Samsung back on Apple-bashing bandwagon with new 'It Doesn't Take a Genius' ads

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2014
It took Samsung just one day to deliver six new ad spots that take pot shots at the new iPhone 6, Apple Watch and even Apple's handling of the Tuesday keynote's live stream.

Posted to Samsung's YouTube channel late Wednesday, the commercials feature two Apple Genius lookalikes working in what is presumably a back-of-house Apple Store repair room. The pair banter about Apple's -- arguably successful -- keynote that introduced the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Apple Watch, Apple Pay and more.

The first spot takes a jab at the keynote's live stream, which was non-functional for the first portion of the event. Later reports chalked the issues up to a coding error on Apple's webpage.

Next, Samsung dismantles the iPhone 6, making fun of the larger screens, lack of multitasking, multitouch input without a stylus and battery life.

One of the later ads, which rails on Apple for not providing a "quick charging" solution like the Galaxy Note S, works in a mention of nicked iPhones, a callback to production problems the iPhone 5 experienced two years ago. Dubbed "scuffgate," customers would find nicks and dings on out-of-the-box handsets. The blemishes were later attributed to quality control issues.

Finally, Samsung criticizes the hype surrounding Apple Watch. Quizzically, in bashing the wearable, the Korean company seemingly pooh-poohs the justification behind building a smartwatch. Samsung currently fields no less than five distinct Gear smartwatch models.

Samsung's video series is just the latest in a long-running negative campaign against Apple. In August, for example, the company mocked iPhone users, calling them "wall huggers," because they constantly need to recharge the handset's battery.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 193
    Why are they still advertising to the wrong customer base?!?! How is spending advertising dollars on insulting Apple, their users and apparently their own devices now goining to get them new customers? Wouldn't it make more sense to focus their advertising towards other android users or even Blackberry & Windows phone users? Of course it would make more sense for them to focus on releasing better products but I doubt that will happen either...
  • Reply 2 of 193
    You're misusing the term "quizzically", AI.

"Strangely" or "amusingly" would be better choices.
  • Reply 3 of 193

This is a great ad.

“AHAHAHAH YOU HAVE WATCH THAT JUST PHONE WITHOUT HOLDING PHONE BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO HAVE PHONE LOL IT STUPID IT NOT DO THING”

*Buy our new watch*

• Reply 4 of 193
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Does the watch ad even make sense? Are they making fun of their own watch? Were these ads created by interns?
  • Reply 5 of 193
    QQ in 3..2..damn too late....
  • Reply 6 of 193
    It's ok, Apple isn't worried about these Samsung ads. #samsungsalesdeclining #Applesalesgoingup
  • Reply 7 of 193
    These ads just come across as pedantic and "bitchy."

I guess it's hard for Samsung to competently scrutinise Apple when they're trying to copy every-little-thing Apple do.
  • Reply 8 of 193
    Samaung is getting more nervous because many people will switch from Samsung to iPhone. Many people buy Samsung galaxy because they need a bigger screen.
  • Reply 9 of 193

Meanwhile, Apple makes fun of Samsung by taking marketshare away from them.

• Reply 10 of 193

Samsung would love to have a streaming problem at one of their "keynotes". But nobody cares.

• Reply 11 of 193

C'mon everyone knows that the Samsung guys in the Best Buys are more like these guys in their commercials than the Apple Geniuses. I think Apple should do a commercial showing the one Samsung guy in the Best Buy looking up in the air because there is anyone visiting the Samsung counter. I give Samsung 6 more months before they are out of Best Buys. 

• Reply 12 of 193
    Proud to be a wall-hugger because that means I am using my phone. A lot. A whole lot. As for quick charging... It fully charges in an hour or less.

Samsung would be ecstatic if their users could use their phones as much as Apple's phones are used.
  • Reply 13 of 193
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Proud to be a wall-hugger because that means I am using my phone. A lot. A whole lot. As for quick charging... It fully charges in an hour or less.

Samsung would be ecstatic if their users could use their phones as much as Apple's phones are used.

And there is that. You don't need to charge what you can't be bothered to use. Last for months that way.
  • Reply 14 of 193
    Samsung is completely delusional.

Samsung finds itself in a position where they can see the new Apple products and they cannot copy them all while their own products flop.
  • Reply 15 of 193

Uh, yeah.  These pretty much sum it up.  Cook & Company are going to destroy Apple.  Enjoy what little of it there is left while it lasts.  I couldn't even stand to watch Schiller who usually does a good presentation.

All this stuff used to just be a projection of Steve.  Now, it's just pretentious.

"It's amazing!"

"It goes on your wrist!"

"It will tell you the time!"

"It will tell you how many strokes while you were whacking it!"

I just had to turn it off.

Bah.

• Reply 16 of 193
    I watched all 6 ads. I thought they were excellent ads. Besides being funny they did what Samsung has failed to do until now, they attacked Apple, not their customers. These are more inline with the Mac v PC ads, especially the one with the guy freezing up during the live stream.

Samsung would love to have a streaming problem at one of their "keynotes". But nobody cares.

I don't know who is to blame but I figure some walking papers were handed out. Regardless, it makes Apple look really bad.
  • Reply 17 of 193
    Sad, sad, sad.
  • Reply 18 of 193
    Also, don't forget the one in which they insult the deceased Steve Jobs, keeping it classy.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/09/10/samsung-jobs-quote-big-phone/
  • Reply 19 of 193
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I watched all 6 ads. I thought they were excellent ads. Besides being funny they did what Samsung has failed to do until now, they attacked Apple, not their customers. These are more inline with the Mac v PC ads, especially the one with the guy freezing up during the live stream.

I don't know who is to blame but I figure some walking papers were handed out. Regardless, it makes Apple look really bad.

Really?  Explain the watch ad for me.  How does that help Samsung sell their watches?  And the one about the screen size pretty much just tells anyone living under a rock that one of Samsung's perceived advantages just disappeared.

Or maybe you just forgot the \s?

• Reply 20 of 193
    rickers wrote: »
    Uh, yeah.  These pretty much sum it up.  Cook & Company are going to destroy Apple.  Enjoy what little of it there is left while it lasts.  I couldn't even stand to watch Schiller who usually does a good presentation.

All this stuff used to just be a projection of Steve.  Now, it's just pretentious.

"It's amazing!"

"It goes on your wrist!"

"It will tell you the time!"

"It will tell you how many strokes while you were whacking it!"

I just had to turn it off.

Bah.
    Didn't take long for an Apple hating dick to arrive here now did it? Get lost loser.