Cook says Apple working on products that 'haven't been rumored about yet' [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2014
In an upcoming PBS interview with Charlie Rose, set to air Friday night, Apple CEO Tim Cook discusses the company's current product lineup, Beats, Apple TV, Steve Jobs' legacy and hints at new product categories that "no one knows about."

Source: Charlie Rose

When asked about Apple's future product pipeline, Cook admitted that there are a lot of things the company has interest in, but a focus on execution prohibits the number of devices it can work on at any given point.

"There are products we're working on that no one knows about, yes. That haven't been rumored about yet," Cook said.

On the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, Cook trumpeted praise for the latest handsets, gushing about the Retina HD displays, thinness and speed. Cook pooh-poohed a question asking whether Apple was playing catch-up with Samsung in releasing new 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models.

"No, we -- honestly, Charlie, we could have done a larger iPhone years ago. It's never been about just making a larger phone," Cook said, adding, "It's been making -- it's been about making a better phone in every single way."

The Apple chief also talks about Apple TV, reiterating that television is an area of "great interest" for the company. As usual, not much was shared in the way of details, though Cook did reveal a few things he would like to change regarding user experience.

As for Beats, Cook said the acquisition was more than just about talent, referring to music mogul Jimmy Iovine and rap star Dr. Dre. He touts the firm's Beats Music, saying the streaming service's human-curated playlists give a different "feel" compared to competing services.

Finally, Cook talks about Apple cofounder Steve Jobs, saying, "I think about Steve every day," a comment he made on Tuesday during an interview with ABC News' David Muir. Another interesting tidbit dropped during Rose's interview is that Jobs' office remains untouched at Apple's Cupertino headquarters.

Portions of the two-part interview will air on Charlie Rose This Week tonight, to be followed by the full first segment a few hours later. The second part is scheduled to go live on Monday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 138
    Hmm...
  • Reply 2 of 138

WE NEED MORE RUMORS! Seems the Rumor Mill is falling short. Get to it guys!

I'll have to set the EyeTV to record these. Thanks for the heads up :)

• Reply 3 of 138

I really hope it's an iCar. It is time for Apple to reinvent the auto industry.

• Reply 4 of 138

:wow:

• Reply 5 of 138
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Tims winding up the well connected and noted Tech analysts. Lol
  • Reply 6 of 138
    Ok we have no other rumors to talk about so you guys participate.... Besides TV, what do you think it's apples next release ?
  • Reply 7 of 138
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Very Interesting. Everyone in the media/Wall Street has been constantly whining about when is Apple going to release new products. I predict that we'll soon start to see stories complaining that Apple is losing focus. We're already seeing that with Apple Watch. Ben Thompson says it does to much and shouldn't have an App Store. Cook can't win no matter what he does.
  • Reply 8 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Hmm...

Given Cook's unprecedented "creativity", he is probably talking about the iSocks 2.

• Reply 9 of 138
    And the hype train just keeps rolling. Tim Cook knows how to keep anticipation up!
  • Reply 10 of 138
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Given Cook's unprecedented "creativity", he is probably talking about the iSocks 2.

What are you crying about exactly
  • Reply 11 of 138
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Very Interesting. Everyone in the media/Wall Street has been constantly whining about when is Apple going to release new products. I predict that we'll soon start to see stories complaining that Apple is losing focus. We're already seeing that with Apple Watch. Ben Thompson says it does to much and shouldn't have an App Store. Cook can't win no matter what he does.

Started already - http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/10/analysis-apple-iphone-6-plus-apple-watch-apple-pay

Following. Lacking focus - jeez, what numbskulls.

edit: I don't mean the article, which is well balanced. I meant the idiot quoted in the first paragraph.
  • Reply 12 of 138

Tim is such a 'rumor tease'.

• Reply 13 of 138
    Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

What are you crying about exactly

He doesn’t want his first-gen iPod socks to be outdated!

• Reply 14 of 138
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I want an Apple drone robot that I can program to hover around the house and carry out some simple chores. It can also double as extra security when you're gone, as you would obviously be able to remote access it from anywhere, and it could scan the entire premises, keeping watch, and making sure that no Fandroids break in.

I'd also like an Apple holodeck, and people would have to dedicate one room in their house entirely to it. It wouldn't be cheap, but so what?

I also think that Apple should be working on their own virtual reality system, and obviously doing it better than whatever else is out there currently.

I also think that Apple should work on and eventually release personal jet packs, so people can get around easily. The propulsion system doesn't necessarily have to be jets, it could be something else, but that's for Apple to figure out. They're the ones who are getting paid the big bucks. It would also have to be pretty lightweight and not too noisy.

I also feel that Apple should get into the food business, and release some sort of extremely smart cooking device, that does things that no other single device does today. It would replace a number of devices currently on the market.

I have some other ideas too, but that's enough for now.

• Reply 15 of 138

iCoffee.

Funny enough I am looking at a coffee machine ad to the the right of this post right now.

Everyone likes coffee, right?

• Reply 16 of 138
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Sammy's response: Tim, we need more details on your secret projects. Please Tim.
  • Reply 17 of 138

Check out www.StockBattle.com. Fantasy Sports meets the stock market. Real Cash Prizes. Enter competitions trading virtual stocks against competitors and win cash prizes. Sign up to get on the early access website. 

• Reply 18 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Cook can't win no matter what he does.

I was just noticing Apple's recent sales and profits, and their record pre-orders for the new iPhones.  Cook keeps winning no matter what they say.

• Reply 19 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

Ok we have no other rumors to talk about so you guys participate.... Besides TV, what do you think it's apples next release ?

Apple is in CA, and is now naming their software for CA places. CA has earthquakes. People have been working on earthquake detection and warning systems. The Napa earthquake resulted in many people simultaneously picking up their cell phones. iPhones all now have motion sensors in them. It seems like the motion detectors can be aggrigated and synchronized to build an earthquake alert system.

Siri built into the home seems a natural. Think Tony Stark/ Iron Man and "Jarvis." Although, I suppose Apple Watch is now about to be that. (And hey...I rather presume Apple Watch would be able to connect up to an Mac in a home network like it pairs to the iPhone?)

• Reply 20 of 138

AT least, I hope Cook will DOUBLE DOWN the secrecy as he said earlier.

Honestly, iPhone 6 leaked photos I hated. And the final products is just as same as the leaks - those thick antenna bands. Yuck.  

But for AppWatch - YES - no leaks. Great.