "Made by Apple" App Store page, the title's developer is still listed as Beats Music, LLC., in line with Apple's promise to keep the firm a separate brand entity.

Beats first launched its subscription-based streaming app and service in January, setting it apart from the crowd with better content discovery and "humanized" song curation.

Following Apple's Beats buyout, the app has rocketed up the charts and now sits at No. 4 in Music, No. 24 for all free apps and No. 41 for top grossing titles. Those numbers are expected to rise even higher after being added to the Made by Apple section and crowned as one of the App Store's "Best New Apps."

Beats Music was last updated at the end of July with enhancements for song suggestions and search history functions. A subscription app, Beats Music boasts an ad-free playlist with over 20 million songs for $9.99 per month or $99.99 per year. First-time users can try out the service free for one week, while certain AT&T customers can extend that period to three months.

Apple purchased Beats -- comprised of Beats Electronics and Beats Music -- in May for $3 billion, making it the tech giant's most expensive acquisition to date. Along with Beats' hardware and software arms, Apple snagged employees and co-founders Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre as part of the deal. The two media heavyweights will take on senior roles in Cupertino, though it is unclear what impact they will have on Apple's decision making process.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

More than two months after its acquisition of Beats, Apple on Friday officially added the Beats Music streaming audio app to the App Store's featured "Made by Apple" list.

The deal wasn't finalized until last week so I don't think they could list the Beats app as truly made by Apple until now.

BTW I noticed yesterday in the Spike Lee documentary that the logo has been changed to a play button. When did that happen?

Edit: Looks like the Beats Music logo has the play button and Beats Audio has the round version.

• Reply 2 of 47
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Too bad they didn't change the rap-centric name as I'll never use or buy it. When they bought Soundjam which became iTunes at least they changed it to an Applelike name. Don't they realize they are alienating many potential customers because Beats denotes rap and hip hop?
  • Reply 3 of 47

Samsung will probably be buying SMS Audio pretty soon.

• Reply 4 of 47
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Too bad they didn't change the rap-centric name as I'll never use or buy it. When they bought Soundjam which became iTunes at least they changed it to an Applelike name. Don't they realize they are alienating many potential customers because Beats denotes rap and hip hop?

I really like the name and I don't think the origins of the Beats brand will matter in the least. The streaming service covers the whole gamut of music and the headphones may or may not change. Either way, they are selling just fine. Beats is a very Apple like name in my view. But yeah, terrible they didn't changed the name for you even though you'd never use the service :no:

• Reply 5 of 47
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Why can't I subscribe through my iTunes account? It wants an email address or my Facebook whenever I open the app. Doesn't make any sense.
  • Reply 6 of 47

Beats Music app is still on Google Play.

• Reply 7 of 47

No Beats Music in the UK App Store.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Originally Posted by mstone 

Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat years ago. Is that what happened?

We don't care if it's on Google Play or not. This is Apple Insider, geddit?

• Reply 8 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

No Beats Music in the UK App Store.

We don't care if it's on Google Play or not. This is Apple Insider, geddit?

I can only speak for myself, but I do care if it is on Google Play or not. I would prefer 'not'.

• Reply 9 of 47
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Getting some Apple apps on android is not a bad idea. Trick is to always have them better on iOS.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Why not just shut it down and transfer customers to iTunes? No need for 2 music services. 

• Reply 11 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Getting some Apple apps on android is not a bad idea.

It’s the opposite of any good idea, and there aren’t any neutral ideas…

• Reply 12 of 47
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    It ain't free if I get a new bill. I hate these apps that are free but all they show me is a login screen . Stupid. At least iTunes Radio is free with commercials. So is Pandora.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

It ain't free if I get a new bill. I hate these apps that are free but all they show me is a login screen . Stupid. At least iTunes Radio is free with commercials. So is Pandora.

Tell me about it. Any app that requires a login gets deleted double quick (AI excepted, of course).

• Reply 14 of 47

I am pretty sure there are neutral ideas , though.

Anyway google makes money on iOS. Apple could do the same on Android. As it makes money with iTunes on windows.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Anyway google makes money on iOS. Apple could do the same on Android. As it makes money with iTunes on windows.

I don't think so.To me, it seems much better to keep making iOS devices more desirable so Android users switch. Remember, iTunes for Windows was necessary because you needed a computer to activate an iPhone and many iPhone buyers were Windows users. That is no longer the case, you don't need a computer. iTunes for Windows is becoming less relevant everyday. They already canceled Safari for Windows.

• Reply 16 of 47
    mstone wrote: »
    I don't think so.To me, it seems much better to keep making iOS devices more desirable so Android users switch. Remember, iTunes for Windows was necessary because you needed a computer to activate an iPhone and many iPhone buyers were Windows users. That is no longer the case, you don't need a computer. iTunes for Windows is becoming less relevant everyday. They already canceled Safari for Windows.

iTunes for windows preceded the iPhone. It was for the iPod.

That doesn't invalidate your argument though. However music is big for Apple on windows and iOS, I think for that one - Music - they need to also target Android.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

This is tough for Apple. Making Beats App exclusive to iOS will move new people over but keeping it on droid will be a stream of revenue from those who can't afford iPhone.

You guys are gonna hate me but....
    If Apple released a black Beats iPhone with red Beats logo on the back it would move a crapload of droid users over.
    Pack in Beats earbuds and you'll see 5c numbers.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Since when is making money not a good idea?
  • Reply 19 of 47
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I don't think so.To me, it seems much better to keep making iOS devices more desirable so Android users switch.

Making Beats exclusive to Apple would fit Jobs vision of not making droid users happy and would definitely make iOS more desirable.

There's a problem though, how will droid users know that Beats is now an Apple exclusive? I can see a lot of droid users thinking "uh where'd it go?" but their mind not clicking that the app is still available on iPhone.

I GOT IT!!!!!

Apple should make Beats a default app on iOS 8! like Stocks/Maps/Safari/etc. not only would it be blatantly obvious it's iOS-only but it would also promote the heck out of the service and raise awareness to the few who don't know it exists. It should still be removable though.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

This is tough for Apple. Making Beats App exclusive to iOS will move new people over but keeping it on droid will be a stream of revenue from those who can't afford iPhone.

I suppose it depends on the numbers. Beats is a relatively new service. I wonder what the breakdown is of Android paying accounts verses iOS paid accounts. We've discussed at times that Android people don't like to pay. Does Beats, or did Beats have a web based service?

Edit looks like they do have a web player.