Apple imposes restrictions on HealthKit data sharing with ad platforms, others

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
A set of rules discovered in the latest iOS 8 beta show Apple is already taking steps to ensure sensitive user health data harvested by the upcoming HealthKit API remains private, especially as it applies to firms wanting to harness the information for targeted ad campaigns.

Ahead of Apple's expected iOS 8 launch in September, the company has restricted developers from selling or otherwise distributing sensitive data collected by the HealthKit application programming interface, which is set to debut as part of the new mobile operating system. The terms, buried in the latest iOS 8 beta's licensing agreement, were highlighted by the Financial Times on Thursday.

According to text pulled from the license, developers may "not sell an end-user's health information collected through the HealthKit API to advertising platforms, data brokers or information resellers," and are barred from using gathered data "for any purpose other than providing health and/or fitness services."

In addition to the imposed data sharing restrictions, apps using the HealthKit API must provide privacy policies to end users.

Apple's HealthKit is a framework made available to third-party hardware and software makers that aggregates and stores harvested health data. Users have access to the metrics via iOS 8's built-in Health app, which serves as a centralized hub for viewing and sharing tracked information associated with user activity, sleep patterns and more.

Along with third-party tools, the Health app is capable of gathering data from Apple hardware like the M7 motion coprocessor found in the latest iPhone 5s. Further, the company is expected to announce a wrist-worn "iWatch" device thought to carry a host of sensors for health related monitoring.

For advertisers, the repository would be a gold mine, providing invaluable insight into how to better target ads to consumers.

Apple, however, is already looking ahead to skirt possible privacy issues. Senior executives have met with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to discuss regulatory issues and the company is reportedly in talks with major medical records systems firms, insurers and healthcare providers eager to integrate with HealthKit.

Apple is expected to launch HealthKit as part of iOS 8 on Sept. 9, when the company will be holding a special event widely thought to feature the next-generation iPhone lineup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Why is the symbol for caffeine a carrot? Carrots inhibit the effect of caffeine in the body…

• Reply 2 of 32
    Why is the symbol for caffeine a carrot? Carrots inhibit the effect of caffeine in the body…

Why it would be anything other than a cup of coffee is beyond me.
  • Reply 3 of 32

Carrot is used as a general symbol for a nutrient. Caffeine is a nutrient found in coffee, chocolate, teas and other foods.

Caffeine is an anti-calming agent that works by blocking the inhibitory signal Adenosine so that adrenaline can be a stronger stimulant signal. Carrots by providing Vitamin A which magnifies thyroid hormone may increase caffeine's effectiveness by increasing adrenaline receptors.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why is the symbol for steps a flame? Flames inhibit the ability for the foot to step (unless you're a fire walker).

• Reply 5 of 32
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Why is the symbol for steps a flame? Flames inhibit the ability for the foot to step (unless you're a fire walker).

Calories burned, holy crap you people complain about the silliest crap.

• Reply 6 of 32
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Steve Jobs would not allow this!

• Reply 7 of 32
    I'm not certain, but this situation could be covered by privacy regulations under HIPAA. Any app maker would face some serious fines and enforcement if they are not careful with user's data points.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Privacy will be a major issue with HealthKit. Any breach will be blown out of all proportion and lead to mistrust. A gold mine for advertisers perhaps, but one their greedy little fingers must be kept well off.

Ditto HomeKit, come to think of it.

• Reply 10 of 32
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    Good for you Apple.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gilly33 View Post

Good for you Apple.

MicrosoftSamsung even Google, if you can believe that have the same policy, it's standard practice, not to mention obvious as no one in their right mind would use the service otherwise.

• Reply 12 of 32

These 3 morons love the idea .... more advertisers for google!!

Intel(R) JPEG Library, version 1,5,4,36

• Reply 13 of 32
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BradPro View Post

I'm not certain, but this situation could be covered by privacy regulations under HIPAA. Any app maker would face some serious fines and enforcement if they are not careful with user's data points.

I was already thinking the same thing.  This HealthKit must be HIPPA compliant, or even Apple could face serious fines.

• Reply 14 of 32
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hillstones wrote: »
    I was already thinking the same thing.  This HealthKit must be HIPPA compliant, or even Apple could face serious fines.

I took CompTIA's test for Healthcare IT. They cover and ask you questions about the various fines for various infractions. Even an accidental leak can be subject to a fine and potential jail time.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

You're using them wrong.

When applied to the foot they may be an inhibitor, when applied to the butt.....

• Reply 16 of 32
    Apple will be the first company to get it "right". If they can integrate across the entire healthcare ecosystem (insurers, healthcare providers, FDA, etc) they can do so so much more than what a startup can with a mere steps counter or sleep monitor
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Carrot is used as a general symbol for a nutrient. Caffeine is a nutrient found in coffee, chocolate, teas and other foods.

Caffeine is an anti-calming agent that works by blocking the inhibitory signal Adenosine so that adrenaline can be a stronger stimulant signal. Carrots by providing Vitamin A which magnifies thyroid hormone may increase caffeine's effectiveness by increasing adrenaline receptors.

Very interesting info, thanks. Since you were able to explain its drug effects so well, can you possibly explain why caffeine has a calming, focusing effect on those with ADHD? Seems to be the opposite of your explanation and I see, first hand, how caffeine (1-2 cups of strong coffee) can snap my son back from being scattered and fidgety.

• Reply 18 of 32
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gilly33 View Post

Good for you Apple.

MicrosoftSamsung even Google, if you can believe that have the same policy, it's standard practice, not to mention obvious as no one in their right mind would use the service otherwise.

Who in their right mind would trust Google with that information?

• Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Who in their right mind would trust Google with that information?

I guess anybody who would trust any computer company with their health information.

• Reply 20 of 32
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    bradpro wrote: »

Protected Health Information is definitely governed by HIPAA. That said, Apple does tend to protect privacy better than, say, Google.