Apple rolls out new iCloud storage pricing plans, tops out at 1TB for $20 per month

Posted:
in iCloud edited September 2014
Following the unveiling of official pricing tiers for its iCloud storage plans, Apple on Wednesday took the new plans live, offering users up to one terabyte of space for $20 per month.

The new tiers, outlined in a post to Apple's website on Tuesday, range from 5GB to 1TB of online storage space and can be purchased now via the iCloud settings menu on any connected iOS device.

As previously reported, Apple is carrying over the free 5GB tier that will join options 20GB for 99 cents per month, 200GB for $3.99 per month, 500GB for $9.99 per month and 1TB for $19.99 per month.

Apple first announced the new iCloud storage options at this year's WWDC in June, but did not solidify pricing until yesterday.

The new iCloud tiers go hand-in-hand with Apple's upcoming iCloud Drive cross-platform file storage and sharing service that will go live with the launch of OS X 10.10 Yosemite. Like competing systems from Dropbox and Google, iCloud Drive allows users to store and sync data across Mac, iOS and Windows devices, with added support for advanced features like document editing and tagging.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Just upgraded my storage to 20 GB / month, sweet!
  • Reply 2 of 16

We get 1TB for 9.99 a month from Dropbox Pro and it has always been rock solid at the office... Not something I can say about my apple cloud services in the past. Wait and see on this one.

• Reply 3 of 16
    I am already on that $10.99/Year for 20GB. I wished that thad one more tier at 100GB to 250GB. I wonder if I can create a folder on the iCloud Drive and use it as Time Capsule drive - Now, that would make it worthwhile.
  • Reply 4 of 16

Wait a minute... I thought this was going to be online backup for the desktop. What?!  iOS only?

Is iCloud Drive the online backup option for desktops?

• Reply 5 of 16

Saved me $4.01 and added an additional 5GB. Nice.

• Reply 6 of 16
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

You can't charge $20/month for 1 TB when Dropbox, arguably the market leader, and at the very least a company with an excellent product, charges $10/month for 1 TB.

Rich people may pay more for their phones but they're not going to pay more for their TB.

• Reply 7 of 16
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member

LOL...  $20 a month?  You can spend $10 bucks a month for an Office 365 account.  That comes with 5 users, each of whom get 1TB of storage and get to install the office...  Not a good deal at all Apple!

• Reply 8 of 16
    Sweet!! Just got this email below from Apple:

We recently announced new, more affordable iCloud storage plans. As a thank you for being a current iCloud storage plan subscriber, we’ve upgraded your storage plan and you will be receiving a refund based on the reduced plan price.

Your plan has been upgraded from 25 GB of total storage at $40.00 a year to 25 GB at just $11.99 a year. You will receive a prorated refund of $20.80, which is based on the price reduction and the remaining months on your subscription. On June 7, 2015 this 25 GB plan will automatically renew and you will be charged $11.99.
    We upgraded our storage plans so you can get the most out of our new features like iCloud Drive, which lets you store and access any type of file from all your devices. All edits you make are automatically updated, which means you’ll always have access to the latest version of all your documents.

If you need more storage, you can choose a different plan from iCloud Settings at any time, right from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or PC. Learn more about iCloud storage pricing >

The iCloud Team
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gumbi View Post

LOL...  $20 a month?  You can spend $10 bucks a month for an Office 365 account.  That comes with 5 users, each of whom get 1TB of storage and get to install the office...  Not a good deal at all Apple!

But if you want seamless integration with Apple's ecosystem I doubt Office 365 is going to cut it.

• Reply 10 of 16
    agramonte wrote: »
    We get 1TB for 9.99 a month from Dropbox Pro and it has always been rock solid at the office... Not something I can say about my apple cloud services in the past. Wait and see on this one.
    So apple offers top offer at double the yearly amount.
    radster360 wrote: »
    I am already on that $10.99/Year for 20GB. I wished that thad one more tier at 100GB to 250GB. I wonder if I can create a folder on the iCloud Drive and use it as Time Capsule drive - Now, that would make it worthwhile.
    I am surprised how they are on it, it does get big increases, if they had it maybe just 50 gb, 100 gb, 250, 500, 750, 1000gb(or the actual 256, 512 etc.) then they could have made it $2, $4, $6, $8, $10, $12 monthly, oh but it would have been slightly cheaper but more options.
    Wait a minute... I thought this was going to be online backup for the desktop. What?!  iOS only?

Is iCloud Drive the online backup option for desktops?
    Its both, works with son things on windows too.
    512ke wrote: »
    You can't charge $20/month for 1 TB when Dropbox, arguably the market leader, and at the very least a company with an excellent product, charges $10/month for 1 TB.

Rich people may pay more for their phones but they're not going to pay more for their TB.
    At double the price someone using all macs and IOS would be willing for the quality.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Gonna need this space for that 64 GB iPhone 6, eventual 64 GB iPad mini, and eventual Apple Watch backups.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Funny how quickly we forget that Dropbox upped it from 100GB to 1TB very very recently. And I am betting because they knew this was coming. Had they not, this would seem like better pricing. I have DropBox and love it, but let's be real about how this has (very recently) played out.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

At double the price someone using all macs and IOS would be willing for the quality.

I've always found Dropbox to be fast and reliable, which hasn't always been the case for Apple's cloud services.

Unless apps start removing Dropbox support, I think I'm going to stick with Dropbox for now.

• Reply 14 of 16

Yikes!

I get 1 TERABYTE for FREE with MS Office 365

Even a free SkyDrive account comes with 15GB these days.

What a bunch of jokers Apple are. Lucky shareholders. 

• Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

They can because they're betting on the fact that most people don't want to sign up for a Dropbox account, upload all their songs, download the Dropbox app and configure it for streaming.

• Reply 16 of 16
    kiowavt wrote: »
    Funny how quickly we forget that Dropbox upped it from 100GB to 1TB very very recently. And I am betting because they knew this was coming. Had they not, this would seem like better pricing. I have DropBox and love it, but let's be real about how this has (very recently) played out.

Dropbox upped after Apple announced they were upgrading the plans, maxing out at 1TB. So yeah, they indeed knew it was coming, because Apple news gets read by the competition. Not that Dropbox is a competitor; they simply have Cloud Storage, Apple has a lot more to offer due to their ecosystem.