Microsoft, HTC use Windows Phone's Cortana to poke fun at Apple's iPhone in new ad

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
A new television spot from Microsoft's Windows Phone division again puts Siri on the iPhone 5s up against Cortana on an HTC One M8, though the video slants more toward a hardware comparison than Microsoft's previous Siri-focued efforts.

The iPhone is first shown turning from side-to-side and admiring itself in a mirror, with Siri reciting the famous "I Feel Pretty" song from West Side Story. In a stilted voice, Siri then greets Cortana and -- following Cortana's introduction of the HTC handset -- says that she is "more than just a pretty face."

Interestingly, Microsoft does not seem to have used Cortana's actual speech generation for the narration, as they have in previous spots. Instead, a human voiceover artist appears to have been used to exaggerate the comparison.

The ad goes on to tout Cortana's ability to proactively alert users to heavy traffic in advance of an appointment before showing off the One M8's dual-speaker configuration.

"Oh, I only have one. And I'm sitting on it," Siri replies.

Apple's competition has increasingly employed direct head-to-head comparisons in recent years in an attempt to break the company's stranglehold on the smartphone and tablet markets. South Korean firm Samsung is the most notorious offender, recently releasing a video that purportedly asked everyday New Yorkers whether they would prefer an iPad or a Samsung Galaxy Tab S -- the Galaxy, predictably, won out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Offender?
  • Reply 2 of 53
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Someone tell MS to update Siri voice in their ads!
  • Reply 3 of 53
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Time for a new series of Apple versus Microsoft commercials of the "I'm a Mac" variety. I have a feeling the iPhone 6 could be used to crush these pretenders, if only Apple has the will to go on the attack.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Julie Andrews played a Puerto Rican?
    Really? AI?
  • Reply 5 of 53
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Just so we're clear- they use an exaggerated and poor version of Siri's voice, and they use a human voiceover for theirs?

• Reply 6 of 53
    Most people know that the iPhone is superior overall in terms of ease of use, build quality and so on. These ads are fooling very few people. Most advertising is really about re-affirming to the customers who have already bought the product that the purchase they made was a good one. The intent is to get repeat buys. Most companies do this. All those BMW ads on TV are not directed at new buyers really, but at current BMW owners to make them feel good. No, the problem, especially for Microsoft, is it's pitiful market share which has dropped from a massive 4% down a point. HTC is in a similar predicament. Don't get me wrong the HTC phone is a great phone, but the Android competition is killing HTC. It's not Apple they should be comparing themselves with at all.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    It won't save Windows Phone.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Julie Andrews played a Puerto Rican?

Really? AI?

Practically twins... lol

• Reply 9 of 53
    It's sad that they need to include the iPhone in any advertisements on the other hand, it is cool that Apple never even acknowledges 'competitors' in their iPhone ad. I know people like to think these are the same as the Mac-vc-PC ads, but they are not. PC is not a company or a 'brand' in the way that Apple is.

Phones are now very over-featured, like cars are. Too many bells and whistles that users never take advantage of, and are often harder to use than they appear. These 'assistants' are getting smarter, but are people really using them in the wild, or where the rubber meets the road. I don't need Siri to remind me to tell my wife 'Happy Anniversary', as long as I know it is my anniversary. Maybe in the future we will, because I don't know anyone's telephone number any more.
  • Reply 10 of 53

I do hope that Apple improves Siri & integrates the Cue purchase soon.  To have Siri alert me of traffic, driving times, plus using my email to personalize alerts/improve my daily life - would love this.  Google does a good job of this (and I assume Cortana) but I prefer it in a much, much less creepy way (no ads, please).

• Reply 11 of 53

I don't think Apple needs to attack anyone. What do they have to win? They are already comfortably on the throne. 

• Reply 12 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

If you think about it, prior to the smartphone, which is really a computer. MS had 95% of the OS market. Now it is down to under 50% in 5 years. That is the reality for Microsoft and is the reason it is moving in the direction of cloud and business services just like IBM before it.

• Reply 13 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Just so we're clear- they use an exaggerated and poor version of Siri's voice, and they use a human voiceover for theirs?

Typical Microsoft tactic, fake their own functionality. They did it with most of their junk before.  The folks at Redmond have not changed. This is good information and tells me the company is not worth investing in. But I knew this already great to have it re-confirmed. Yes MS share price has doubled based on cloud and services , buts its consumer business is finished. They tell us all their plans and don't deliver, fix it in the next release. Same old MS M.O.

• Reply 14 of 53
    Agreed, not even Super Steve Jobs
  • Reply 15 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I do hope that Apple improves Siri & integrates the Cue purchase soon.  To have Siri alert me of traffic, driving times, plus using my email to personalize alerts/improve my daily life - would love this.  Google does a good job of this (and I assume Cortana) but I prefer it in a much, much less creepy way (no ads, please).

What is the 'Cue'? Doesn't Siri already alert you to traffic on daily travel, if you go to the same place a lot? Its on the screen when you pull down and check for weather. It knows the traffic and tells you it will take so long to get to where you go everyday (or so). It could be a little more location aware, but it works for me as it is most of the time.

• Reply 16 of 53
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Time for a new series of Apple versus Microsoft commercials of the "I'm a Mac" variety. I have a feeling the iPhone 6 could be used to crush these pretenders, if only Apple has the will to go on the attack.
    Crush them with what? A lot of what's coming with iOS 8 and the new iPhone(s) already exists on other platforms/phones. I'm sure Apple will heavily advertise continuity and handoff but they can do that without giving anyone else free advertising. Let Microsoft get in the gutter. Keep Apple out of it.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WisdomSeed View Post

What is the 'Cue'? Doesn't Siri already alert you to traffic on daily travel, if you go to the same place a lot? Its on the screen when you pull down and check for weather. It knows the traffic and tells you it will take so long to get to where you go everyday (or so). It could be a little more location aware, but it works for me as it is most of the time.

Apple purchased Cue earlier this year.  Cue was an app that worked much like Google Now.  And I'm saying I'd like for Siri to alert me if traffic is heavier than normal and suggest alternate routes, for example.  If you've used Cue or Google Now, you'll may understand what I'm saying.  Both worked to 'push' personalize information to the user, vs  the user needing to 'pull' info from an app/OS.

• Reply 18 of 53
    I disagree that Apple should ignore the competition and rest comfortably on its laurels. Advertising can be a powerful tool. They can use humor to cement the idea in people's heads that iPhone is not only the coolest, but also the best. And that pretenders are just that. Stay hungry, Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    Think about when you see an ad comparing honda to a BMW, saying it has the many more horse power or whatever.. Are you really fooled? Oh, now I won't buy a BMW for the rest of my life! No, common sense tells you they'll pick apart a few small benefits of their car, but pass over the ones that make the most difference in cost. People will know this, as long as Apple continues showing their ads for the high end stuff they're doing.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    paul94544 wrote: »
    Most people know that the iPhone is superior overall in terms of ease of use, build quality and so on. These ads are fooling very few people. Most advertising is really about re-affirming to the customers who have already bought the product that the purchase they made was a good one. The intent is to get repeat buys. Most companies do this. All those BMW ads on TV are not directed at new buyers really, but at current BMW owners to make them feel good. No, the problem, especially for Microsoft, is it's pitiful market share which has dropped from a massive 4% down a point. HTC is in a similar predicament. Don't get me wrong the HTC phone is a great phone, but the Android competition is killing HTC. It's not Apple they should be comparing themselves with at all.

Well said. Hey they got to make commercials. I have one friend whose about to get rid of his Nokia for the upcoming Galaxy Note phone. Recommended by carrier minion no less. I told him to hang on and see if he likes the iPhone 6. How much bigger is Samsung going to make these 'phablets?' I think his new one is suppose to be 6". So MS ain't doing to well if there are a whole lot of folk out there dumping their phones. They could have been No.2, perhaps even No.1 but blew it. Time will tell if they last. They have a steep climb to get to the top.