Sprint's new family plan brings doubles data, lures in users with low pricing

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
Sprint on Monday announced a new data-centric plan called the Family Share Pack, offering twice the amount of data as competitors for the same or cheaper monthly pricing.

Available Friday as part of its "new day for data" campaign, the Sprint Family Share Pack doubles up on its outgoing "Framily" plan by giving families 20GB of shared data per month, with special pricing to attract new subscribers.

"Sprint is offering the best value to data-hungry consumers. Period," said new Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure. "We are doubling the high-speed wireless data because today's customers rely so much on their smartphones and tablets."

In line with past service launches, Sprint is sweetening the deal with a limited-time pricing promotion for new customers, tacking on 20GB of data to unlimited talk and text plans for a $100 monthly fee. The carrier is also giving a "bonus" 2GB of data per line for up to ten lines, increasing savings through the promotional period that runs through 2015.

Pricing for existing users comes out to $160 per month for 20GB of shared data for up to 10 lines. A full rundown of the plan is included below:

In addition to the lower monthly fees, Sprint is attempting to gain -- or take back -- subscribers by paying up to $350 in Easy Pay credit to cover early termination fees for customers switching away from other providers.

Sprint said it will unveil more new plans in the coming days, hinting at revamped pricing tiers for individual subscribers.

The new initiative -- and Claure's debut as CEO -- comes two weeks after Sprint abandoned its pursuit of rival carrier T-Mobile, which would have merged the two telcos to form a competitive third-place carrier behind Verizon and AT&T.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Seems like right now is the second best time in history to be buying an iPhone.

Good for me, I guess.

• Reply 2 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Used to have them many years ago, but one bad customer service experience sent me to T-mobile (which I later dumped because they had no iPhone at the time)...

• Reply 3 of 17
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    Thats horribly deceptive ... The $100 for 20GB data doesn't include the per/phone fee... While T-Mobiles $100 for 4 phones DOES.. T-mobiles plan is very up-front.. Sprints make's it look like it's only $100 but in reality it is much more..

For 20GB plus and 4 phones it's $100 $60 for $160/mo... Umm thats EQUIL to Verizon and ATT.. LOL

If you want 10 phones, it's $100 for data and 10 phones x$15 for $250/mo total.. how is this better/cheeper?

Granted, for a 'limited' time you get another 2.5GB of data per phone.. but I don't count that as I look long term for me services on my cell.. I can't count on keeping that extra data so it's a non-starter for me.. This is why I left Sprint.. WAY TO MANY CABLE like temporary 'specials' and complicated plans to make the customer confused so they can stick it to them..

Same Sprint; hostile toward the consumer and sucking as much as they can out of them... Nothings changed, same ol' here, move along..
  • Reply 4 of 17
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    adrayven wrote: »
    For 20GB plus and 4 phones it's $100 $60 for $160/mo... Umm thats EQUIL to Verizon and ATT.. LOL

Except that you're not taking into consideration that it's double the amount of data than VZW, and AT&T are including.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Sprint could offer unlimited everything for $1 a month and I still wouldn't go with them.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Is it just me or did no one notice "through 2015" for the Sprint deal? That means they can screw your sister come 2016.
  • Reply 7 of 17

Hidden costs here. The biggest one being Sprint not allowing other carrier phones onto their network. If you don't already have a Sprint phone, you have to buy a new one. With four lines, that's a big lump sum to convert over to Sprint's network, and those phones cannot be used on any other network if you decide to leave Sprint. I already spent $750 for an unlocked iPhone last year, and can already choose between T-Mobile, AT&T, and MVNO options. The math on this plan falls apart if I cannot bring my own device(s) over to Sprint.

Also, Sprint's device access fee is waived until the end of next year. Another one of these bait and switch offers that takes the monthly cost back up to $160 after the promotion expires. Also, I don't see anything about any contract commitments. Verizon and AT&T also have device fees, but they're already baked into the cost shown on the table.

T-Mobile's offer is also a promo. But, at the end of the promo period, only the data allowance reverts back -- the monthly charge does not change.

• Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Is it just me or did no one notice "through 2015" for the Sprint deal? That means they can screw your sister come 2016.

That's for the device access fee. Normally $15/month per line, but waived through the end of next year.

• Reply 9 of 17
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Sprint lost me as a customer a long time ago when they randomly charged me internet access fees even though I turned that off. They blamed me for it.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Too bad their network SUCKS!

I will be jumping off the ship come iPhone6!
  • Reply 11 of 17
    bdj1bdj1 Posts: 13member
    for a limited time, minus the 15 each month for each line... 10 lines that is 150 extra each month. Now for all the extra data, well, I have unlimited now can't get it to work when I need it in South Dakota... so unlimited amounts of nothing is still nothing.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Same on the coast. Also I rarely get 4G in California and when I do it's a whopping 3 bars! But most of the time just a connection would be nice! Junk!
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macart View Post

Same on the coast. Also I rarely get 4G in California and when I do it's a whopping 3 bars! But most of the time just a connection would be nice! Junk!

Good luck reaching these limits with the pathetic speeds of their pokey network. Unless you're in one of the very few places where they actually have LTE service, you're stuck with lousy EVDO speeds which don't even begin to compare with what other carriers call 3G.

I'm so happy the attempted merger with T-Mobile failed. Sprint sucks big green donkey dicks.

• Reply 14 of 17
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member

Sprint's best plan would be to dump CDMA and switch everything to GSM/LTE. That would be hard, but possible. 

• Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I noticed it immediately also.

Although the thought of Sprint screwing my sister never entered my mind.

Thanks for that.

Not.

• Reply 16 of 17

Sprints pricing plan gives you 20gigs of data vs 10 at the same price point and it It also is 100 till 2015 for 4 lines.   The data is the difference going forward.. But how is their service???? 

• Reply 17 of 17

It's a lousy advertizement, but it will work in America..... where people buy house for 250K and they end up paying almost a million after 30 years...

T-mobile has the best prices hands down.

4 phones for $100, 10 GB. Customer has to purchase phone cash or in monthly installments without interest.

Sprint:

4 phones for $75, 10 GB + 4x$25 per line (not discounted phone, same as above) = $175