Apple releases OS X Yosemite Public Beta 2, new iTunes 12 beta for testing

Posted:
in Mac Software edited September 2014
Apple on Thursday provided members of its public beta program the second test build of OS X Yosemite, while a new build of iTunes 12 for Yosemite is also available.

OS X Yosemite Beta 2 is now available to download from the Mac App Store for members of the OS X Beta Program. The public release comes a few days after OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 6 was issued to registered members of Apple's development community.

The first public beta of Yosemite arrived in late July, marking the first time members of the general public could officially test Apples next-generation Mac operating system. OS X Yosemite is scheduled to arrive this fall, and brings new connectivity options between Macs and mobile devices running the upcoming iOS 8 platform.

The release notes of OS X Yosemite Beta 2 do not offer any indications of what changes may be included. The listing on the Mac App Store simply states that the update "is recommended for all users."

iTunes 12, meanwhile, is identified as build 97, comes with a number of changes from the currently available media suite, most notably a streamlined design that Apple says makes browsing content libraries "easier and more enjoyable." iTunes 12 also features support for the "Family Sharing" function, allowing iTunes, iBooks and App Store purchases to be shared with up to six people in your family without sharing accounts.

Apple has also improved playlists in iTunes 12, allowing suers to view their full library and playlists side by side. And a redesigned "Get Info" window features a clean look that provides users with the most useful information about their media.

The first beta of iTunes 12 arrived in July, echoing the flatter and more translucent cues of Apple's redesign of OS X with Yosemite.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Well, that addresses all the concern trolling from yesterday.
  • Reply 2 of 62

I don’t want to see this. I don’t want to see my music doubled. Why would anyone, anywhere, want to see this?

Automatic downloads now applies to movies and TV shows, which is nice.

STILL can’t resize my artwork. When was it they removed that ability for no reason whatsoever? Was it iTunes 9?

• Reply 3 of 62
    oneof52oneof52 Posts: 113member

I wish we could get back full view of album art and movie posters.

• Reply 4 of 62
    The new get info window maybe helpful for people that don't really use it but those that used it a lot, it has become unusable. So who will this actually benefit?!?
  • Reply 5 of 62
    Originally Posted by pichael View Post

The new get info window maybe helpful for people that don't really use it but those that used it a lot, it has become unusable.

It’s just reorganized. I don’t think they’ve removed anything.

• Reply 6 of 62
    << I don't want to see this. I don't want to see my music doubled.>>

What phenomenon are you referring to with this comment?
  • Reply 7 of 62
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by scottyo View Post

What phenomenon are you referring to with this comment?

In Album view, there’s a new “Recently Added” category where, surprisingly enough, recently added music falls. 

Except I don’t give a flying frick about this, don’t want to see it at all, and there’s no option to remove it. My music is my music; when it was that I added it I couldn’t care less.

• Reply 8 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In Album view, there’s a new “Recently Added” category where, surprisingly enough, recently added music falls. 

Except I don’t give a flying frick about this, don’t want to see it at all, and there’s no option to remove it. My music is my music; when it was that I added it I couldn’t care less.

Fucking hell we have a first world problem here.

• Reply 9 of 62
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

When you want to post something meaningful to the discussion, using your computer powered by electricity and connected to the Internet, feel free. How is this post anything but worthless? I’d call you blindingly ignorant, but you know better, so it’s a different word that starts with I which describes you…

• Reply 10 of 62
    Quote:

Apple has also improved playlists in iTunes 12, allowing suers to view their full library and playlists side by side.

Oh noooo... the MPAA will come after us :(

• Reply 11 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I'd say every complaint on this site is a first world problem.
  • Reply 12 of 62
    I said I believed that there would be another public beta that it may come in a couple days after they are sure the 6th developer beta has no major pitfalls. I guess that means I [I]proved it[/I] days ago simply because it happen to come true.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    Menu fonts still look not so nice on my non retina MBP. I was hoping that got fixed as I read somewhere it was for the DP. And some new display glitches. Otherwise no issues in the first five minutes ;)
  • Reply 14 of 62
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Funny how that is. People here having a cow over some software feature being present or not, obsessing, getting all worked up while some poor bastard in Gaza is wondering where his next meal is coming from.

• Reply 15 of 62
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Funny how that is. People here having a cow over some software feature being present or not, obsessing, getting all worked up while some poor bastard in Gaza is wondering where his next meal is coming from.

Or even the zoo animals in Gaza getting hit and/or not being fed food or water. It's all fun and games until someone loses and aye-aye.*

*Yes, [@]GTR[/@], I've been holding onto that one.
  • Reply 16 of 62

In DP6, I keep seeing graphical glitches that lead me to believe Dark Mode IS coming system-wide to native applications’ UI. And that makes me really happy.

• Reply 17 of 62
    In DP6, I keep seeing graphical glitches that lead me to believe Dark Mode IS coming system-wide to native applications’ UI. And that makes me really happy.

That would be nice but it seems a little late in the game to start implementing that now, especially after they changed the wording to specifically mention the Menu Bar and Dock. My guess is that it's not going to happen with Yosemite.
  • Reply 18 of 62
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

My guess is that it's not going to happen with Yosemite.

Insane! Then why are the assets even in there? What’s the point of trying if you’re not going to do it right? That doesn’t sound like Apple.

• Reply 19 of 62
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    solipsismx wrote: »

We're number one! We're number one!
  • Reply 20 of 62
    petiegpetieg Posts: 24member

Oh that's right, they didn't create the new iTunes for you!  Recently Added is no big deal for you but I bet it is quite useful for other people.  What is the big deal?