Disney expands 'Star Wars' iOS franchise with 'Commander' real-time strategy game

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
After soft-launching in the Australian iOS App Store nearly two months ago, Disney Interactive's "Star Wars: Commander" saw wide release on Thursday, bringing real-time strategy "Rebellion vs. Empire" gameplay to Apple's mobile devices.

Set in the Star Wars universe during the "Galactic Civil War" (Episodes IV through VI for fans of the movie series), Star Wars: Commander lets players take sides with the Rebel Alliance or the Galactic Empire to lead familiar machines of war like AT-ATs and TIE fighters into battle.

Instead of the interactive, story-driven app Star Wars Scene Maker, or the exploration-style game Star Wars Journeys: The Phantom Menace, Star Wars: Commander is a blend of base defense and full-on assault game types. Interesting in-game mechanics like upgradable weapons and deployments join comics-inspired graphics to add to the game's style.

From the release notes:
  • Build and defend a base: Train unique troops specific to each faction, and fortify a base with deflector shields, turrets, heavy artillery, and other defenses.
  • Lead epic battles: Strategically deploy powerful armies, units, and vehicles against enemies and other players around the galaxy.
  • Travel to multiple planets and complete special missions: Play an all-new story as a valiant leader on the front lines of the Galactic Civil War.
  • Upgrade a strike team and its defenses: Strengthen forces with multiple levels of upgrades for each unit.

The app will be an iOS exclusive at launch and is Disney's third branded Star Wars title since the company took over Lucasfilm, and thereby LucasArts, in 2012.

Star Wars: Commander is available now as a free 56.9MB download from the iOS App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Initial excitement replaced by disappointment when I saw that it was a freemium game.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Initial excitement replaced by disappointment when I saw that it was a freemium game.

Ditto, thought it might finally be an iOS version of Galactic Battlegrounds.

This is pure suck.  Wish I could feed Mickey Mouse to a Rancor.

• Reply 3 of 41
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    If it's like CoC it won't be bad. CoC is playable without spending money but I put in $10 since I enjoy it enough
  • Reply 4 of 41
    cyniccynic Posts: 124member
    This is really disappointing, sadly it seems the only way to try reversing this whole Freemium trend is people simply spending more money on regular titles. This includes being ready to pay around $10 for a game like this. Really sad that Freemium is still making more money.

I would have gladly paid a good price for a game like this in an unrestricted version, designed for fun and challenge rather than for time grind.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cynic View Post

This is really disappointing, sadly it seems the only way to try reversing this whole Freemium trend is people simply spending more money on regular titles. This includes being ready to pay around $10 for a game like this. Really sad that Freemium is still making more money.

I would have gladly paid a good price for a game like this in an unrestricted version, designed for fun and challenge rather than for time grind.

I wouldve paid $10 (Like I did Knights of the Old Republic).  Instead- I wont be downloading this.

Thanks Disney

• Reply 6 of 41

I’m sick of Disney garbagizing everything they own. Rather, everything they’ve purchased and amalgamated.

• Reply 7 of 41
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Just face it people, freemium games are here to stay.

I'd rather pay for a game outright, but the situation is what it is. Freemium games make money for the developers.

I've been playing a few games that are freemium, and if you are good enough, then you will be kicking ass. You will even be kicking ass VS crappy players who lack talent but spend a lot of money.

I love RTS games and I've mentioned this before on this forum, but I've been playing World of Tanks Blitz a little bit, since it was released, and that game is freemium.

You don't need to spend anything to advance in that game, unless you want to. I've spent about $10 on that game so far, big deal. And I am kicking ass, and I am having fun while doing it.

• Reply 8 of 41

Gotta love people who complain without actually trying the product.  Here's a review I found:

Quote:

There are the usual offers to purchase crystals in this game, as there are with similar games. Crystals can be used to speed along upgrades, buy more worker droids for building, or exchanged for alloy and/or credits. I haven't bought any crystals and really don't intend to at the moment - I haven't found the need.

This game rates a 7/10 - I enjoy Clash of Clans, so a Star Wars version of this was always going to be a winner with me. If the AI bugs and slow loading issues can be ironed out, this can be a great game!

It seems like a CoC clone which isn't bad.  It's the way a freemium game should be designed although the genre helps a lot.  Unlike say...RR3.  Using money helps but is not required.  If you pay what would have been fair anyway it's a wash.  I have spend enough time playing that the $10 I spent on gems to get my 3rd builder was what I think I would have paid for the game otherwise.  Compared to what I used to pay for a MMO it's cheap.

What will make or break SW:C is how many folks end up playing since CoC is a fairly social game.

• Reply 9 of 41
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I’m sick of Disney garbagizing everything they own. Rather, everything they’ve purchased and amalgamated.

It does look like they're going to ruin the franchise somewhat. These mini-games are probably just serving to build interest in the franchise for the upcoming Episode VII:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2488496/

You can see the photo there of Vader taking a selfie. They're just making a joke of the whole thing. Casting the same actors from nearly 40 years ago is going to be a challenge too:

If Disney had control of the franchise from the beginning, you can bet they wouldn't have cut Luke's arm off. I just wish they'd make a game like the one LucasArts was going to make:

[VIDEO]

It doesn't matter if it goes to another company to develop. Give it to Crytek and let them build it.

[VIDEO]

They can recreate the scenes flying through the trees on Endor. Disney already made an app like the Racing one they had on the Mac years ago but they always end up being watered down:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/star-wars-journeys-phantom/id796726213?mt=8
  • Reply 10 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It does look like they're going to ruin the franchise somewhat. These mini-games are probably just serving to build interest in the franchise for the upcoming Episode VII:

From what I’ve seen of the sequel trilogy, I have a little faith that won’t be garbage. At most, however, it would only partially atone for the prequels. They could be very good movies, but they’d have to be extremely good to stand on their own right.

I have confidence in Abrams, and I’m happy they’re going back to PRACTICAL effects, but shooting on film instead of digital? That’s just idiotic. It’s not the medium that wrecked the prequels, it’s the effects. And acting. AND LETTING LUCAS BOTH DIRECT AND WRITE MY STARS IT’S LIKE HE’S STRAIGHT OUT OF EFFING FILM SCHOOL TALK, STAND UP, WALK THREE PACES, TURN AROUND TALK SOME MORE WHAT AM I WATCHING.

But no, regarding the original actors, Hamill looks like he’ll rock the role just fine. Jedi beard and all.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 95

As for Leia, she needs to Leia-off the junk food. I don’t want an aging spinster, I want a svelte granny Organa in these movies.

That… that didn’t… 

Anyway, canceling 1313 was idiotic. Disney destroys everything they get their hands on. Pixar needs to buy their freedom. It’s noting but sequels from here on out. Yes, the movie with the girl and the stuff in her head–Disney has control over EVERYTHING they do. We don’t need a Finding Nemo 2. The story was over. Period. Monsters University surprised me; I didn’t think that they’d be able to go back to a world before laugh power, but they did a decent job.

Cars 2 was garbage only because they shoehorned the original characters into it. If it had been entirely new characters in the same world, it would have done better. Cars 3 doesn’t need to exist. WHY are they making a third if not to do what I just said before.

But in spite of all this, I’m quite happy for The Incredibles 2. I loved that world and am really happy to see more of it.

Anyway, Star Wars. Excited for the sequel trilogy, optimistic in its presentation (practical effects, etc), disgusted that Disney now owns the franchise and will whore it out to the lowest bidder anywhere in any situation. After the sequels, Disney said they’d be doing a new “movie” or “show” once every couple of years. Words that begin with V come to mind…

• Reply 11 of 41

Wow, Leia looks like she could be playing Jabba the Hut!

• Reply 12 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Disney destroys everything they get their hands on. Pixar needs to buy their freedom. It’s noting but sequels from here on out. Yes, the movie with the girl and the stuff in her head–Disney has control over EVERYTHING they do. We don’t need a Finding Nemo 2. The story was over. Period. Monsters University surprised me; I didn’t think that they’d be able to go back to a world before laugh power, but they did a decent job.

Cars 2 was garbage only because they shoehorned the original characters into it. If it had been entirely new characters in the same world, it would have done better. Cars 3 doesn’t need to exist. WHY are they making a third if not to do what I just said before.

But in spite of all this, I’m quite happy for The Incredibles 2. I loved that world and am really happy to see more of it.

Anyway, Star Wars. Excited for the sequel trilogy, optimistic in its presentation (practical effects, etc), disgusted that Disney now owns the franchise and will whore it out to the lowest bidder anywhere in any situation. After the sequels, Disney said they’d be doing a new “movie” or “show” once every couple of years. Words that begin with V come to mind…

I disagree with this strongly.

They bought Marvel Films and made them substantially better.  The first films under the Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures were:

Iron Man 3- their first foray in the Marvel world- was slightly better than Iron Man 2 (based on Rot. Tom)

The Avengers

Thor 2 was better than Thor

Captain America Winter Soldier was immensely better than the first Capt America- and probably the best Marvel film to date- with the exception of possibly.....

Guardians of the Galaxy- which was incredible.

Regarding the Marvel universe- Disney has done nothing but elevate their game and get better and better and better.

Maybe you think Columbia does it better with The Amazing Spider Man 2, and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.  ;)

Regarding sequels- most movies are almost always worse than their predecessor- Disney, if only on their live action- has gotten substantially better with sequels of movies they took over- so I feel comfortable with Star Wars.  Really, could it be any worse than Hayden Christensen?

As for Pixar- getting Catmull and Lasseter was the best thing Disney ever did for Disney Animated studios- with their influence, Disney, itself, is in the middle of a resurgence.  Their first film under their complete control was Princess and the Frog, then Tangled, then Winnie the Pooh, then Wreck-It-Ralph, and- of course- Frozen.

I love Pixar- and they changed the game.  But for Disney, even if Pixar fell off the map, and Disney keeps churning like they did back in the 30s, 40s, and 90s- it is a massive success for the world of animated film.  Its all about building the Disney name- not the Pixar one- and as much as you might hate it- the Disney name is way more important than Pixar.

Lets not forget that under Disney rule, Pixar has made Wall-E and Up (although they made Brave, which was solid- but not "Pixar quality")

Now, Disney's first "Pixar sequel" was Toy Story 3- which was absolutely incredible, and the best Toy Story to date.  That success/confidence led them to pen more sequels.  Cars 2- no clue what they were thinking except $$$.  Little boys love Cars.  That sucked.  Monsters U was ok.  But their next 2 films in 2015 are both originals- and Bob Peterson (Up) and Pete Docter (Up & Monsters Inc) are the two directors for those 2.

Disney is in a resurgence, and it's actually pretty awesome.  Just pretend Cars 2 didn't happen.  :)

• Reply 13 of 41
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

They bought Marvel Films and made them substantially better.  The first films under the Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures were:

Iron Man 3- their first foray in the Marvel world- was slightly better than Iron Man 2 (based on Rot. Tom)

The Avengers

Thor 2 was better than Thor

Captain America Winter Soldier was immensely better than the first Capt America- and probably the best Marvel film to date- with the exception of possibly.....

Guardians of the Galaxy- which was incredible.

I’ll agree with everything here except Thor. Really? The franchise itself is garbage, but the first one was at least marginally better than the second. I’ve heard CA2 was very good; haven’t seen it yet. Need to.

GotG doesn’t seem like it succeeded to me, but Jar Jar has devastated my view of animal sidekicks.

Maybe you think Columbia does it better with The Amazing Spider Man 2, and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.  ;)

I think Spider-Man didn’t need a reboot at all. 3 was horrible, but all it would have needed is a 4th done well.

Really, could it be any worse than Hayden Christensen?

These are questions that shouldn’t be asked, if only to not give people ideas.

As for Pixar- getting Catmull and Lasseter was the best thing Disney ever did for Disney Animated studios- with their influence, Disney, itself, is in the middle of a resurgence.

Oh yes; they’re certainly the best people for the job there. It’s just the ownership and marketing, whoring out everything they do. The Muppets showing up on Disney Channel shows, for example.

Look, I actually love cross-franchise cameos. But only when they’re separate companies doing it. Not the same company saying, “Hey, look what we also make buy our other stuff too!”

And no, that doesn’t mean I want to see Miss Piggy as a Jedi.

“The Force is strong with you…”

“CRAM IT, BUSTER; YOU’RE NOT GETTING MY FROG!”

…Tangled…

FAR, FAR better than Frozen.

Its all about building the Disney name- not the Pixar one.

Which is why Pixar needs to buy its freedom.

Lets not forget that under Disney rule, Pixar has made Ratatouille, Wall-E, and Up (although they made Brave, which was solid- but not "Pixar quality")

Yes, but they were given free reign for that. I was disappointed with Brave only because the plot was too smooth. There wasn’t a resounding conflict that led to a change in characters’ beliefs. All the elements of plot were there except for that, and it was really jarring NOT to see.

But their next 2 films in 2015 are both originals- and Bob Peterson (Up) and Pete Docter (Up & Monsters Inc) are the two directors for those 2.

Have you seen their shorts La Luna or The Blue Umbrella? La Luna was warm and cute and beautiful, but The Blue Umbrella LOOKED REAL. My stars, I was absolutely blown away by that. It was 100% CGI. And then Toy Story of Terror apparently uses the same lighting engine, because the lighting in that is PHENOMENAL. Absolutely realistic. Can’t wait to see how their future movies look.

• Reply 14 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

GotG doesn’t seem like it succeeded to me, but Jar Jar has devastated my view of animal sidekicks.

GotG is greatness- its like 95% or so on Rotten Tomatoes.  I thought it would be "meh" but it is incredibly surprising.  Especially since i knew nothing about that comic.  Kind of like Hellboy 2 surprised me.

And no, that doesn’t mean I want to see Miss Piggy as a Jedi.

What hasn't crossed over with Star Wars already?  

And Muppets Star Wars happened long before Disney considered buying Lucasfilms.

FAR, FAR better than Frozen.

I thought Tangled was better too- I wouldn't say FAR FAR- but definitely better.  Although commercially, and with kids- it's not even a contest.

Which is why Pixar needs to buy its freedom.

By Pixar- you mean who?  Lasseter?  Catmul? Brad Bird?  Who?  They're the orchestrators of a Disney Resurgence- basically what they dreamed about doing as kids- why would they want to leave?  They're literally living their dream and succeeding at it.

Have you seen their shorts La Luna or The Blue Umbrella? La Luna was warm and cute and beautiful, but The Blue Umbrella LOOKED REAL. My stars, I was absolutely blown away by that. It was 100% CGI. And then Toy Story of Terror apparently uses the same lighting engine, because the lighting in that is PHENOMENAL. Absolutely realistic. Can’t wait to see how their future movies look.

I have- they're great!  Just watched Toy Story of Terror this morning- it was great lighting- didn't realize it was a different engine.  Those next 2 movies I have high hopes for.  Actually- I think they should have released one under the Disney name- whichever one would market better.

I was lucky enough to be born in 1983 and grow up with great Disney films.  Those who were born 10 years earlier or 10 years later had some crap they had to wade through.  It's so awesome to see them back on top of their game for my kids (oldest turns 5 in Sept)- and we can all thank the minds at Pixar for that.  And for the crew at pixar- the only thing better than making the best animated movies out there- would be to make the best animated movies out there for Disney.  It was a match made in heaven- for both companies.

• Reply 15 of 41
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

And Muppets Star Wars happened long before Disney considered buying Lucasfilms.

Oh yes, and that was wonderful. PIIIIIIIIGS IIIIIIIN SPAAAAAAAACE. And Gonzo’s Dearth Nadir is always great.

Although commercially, and with kids- it's not even a contest.

Ehh…. there’s some… well, let’s not get too far off here.

it was great lighting- didnt realize it was a different engine.

Oh, I don’t know if it is; they may have just updated Renderman. I just notice that it’s incredibly accurate now.

…released one under the Disney name…

Speaking of which, I’m glad that Pixar declined making Planes under their name.

• Reply 16 of 41
    Quote:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2488496/

You can see the photo there of Vader taking a selfie. They're just making a joke of the whole thing. Casting the same actors from nearly 40 years ago is going to be a challenge too:

When 57 years old you reach, look as good, you will not, hm?

To be more fair with the pictures she lost 35 lbs for the role:

Left is now, Right is before.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/star-wars-star-carrie-fisher-shows-off-35/story?id=23739240

They aren't going to "ruin the franchise" any more than George did.  If anything they might make it great again.

• Reply 17 of 41
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Aha! Lovely. That’s exactly what I hoped.

They aren't going to "ruin the franchise" any more than George did.  If anything they might make it great again.

I forgot to mention before: Lucas having no role in this whatsoever outside ‘creative consultant’ is a really good sign. That’s where he excelled.

• Reply 18 of 41

I like Star Wars, the early Star Wars films, not the newer ones, and I downloaded this game just to check it out quickly, and it's not bad at all. 

It's like CoC with a Star Wars Theme. I think that this game will do pretty good.

• Reply 19 of 41
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    nht wrote: »

They might but J.J. Abrams is one to watch. He apparently submitted a script for Superman Returns that had a story where Krypton survived:

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/movies/movies.php?topic=jjabrams-review
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348150/trivia

"When offered the director's chair, Bryan Singer rejected J.J. Abrams script as too far a departure from the source material. Abrams story re-imagined Superman as a Kryptonian prince sent to earth as a baby to avoid an impending civil war between king Jor-El and his brother Kata-Zor. Raised as Midwestern teen Clark Kent, and in love with his high school sweetheart Lois, Superman becomes humanity's defender when Kata-Zor invades Earth, aided by CIA Agent Lex Luthor, who is actually a Kryptonian in disguise. The film ended with Superman returning to Krypton to rule over his people after the death of Jor-El. Singer disagreed with these changes to one of America's most well-known characters, and decided instead to pursue a storyline to act as both a sequel and a re-make which would honor the character's history, as well as the popular films by Richard Donner."

The people who rejected the script are the ones that cast this guy as Superman:

Just looks like a random guy in his underpants. They even got the hair the wrong way round - one of his disguises is he combs his hair from left to right as superman and right to left as Clark Kent. The 's' is also way too small. It's not just down to the costume either (although it was badly made), the person has to look the part:

Imagine if they had a combination of that bad casting choice and a script where Krypton doesn't blow up. You can't mess with the source material like that.

(skip down to the marker below if you don't want to read the following grievances about Superman) Ironically Singer said he cast Brandon because he thought he was more like Reeve but that's not the case:

[VIDEO]

They even superimposed Reeve's face in the newer movie:

[VIDEO]

The newer one wasn't perfect as Superman doesn't have Reeve's personality. He's supposed to be a nice, funny guy. The new character comes across as indifferent and there was no emotional connection. Superman's biggest weakness isn't really Kryptonite, it's Lois:

[VIDEO]

It works best if Superman is emotionally vulnerable but physically strong and Lois is the opposite:

[VIDEO]

The new one has Lois physically and emotionally vulnerable and so mostly replaceable. The next one will be a further departure from the original movies too:

http://www.knowitalljoe.com/batman-v-superman-dawn-justice-teaser-trailer-video-plus-screenshots/
    There's a parody here:

(*skip to here) When it comes to the new Star Wars, the same applies. They need to maintain what made the originals great such as the characters. Like Hans Solo's feelings towards Leia:

[VIDEO]

But they can't. Hans and Leia are old. It's also set long after Vader dies. Vader makes Star Wars. The whole story is based around the fight between good and evil. Between Anakin and Luke, father and son. That's why the earlier ones weren't so good, it was only episode 3 that they start to build this up. Presumably in ep 7 Luke is going to have met someone he's attracted to besides his sister and they've had kids to continue the Skywalker family but who will the kids be up against?

When JJ Abrams did Start Trek, he was able to stick to the same setup mostly with the characters, just younger. I still don't think it works there though because the actors have different personalities.

They even have Andy Serkis in the new Star Wars. He said he's not playing Yoda and I very much doubt they'll bring Jar Jar back. Maybe there'll be a planet of apes that has turned to the dark side and Skywalker's kids/grandkids have to sort them out with their new lightsabres that can send text messages.

There comes a point in franchises where it doesn't make sense to make more. There shouldn't be a Back to the Future 4 for example. The reason these are being made has to be purely financial. Disney paid $4b to Lucas for the franchise, half cash, half stock. They need to find ways to recoup that and that's going to take a lot of sequels. It seems there's 12 parts in total:

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/star-wars-7-8-and-9-are-most-exciting-says-george-lucas-biographer-exclusive-63006/

“It was originally a 12-part saga,” Pollock told TheWrap. “The three most exciting stories were 7, 8 and 9. They had propulsive action, really interesting new worlds, new characters. I remember thinking, ‘I want to see these 3 movies.’”

The next in the series, he said, involve Luke Skywalker in his 30s and 40s, but Lucas was unlikely to turn to Mark Hamill, who played Luke in the original but whose performance left the director dissatisfied."

I get the feeling the new episodes will turn out like the new Star Trek movies or Indiana Jones - they are close to parodies of the originals but they are lacking what made the originals iconic.
  • Reply 20 of 41

Vader makes Star Wars.

This is one of the very, VERY few things that Lucas says during the making of the prequels that isn’t completely bat-crap insane.

“This is Anakin Skywalker’s story. We see him as a kid, we see him grow up, be tempted, fall, and see his son redeem him. That was always the idea for the story; there isn’t anything else after it.”

Incidentally, he was saying this in response to the idea of a sequel trilogy, since, as you mentioned, the initial initial initial very rough outline behind Star Wars was four trilogies.