NYT resurrects U2 rumor, says band to play 'significant part' in special Apple event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2014
After rock group U2 seemingly debunked rumors that it was somehow attached to Apple's media event slated for tomorrow, The New York Times on Monday claims the rock group will indeed contribute by performing cuts from its next album and announce a device partnership.

Citing people familiar with the matter, The New York Times reports U2 will "play a significant part" in Apple's special event, which is expected to see the introduction of new iPhones and possibly an "iWatch" wearable device.

According to sources, the band "will reveal an integration" with one or more products Apple plans to announce at the event. Previously, rumors claimed U2's next album would come preloaded on the so-called "iPhone 6" in an unprecedented move for a company traditionally protective of preinstalled content.

A branded device is not out of the question, however, as Apple created a special U2 iPod in 2004 with a distinctive black and red color theme.

Today's news is the latest in back-and-forth speculation surrounding a U2 appearance. Rumors were sparked by a photo supposedly showing U2 involvement in a video spot featuring some type of smartphone, which was followed up by reports claiming frontman Bono would make a special appearance at Tuesday's expected iPhone unveiling. The band's representative quickly denied U2's involvement, saying, "They are not releasing their album on the iPhone, and they are not performing at the iPhone launch."

Apple and U2 have worked together on Bono's Product (RED) charity efforts, raising more than $75 million That has not stopped the two from working together on a personal level, however. Apple sells numerous products supporting Bono's Product (RED) charity and has raised more than $75 million for the Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria.

Most recently, SVP of Design Jony Ive teamed up with superstar designer-- and new Apple employee -- Marc Newson to curate an auction for the charity.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    16 hours to find out just how full of shit NYT is.
  • Reply 2 of 49
    What if they have a hologram of Steve Jobs make some of the announcements?
    That would be interesting.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

COME ON. Don't do it. 

Not saying they're bad, Apple did this in 2004 already. Don't live in the past. 

• Reply 4 of 49

Super far-fetched but I've had the same thoughts- A pre-taped announcement from Steve... Crazy talk I know. At least you know their is one more crazy person out there. :smokey:
  • Reply 5 of 49

iPhone 6 U2 Edition

• Reply 6 of 49
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    They're going to play U2 softly while the audience finds their seats. It will be amazing!
  • Reply 7 of 49
    I HATE THIS NEW APPLEINSIDER PAGE LAYOUT!!! NOT AN IMPROVEMENT!!!
  • Reply 8 of 49
    Originally Posted by LibertyKRS View Post

I HATE THIS NEW APPLEINSIDER PAGE LAYOUT!!! NOT AN IMPROVEMENT!!!

They have a new page layout? I wouldn’t know; I never go to the site proper...

• Reply 9 of 49
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Super far-fetched but I've had the same thoughts- A pre-taped announcement from Steve... Crazy talk I know. At least you know their is one more crazy person out there. image

I can't tell if that would be genius or crazy. Can you imagine if Steve actually taped a message back when he wasn't sure if he'd be around to see the launch of his last awesome project. "If you're watching me on this tape, that means I'm gone. I have no idea if these bozos have f****d up my awesome project but they better have done a good job." 

• Reply 10 of 49
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I think they'll be there but won't do much except announce a new RED version of the iPhone.

The real deal is elsewhere.
  • Reply 11 of 49

They have a new page layout? I wouldn’t know; I never go to the site proper...

On my iPhone...can't open articles in new tabs, Safari controls hidden..
  • Reply 12 of 49

If Narendra Modi can do it (http://bit.ly/1mFR15d) why not Apple with Steve Jobs?
  • Reply 13 of 49
    asdasd wrote: »
    I think they'll be there but won't do much except announce a new RED version of the iPhone.

The real deal is elsewhere.
    That would actually be pretty interesting. A limited edition for charity Product (RED) iPhone 6.

And although a hologram/pre-taped Steve sounds great it will continue the never-ending "Apple can't innovate without Steve" narrative.
  • Reply 14 of 49
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    If Narendra Modi can do it (http://bit.ly/1mFR15d) why not Apple with Steve Jobs?

He's alive at least. The Tupac Shakur one was more impressive.

• Reply 15 of 49
    And although a hologram/pre-taped Steve sounds great it will continue the never-ending "Apple can't innovate without Steve" narrative.

Narratives about Apple will always be what they are. We know by now that Apple cannot, and does not, control that.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    dasanman69 wrote: »

He's alive at least. The Tupac Shakur one was more impressive.

Yes, the Shakur one was quite impressive, but I think that, to be able to pull off something like that in a vast country with poor connectivity is nothing short of unbelievable.
  • Reply 17 of 49
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Yes, the Shakur one was quite impressive, but I think that, to be able to pull off something like that in a vast country with poor connectivity is nothing short of unbelievable.

Good point, portable microwave dish, or sat link perhaps?
  • Reply 18 of 49
    libertykrs wrote: »
    On my iPhone...can't open articles in new tabs, Safari controls hidden..

Yeah, Huddler's not big on Apple. They're all pro-Google, all the way.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

I just saw this. you beat me to it.... Nevermind. I posted this in another thread awhile ago.

• Reply 20 of 49
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member

I think they need U2 to show that the elderly can use it even with what could be interpretted as speech impairment ;-).

Dobby,