Vague schematics & details hint at mic, speaker, rectangular design for Apple's 'iWatch'

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited September 2014
A set of screenshots posted to social sharing site Reddit on Monday purport to show engineering drawings of parts destined for Apple's upcoming wearable device -- including a speaker assembly, rectangular case, and round PCB --?while the poster claims the device will be waterproof and ship in eight different SKUs.

While little context was given for the images, the chassis is shown with holes for a "crown" that appears similar to the iPhone's sleep/wake switch as well as a speaker cutout. Oddly, the speaker cutout appears to be colocated with the case's strap lugs.

The Reddit poster indicated that the device will also feature a microphone and a "flexible multi-touch screen," though it is unclear how that would mesh with the seemingly-rigid chassis. In addition, the watch will supposedly last "over a day" and ship with Siri support, though it is unknown whether Siri will require wearers to press a button or if it will work with iOS 8's new "Hey Siri" feature.

A circular PCB is shown alongside a matching hole in the bottom of the case. The PCB is said to be a biometric sensor place, and appears to incorporate an inductive loop antenna for charging.

Apple is supposedly planning to offer the device in two sizes, each with four "colors," which could refer to different case materials. The timeline is said to be in flux, but mass production will likely begin in January.

In addition, the iWatch is said to be Apple's "most complex and expensive product to manufacture to date."

The poster also suggested that the wearable will be waterproof to 20 meters, though this is not a standard measurement for watches. It is possible that it instead bears a 20 bar --?or 200 meters --?rating, which would make it suitable for a variety of situations like water sports and scuba diving.

Each drawing is shown with two revisions --?"P2B," presumably a prototype code, and "EVT," meaning "Engineering Verification Test." Markings on the images suggest that they originate from Taiwanese contract manufacturer Quanta Computer, which has been repeatedly rumored to have won the iWatch manufacturing contract.

Apple is widely expected to unveil the iWatch at a media event in Cupertino tomorrow. AppleInsider will be on hand at the event and bring live coverage from the Flint Center.

small gray">

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    rolyroly Posts: 74member
    A square watch makes much more sense than a round one, since the main function will not be telling the time. Even though the Moto 360 looks good, I'm not convinced of the practicalities of having a round smartwatch. I guess we might find out tomorrow.
  • Reply 2 of 65
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    The potential for scuba could be amazing with the health kit and biometric monitoring and some specialized app.

> Is it because I am running a beta safari or is anyone else seeing funky graphics loading on AI the past few days? I see weird, colored vertical lines as images slowly load in.
  • Reply 3 of 65
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Nothing to see here folks...

• Reply 4 of 65
    > Is it because I am running a beta safari or is anyone else seeing funky graphics loading on AI the past few days? I see weird, colored vertical lines as images slowly load in.

Same here.

Posting on AI has become a mess too.
  • Reply 5 of 65
    The potential for scuba could be amazing with the health kit and biometric monitoring and some specialized app.

Someone at AI is completely failing to optimize the images before posting them, which is bad all around.
  • Reply 6 of 65
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Are we really that impatient and just can't wait to see what it looks like tomorrow? The media sounds like a bunch of kids whining to their parents to be able to open their Christmas presents early. Lets just wait folks. Doesn't anyone want to be surprised anymore? To me, this is what kills Apple's keynotes sometimes. Everybody usually already knows exactly whats going to be announced before its even announced. Ruins the entire thing. I try to stay away from Mac rumors/news sites a day or so before the keynote just because of this reason.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    lowepglowepg Posts: 106member
    I wont buy until I see how pretty the BACK is :eyeroll:
  • Reply 8 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Roly View Post

A square watch makes much more sense than a round one, since the main function will not be telling the time. Even though the Moto 360 looks good, I'm not convinced of the practicalities of having a round smartwatch. I guess we might find out tomorrow.

Exactly, one of the key complaints about the 360 is that the UI seems to have been designed for a rectangular screen and text being chopped off at the edges towards the top and bottom parts of the screen.

That's the difference between manufacturing something because people think it looks 'cool', and actually doing the research and manufacturing something that has the potential to change your life.

• Reply 9 of 65
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    How amusing it would be if Apple designed completely around functionality and pushed the usefulness of the device over anything else. The Moto Almost 360 was clearly designed the other way around and suffers as a result. Doesn't matter if something looks good if it's not useful.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member

In addition to the painfully slow load time for the images, I'm seeing 2 hyphens and a question mark --? scattered throughout the article. That doesn't seem right.

• Reply 11 of 65
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    This is ridiculous. How incompetent are we that we cannot optimize images so that a page can load properly?

I'm running the latest Safari on a fast Mac with 110 Mbps download speed and 9 ms PING.

And this page is still loading. What a joke.
  • Reply 12 of 65
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Are we really that impatient and just can't wait to see what it looks like tomorrow? The media sounds like a bunch of kids whining to their parents to be able to open their Christmas presents early. Lets just wait folks. Doesn't anyone want to be surprised anymore? To me, this is what kills Apple's keynotes sometimes. Everybody usually already knows exactly whats going to be announced before its even announced. Ruins the entire thing. I try to stay away from Mac rumors/news sites a day or so before the keynote just because of this reason.

You're visiting an Apple rumour site criticizing others for speculating on rumours? lol

• Reply 13 of 65
    Exactly, one of the key complaints about the 360 is that the UI seems to have been designed for a rectangular screen and text being chopped off at the edges towards the top and bottom parts of the screen.
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">That's the difference between manufacturing something because people think it looks 'cool', and actually doing the research and manufacturing something that has the potential to change your life.</span>

Remember that apple designs hardware and software, so obviously the software would be made for a round watch if they made a round watch.

I'd be disappointed if they released a rectangular watch... It'll look like every other smart watch looks. Nerdy. I don't mind being a nerd but I don't like to walk around looking like the douchebags who wear the google glass. Plus a rectangular watch doesn't scream fashion unless they did something amazing... Seems pointless to invite fashion press to cover something people from a fashionable standpoint won't use.

But yes I guess it would be easier to put an app on a rectangular watch.
  • Reply 14 of 65
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

This is ridiculous. How incompetent are we that we cannot optimize images so that a page can load properly?

I'm running the latest Safari on a fast Mac with 110 Mbps download speed and 9 ms PING.

And this page is still loading. What a joke.

I hear ya...photos on this site take FOREVER to load on this site. I'm on a connection getting a 400mbps download and they still load at least 10-20 seconds after the page loads. 

• Reply 15 of 65

Doom and gloom.

My worst fears are realised. I doubt I would find a rectangular watch appealing. Ho hum. Nonetheless, I reserve judgement until I've seen it.

Best to fear the worse, then things can only get better.

• Reply 16 of 65
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Thanks, but I think I'll make that assessment for myself.

• Reply 17 of 65
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Doom and gloom.

My worst fears are realised. I doubt I would find a rectangular watch appealing. Ho hum. Nonetheless, I reserve judgement until I've seen it.

Best to fear the worse, then things can only get better.

Pretty much every rumor suggested it would be a rectangular display so I'm not surprised. But like you I won't judge until I see a final product. What makes me sad is I think unfortunately something will leak before the event. It will be a low res photo. Might not even be a finished product but something will leak that everyone can go "ew, that's ugly".
  • Reply 18 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

Remember that apple designs hardware and software, so obviously the software would be made for a round watch if they made a round watch.

I'd be disappointed if they released a rectangular watch... It'll look like every other smart watch looks. Nerdy. I don't mind being a nerd but I don't like to walk around looking like the douchebags who wear the google glass. Plus a rectangular watch doesn't scream fashion unless they did something amazing... Seems pointless to invite fashion press to cover something people from a fashionable standpoint won't use.

Agreed, Apple would make the OS optimized for round screens. Remember, the reason watches were round was to enclose the path of the dials, it would make little sense to stick a digital screen in a shape that was designed to accommodate rotating dials.

I believe that no one will be disappointed with the iWatch, Apple has gone to great lengths with hiring some of the world's top watch designers, fashion designers, and they already have the top mobile OS.

• Reply 19 of 65
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

Oh I didn't know you already saw the final iWatch?

Honestly everyone should wait 24 hours before freaking out (one way or the other).

• Reply 20 of 65
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I believe that no one will be disappointed with the iWatch

Kidding me right? Everyone will be disappointed, the internet flooded with hate filled rants and doom n gloom. This is how it goes when Apple announce anything, let alone a brand new product.

No matter what Apple announce, no matter how great, or how bad, internet forums are going to be an ugly place to be around this week.