More videos claim to show functioning 4.7" 'iPhone 6,' massive 2915 mAh battery for 5.5" model

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
With just over a day to go before Apple's highly anticipated media event, a slew of new videos from China claim to again show off functioning 4.7-inch "iPhone 6" units, complete with a new credit card toting Passbook icon. And yet another video offers a peek at a 2,915 mAh battery expected to power the jumbo-sized 5.5-inch iPhone.

A series of short videos purporting to show the 4.7-inch "iPhone 6" from China were published to Miaopai, appearing to show a fully functioning unit with apps installed and connected to Wi-Fi. The apparently operational, leaked unit lacks a SIM card but is shown running regular iOS applications downloaded from the App Store.

Like the other videos from the same user that leaked over the weekend, the latest leak again suggests that applications will continue to be displayed on the home screen in rows of four across. The icons are shown spaced out, appearing to be an iOS 8 home screen scaled to 4.7 inches.

A quick scroll through the Settings application shows off options for HomeKit and Health in the privacy section. But the poster noted they could not find any mention of near-field communications --?a function widely expected to be integrated into the next-generation handset for mobile payments.

On the home screen can also be seen what is alleged to be a new Passbook icon appearing to show a graphical representation of a credit card. The current Passbook icon features icons representing plane tickets, movie tickets, and store cards.

The leaker, who has the English word "Silent" as part of their username, also shows off what appears to be functioning Touch ID fingerprint sensing capabilities with the unit.

The unit is also consistent with earlier leaks claiming to reveal the design of Apple's next-generation iPhone. In the videos, the unit is showed with a slightly tapered glass front panel, rounding off into the edges of the device.

Though the video appears to show Apple's iOS 8 running as expected, there are some inconsistencies that raise the authenticity into question. For example, while no SIM card is installed, in previous images from the user, the carrier information section listed China Unicom. In addition, the user's thumb conveniently hid the handset's model and serial numbers, which are key to identifying new hardware.

In another lengthy video from China shown over the weekend, yet another purported "iPhone 6" unit is shown off in detail. In this video, the user shows off the device running native iOS 8 applications, including snapping pictures and comparing them side-by-side with an iPhone 5s.

The video also shows functioning Touch ID, and the new Passbook icon appearing to feature a credit card image.

On the hardware side, the unit is shown having the same look as leaked "iPhone 6" parts, including the protruding rear camera and circular True Tone flash. The bottom of the unit features a single microphone hole rather than an array, while the hardware again shows a lock button that has been moved from the top to the upper right side of the device.

All of the leaked videos, however, show off Apple's anticipated 4.7-inch version of the new iPhone. Not yet seen in such detail is the anticipated 5.5-inch model, though a new video posted by Nowhereelse.fr again suggests that version will feature a 2,915 mAh battery.

The purported iPhone battery shown off in the video is consistent with an earlier leak claiming to show the part for Apple's "phablet" style device. If accurate, it means the 5.5-inch "iPhone 6" would boast nearly double the 1,560-mAh battery capacity of Apple's current flagship iPhone 5s.

Apple is expected to show off the "iPhone 6," as well as the anticipated wearable "iWatch," at a media event scheduled for tomorrow at the Flint Center in Cupertino, Calif. AppleInsider will be there with live coverage, while Apple will also be streaming the event, which kicks off at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern. Readers can also install the official AppleInsider app for up-to-the-minute updates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    lowepglowepg Posts: 106member

More battery life? Bigger screens? More memory?

Pffftttt.

Screw it if the back isnt pretty....

:insert eyeroll of choice:

• Reply 2 of 43
    5.5" with NFC for payments, yes please. Come to me now.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    I stuck a samsung s5 in my pants. :) I think I can fit the 5.5.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

I'm not convinced these leaks are real iPhone 6s, but regardless I'm loving the new design. Slim, sleek, and sexy. 

• Reply 5 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I'm not convinced these leaks are real iPhone 6s, but regardless I'm loving the new design. Slim, sleek, and sexy. 

How are you not convinced they're not real? I mean come on....

• Reply 6 of 43

We will find out soon enough...

• Reply 7 of 43
    Looks like if the camera is going to stick out it'll be chamfered to not catch on anything but I still don't like the fact that it sticks out. Not like that's going to stop me from buying the thing.

Still holding out for an A8-infused 4" iPhone 6.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I wouldn't call this battery massive since it's for the 5.5" model. There are bigger batteries for large phones. I hope Apple can get more efficiency out of it though considering they literally do make almost the entire hardware themselves, as well as the OS.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Looks like if the camera is going to stick out it'll be chamfered to not catch on anything but I still don't like the fact that it sticks out. Not like that's going to stop me from buying the thing.

Still holding out for an A8-infused 4" iPhone 6.

That's the problem with making these things so thin. Something's gotta give, as the song says.

A camera module could be made with a right angle mirror, allowing a thinner module, but the expense and precision would likely be too much to expect.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

Due to upgrade my iPhone 4S, it's lasted well. Have been holding out for a redesigned look as the iPhone 4 - 5S look essentially identical. Assuming this is the new iPhone I don't think it will have the wow factor (purely in terms of looks) that the iPhone 4 had vs the 3GS.

Still, I'll appreciate the fingerprint reader etc. Looking forward to my new phone.

• Reply 11 of 43
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member

With the real announcements a day away, how much do I not care about the latest output form the Chinese rumor mill.

• Reply 12 of 43
    neilm wrote: »
    With the real announcements a day away, how much do I not care about the latest output form the Chinese rumor mill.

And yet, you're commenting on this article, which I imagine you've read anyway. Interesting how that works, isn't it?
  • Reply 13 of 43

Wow, latest iPhone 6 teaser! Check it out.

• Reply 14 of 43
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:

Though the video appears to show Apple's iOS 8 running as expected, there are some inconsistencies that raise the authenticity into question. For example, while no SIM card is installed, in previous images from the user, the carrier information section listed China Unicom. In addition, the user's thumb conveniently hid the handset's model and serial numbers, which are key to identifying new hardware.

I think displaying the most recent carrier with no SIM is expected behavior, and the leaker presumably wouldn't want the unit's serial number to show, as that might allow the source of the iPhone to be identified.

• Reply 15 of 43
    I've had doubts here and there, but I'm 99% convinced that this is the real deal. My only question: You see an updated Passbook icon, but you don't open it?? Seriously?
  • Reply 16 of 43
    The Apple Galaxy S! Yaye... :/
  • Reply 17 of 43
    looks legit to me.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

If it's a fake it's a really well done fake.  Looks real to me and by now a few must have leaked in the supply chain.

• Reply 19 of 43
    Originally Posted by NormM View Post

I think displaying the most recent carrier with no SIM is expected behavior, and the leaker presumably wouldn't want the unit's serial number to show, as that might allow the source of the iPhone to be identified.

It also doesn’t matter; no carrier would be activating iPhone 6 hardware anyway and Apple wouldn’t accept an activation.

• Reply 20 of 43
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

5.5" with NFC for payments, yes please. Come to me now.

So basically an iPad that can make phone calls. And you don’t care how stupid you look holding something that to your ear?