Photos and video purportedly detail working 'iPhone 6,' hint at Passbook-based mobile payments

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
Two separate "leaks" out of China on Saturday supposedly show operational versions of Apple's next-generation iPhone, including images of what appears to be credit card or mobile payments support for Passbook.

A set of photos posted to Chinese website cnBeta.com, sourced from Weibo user "zzray, purportedly offers one of the first looks at a fully functional next-generation 4.7-inch iPhone.

Along with a side-by-side comparison with Apple's current iPhone 5s, the photo set includes shots of what looks to be an iOS 8 home screen scaled to 4.7-inches, App Store app and general phone information. Notably, the picture reveals a tweaked Passbook app icon that now includes what appears to be a graphical representation of a credit card.

Far from being conclusive evidence, the modified icon seems to suggest Apple's rumored mobile payments solution will be built in to the existing iOS infrastructure and may not be offered as a standalone "iWallet" app.

Apple is widely rumored to be launching a mobile payments solution alongside the iPhone 6 that could leverage NFC and other wireless technologies for touch-less operation. The rollout is anticipated to include launch partners CVS and Walgreens, as well as card-issuing banks and credit card companies American Express, Mastercard and Visa.

Although convincing, the photos contain inconsistencies suggesting the iPhone, or its operating system, is not a legitimate Apple product.

For example, the shot of the general settings page displays a "No SIM" icon in the top left corner, but shows "China Unicom 17.0" in the carrier information section, as highlighted above. Further, the user's thumb conveniently hides the handset's model and serial numbers, both key pieces of information needed to identify new hardware.

In addition to the photos, a video posted to Chinese video sharing website MiaoPai on Saturday supposedly shows a working iPhone 6 running through various apps and settings, including Apple's new Health app. The first and last clips demonstrate Touch ID, which seems to be just as quick as the current iPhone 5s model.

While their authenticity cannot be confirmed at this time, it should be noted that both "leaks" include the updated Passbook app icon, an asset not included with previous iOS 8 beta builds furnished to developers. As seen in the photo set, the phone is supposedly running build 12A365, a version heretofore unseen in the wild.

Apple is expected to announce this year's iPhone lineup at a special event on Sept. 9. Also rumored to be unveiled is an "iWatch" wearable device, though that product is anticipated to see shipment in 2015.

AppleInsider will provide live on-the-scene coverage of Tuesday's event and readers can get up to the minute updates through the official AppleInsider app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 189

OH EM GEE SAME DESIGN NO INNOVATION APPLE DOOMED

I can’t stand that they moved the power button. Shame he won’t be thrown in jail for this.

• Reply 2 of 189
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Looks like the person using the phone doesn’t have an iPhone now and does’t know how to do anything with it.
  • Reply 3 of 189
    So much for 'doubling down on secrecy' Tim
  • Reply 4 of 189
    That phone looks huge in the hand. Man I'm ordering the 4.7" if there's no iPhone 6 4" option but damnit I don't know how I'll like using a larger iPhone. But I'll get over it I'm sure.
  • Reply 5 of 189
    Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

That phone looks huge in the hand.

He’s Chinese, too, remember.

• Reply 6 of 189

This is the latest, better and improved Chinese clone. For one, the home button is not concave like it should. There are several other errors in the interface and the Apple logo is painted on the back.

• Reply 7 of 189
    So much for 'doubling down on secrecy' Tim
    It happens. At least it wasn't an engineer getting beved up and leaving it at the bar this time.
  • Reply 8 of 189

Looks like cnbeta owes payment in full.

• Reply 9 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

This is the latest, better and improved Chinese clone. For one, the home button is not concave like it should. There are several other errors in the interface and the Apple logo is painted on the back.

Unfortunately this is the real thing and it looks like crap, I'm not sure what Jony was thinking with those dividing lines on the back, antennae? Waterproofing?

Apple needs to find a new visionary, Mr. Ive is all tapped out and Marc isn't that much different.

Touch ID on the iPhone 5S is also flat.

• Reply 10 of 189
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For example, the shot of the general settings page displays a "No SIM" icon in the top left corner, but shows "China Unicom 17.0" in the carrier information section, as highlighted above. 

Totally wrong! AppleInsider couldn't be bothered to do a 5 second experiment? I just popped the sim out of my phone right now, and the last carrier remains in the about box.

• Reply 11 of 189
    vl-tone wrote: »

Compare to Russian videos. I think this is fake just looking at the home button.
  • Reply 12 of 189
    The two circular holes at the top of the iPhone 6 are interchanged.
  • Reply 13 of 189
    Unfortunately this is the real thing and it looks like crap, I'm not sure what Jony was thinking with those dividing lines on the back, antennae? Waterproofing?
    Apple needs to find a new visionary, Mr. Ive is all tapped out and Marc isn't that much different.
    Touch ID on the iPhone 5S is also flat.
    I really don't get why people feel so strongly about this. Even supposing that it might be a purely aesthetic choice, should Ive be put out to pasture for it? This design will outsell everything--including previous iPhone designs. If the lines are there to keep the antennae from arcing, how would you solve the design?
  • Reply 14 of 189
    Originally Posted by Mejsric View Post

Compare to Russian videos. I think this is fake just looking at the home button.

But the Russian video was fake.

Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I'm not sure what Jony was thinking with those dividing lines on the back, antennae?

So you haven’t seen the iPhones 4, 4S, 5, and 5S?

Apple needs to find a new visionary, Mr. Ive is all tapped out and Marc isn't that much different

Take your FUD and shove it. The desire is to have a single piece of metal as the back, but that’s currently physically impossible. Consider the iPhone 5S. Two large top and bottom strips of glass because the metal blocks signal. Now look at the 6. More metal, less non-metal. They’re moving closer to the goal instead of further away.

Personally, I don’t see what’s wrong with a single strip of non-metal at the bottom (or top), but I guess I’m biased…

• Reply 15 of 189
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

I really don't get why people feel so strongly about this. Even supposing that it might be a purely aesthetic choice, should Ive be put out to pasture for it? This design will outsell everything--including previous iPhone designs. If the lines are there to keep the antennae from arcing, how would you solve the design?

We've been doing aluminum and titanium for over 12 years already, and they all look the same. Even the frik'n $200 ChromeBook looks almost identical to the Air, every other PC monitor already looks like an iMac. How about a new direction in design, new material usage. Jony blossomed when he was a nobody and SJ put him in the spotlight, I feel he has somewhat became complacent.

Furthermore, the new MacPro does look like a trash can. My wife, who knows nothing about computers, saw the MacPro and started laughing 'it looks like a trash can!!!.' Yeah, in an Apple store!

• Reply 16 of 189
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

How about a new direction in design, new material usage.

And you suggest what?

• Reply 17 of 189
    normmnormm Posts: 653member

Looks like Gruber was right about the display resolution.  The icons seem to be the same size on both 5s and 6 displays, so probably still 326 pixels per inch, exactly as before, making the overall 4.7" display 1334x750.  

• Reply 18 of 189
    The font on the rear case looks wrong.
  • Reply 19 of 189
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    It amazes me how their video quality is so bad. Use the second iPhone to make the video instead of a flip phone camera you idiot!
  • Reply 20 of 189
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It amazes me how their video quality is so bad. Use the second iPhone to make the video instead of a flip phone camera you idiot!

Why not just use the iPhone 6’s camera to get even better quality? ;)