Shares of Apple end week at all-time high with 'iPhone 6' & 'iWatch' hype at fever pitch

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited September 2014
Apple stock reached an all-time high in trading on Friday, and also finished the day at its highest-ever closing price, as investors and customers alike are clamoring to see what the secretive company has up its sleeve for a Sept. 9 media event.

The New York Stock Exchange, credit Carlos Delgado via Wikipedia.

Shares of AAPL stock closed the day on Friday at $102.50, which is a new record. Intraday trading also reached $102.90.

The company's stock trended upward since Wednesday as anticipation builds for the its event now less than a week and a half away. Though the date had already leaked, Apple made it official on Thursday, sending out invitations to members of the press for a Sept. 9 event in Cupertino, Calif.

The company is widely expected to use the event to formally unveil its next-generation "iPhone 6," as well as an all-new wearable "iWatch." Wall Street is particularly excited about the next iPhone, as Apple's hot selling handsets account for the lion's share of the company's profits.

Less certain is how a so-called "iWatch" might affect the company's bottom line, but investors may have to wait to find out: Though Apple's wearable device is expected to be revealed Sept. 9, the latest rumors suggest the device may not be ready to launch until early 2015.

Apple's current trading price has the company's market capitalization valued at $613.76 billion, which remains well behind its highest-ever market capitalization of over $665 billion. Apple's gains have also seen it nearly double its value from a 52-week low of $63.89, which occurred in September of 2013.

The company crossed the $100 threshold on Aug. 19, reaching levels the company had not seen since its previous all-time high in 2012, ahead of the iPhone 5 launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Classic pump and dump. Remember folks, buy low, sell high.
    In other words, wait till after Sept.9 to buy, when traditionally Apple stock drops significantly.
  • Reply 2 of 58

Where are all the Android trolls from last year predicting Apple is sliding into the toilet?

• Reply 3 of 58
    Amazingly, Apple's Fwd PE is still less than 15x. That of the market as a whole is over 17x....

If it traded at just the market's multiple, AAPL should be at $~120. Go figure.
  • Reply 4 of 58
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

I know I should sell at least some of my APPL on Monday.  

The internet trolls/Business Insider/CNBC/etc will complain about WHATEVER Apple releases, and APPL will go down after all this wild optimism.

But eventually calmer minds will realize that Apple makes stuff that people love.  And APPL will go back up.

So I'm long.  I just can't bring myself to sell quality.  HOLDing APPL lol.

• Reply 5 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Where are all the Android trolls from last year predicting Apple is sliding into the toilet?

Same place as all the Apple trolls that stated the reason Apple was sliding into the toilet was because of market manipulation by Wall Street.

• Reply 6 of 58
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    you guys sure like using "frenzy" and "fever pitch". got anything to back up your claims? simply seeing apple mentioned in the news - as it is every day over and over - does not a frenzy make. and seeing apple mentioned in the news x% more than it usually is is not "fever pitch". but, hey, we understand ... you gotta get those page views and ad impressions. whatever the cost. i suspect the only ones in a fever-pitched frenzy are you guys trying not to misspell your arcticles. and that ain't working.
  • Reply 7 of 58
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    512ke wrote: »
    I know I should sell at least some of my APPL on Monday.  

The internet trolls/Business Insider/CNBC/etc will complain about WHATEVER Apple releases, and APPL will go down after all this wild optimism.

But eventually calmer minds will realize that Apple makes stuff that people love.  And APPL will go back up.

So I'm long.  I just can't bring myself to sell quality.  HOLDing APPL lol.

Yup. But sell Monday, and buy back cheap on Wednesday.

I've been long since 2004, but still haven't had the balls though.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    Apples market cap is affected by their own buyout program? Right? Had they not bought back their own shares they'd be higher?
  • Reply 9 of 58
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

Apples market cap is affected by their own buyout program? Right? Had they not bought back their own shares they'd be higher?

There's no telling since all we really know is where the price is today, but by reducing the number of shares it theoretically drives the price of shares up. Supply and demand.

• Reply 10 of 58
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    And the stock will drop on 9.9 as Apple doesn't announce unicorns and fairies and a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
  • Reply 11 of 58
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

Yup. But sell Monday, and buy back cheap on Wednesday.

I've been long since 2004, but still haven't had the balls though.

Jason, I also don't have the stones to sell on Monday.

I'll just let it ride....

• Reply 12 of 58

There's no telling since all we really know is where the price is today, but by reducing the number of shares it theoretically drives the price of shares up. Supply and demand.

No, it does not. If your argument were true, the optimal strategy for all companies would be to buy out all the shares they can all the time with all the cash they have.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    No, it does not. If your argument were true, the optimal strategy for all companies would be to buy out all the shares they can all the time with all the cash they have.
    Wrong. Apple is in an unusual position. It's stock is extremely undervalued and it has a ton of cash, with more being generated by the minute. Buying back its own stock is tantamount to investing in itself. The result is to decrease the share count, which increases the potential dividend return of the remaining shares.

Very, very few companies are ever in a position to pull this off.

Edit: There is also the tax issue. When Apple cuts a dividend check, taxes become applicable on the dividend. When it buys back its own shares, there is no tax.
  • Reply 14 of 58
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    If you've been paying attention the last few years, apple stock has not taken a precipitous dive after a major announcement. I don't expect it to this year, either.

I'm up 40% on my last purchase. It's freakin' awesome!
  • Reply 15 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

If you've been paying attention the last few years, apple stock has not taken a precipitous dive after a major announcement. I don't expect it to this year, either.

I'm up 40% on my last purchase. It's freakin' awesome!

It is pretty awesome, isn't it? My last purchase is up 730+% so far. 2008 was a very good year to go all in.

• Reply 16 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Wrong. Apple is in an unusual position. It's stock is extremely undervalued and it has a ton of cash, with more being generated by the minute. Buying back its own stock is tantamount to investing in itself. The result is to decrease the share count, which increases the potential dividend return of the remaining shares.

Very, very few companies are ever in a position to pull this off.

Edit: There is also the tax issue. When Apple cuts a dividend check, taxes become applicable on the dividend. When it buys back its own shares, there is no tax.

Nice to see you post here, SJ. I usually see your posts on the PED boards over at Forbes.

• Reply 17 of 58
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    So much for the theory of 'big numbers' that some were claiming would prevent Apple getting past 700 a while back. I guess a stock split solved their problem? :no:
  • Reply 18 of 58
    rogifan wrote: »
    And the stock will drop on 9.9 as Apple doesn't announce unicorns and fairies and a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Of course.
  • Reply 19 of 58
    It is pretty awesome, isn't it? My last purchase is up 730+% so far. 2008 was a very good year to go all in.

I guess my initial purchase now at a 2233.33% gain isn't too shabby either :)
  • Reply 20 of 58
    Nice to see you post here, SJ. I usually see your posts on the PED boards over at Forbes.
    Thanks, SS. Been posting here since '10, though rarely (500 posts or so total).