Apple releases iPhone user guide in iBooks

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
Following the public release of iOS 8 on Wednesday, Apple has published its official iPhone User Guide for the new mobile OS on iBooks, making the digital document available on both desktop and portable devices.

Apple's "iPhone User Guide For iOS 8" contains an illustrated overview of iOS 8's new features, as well as usability guides for those not familiar with the mobile operating system.

According to the release notes, the guide covers all iPhones from the new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus down to the iPhone 4S. As such, the content is available in the usual rich iBooks format, making for easy on-the-go reading. In addition to iOS 8-specific tutorials, the guide also offers a sneak peek at Apple's forthcoming 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch handsets.

Also included is a deeper look at the Health app, which integrates with third-party apps via HealthKit to work as a repository for motion, medical and wellness data. Apple today said a bug in the initial iOS 8 release is causing issues with HealthKit-compatible apps and the company has subsequently pulled those titles from the App Store. A fix should be in by the end of the month, Apple said.

The "iPhone User Guide For iOS 8" is available as a free download from the iBookstore and can be viewed on Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod touch models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Got my case. Got some extra charging cables. Now I got the user's guide.

All I need now is the phone!!
  • Reply 2 of 18
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member

Little touches like this are what separates Apple from the Android handset makers, I don't need it but my dad would certainly find it useful.

• Reply 3 of 18
    My 3GS won't run iOS 8. I hope there will be a version for my iPad.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

My 3GS won't run iOS 8.

Of course it wont. It's more than five years old.

• Reply 5 of 18
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Your 3GS? Are you for real? Let me guess, you have the 1st gen iPad and also expect it to run iOS8, right?

• Reply 6 of 18
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

...you have the 1st gen iPad and also expect it to run iOS8, right?

I’d be happy with 6, but no complaints with 5. :p

• Reply 7 of 18
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

iBooks - Cannot Connect to the iBooks Store

I love the way things 'just work'.

Edit: Ok, solved, but that was a fix worthy of Windows.

Not there.  Must be US only.

• Reply 8 of 18
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    You know, your electricity will, on very rare occasions, go out briefly.

Nobody, however, would say that electricity doesn't "just work." Get over yourself.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    inkling wrote: »

Yet your 3GS still had one hardware feature that Android devices still don't have.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

iBooks - Cannot Connect to the iBooks Store

I love the way things 'just work'.

Your sense of entitlement is off the charts. Apple's servers today are being hammered from every single direction, by millions of users downloading iOS8 and a million other updates. God forbid there are some minor, temporary connection problems for some services during that time. As good as Apple is, they're not made of fucking fairy dust. Apple products have never "just worked" all the time, every time, in the entire history of Apple. Nor has anything else man-made in the existence of the universe. So enough with that sarcastic, whiny bullshit. 

• Reply 11 of 18
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Your sense of entitlement is off the charts. Apple's servers today are being hammered from every single direction, by millions of users downloading iOS8 and a million other updates. God forbid there are some minor, temporary connection problems for some services during that time. As good as Apple is, they're not made of fucking fairy dust. Apple products have never "just worked" all the time, every time, in the entire history of Apple. Nor has anything else man-made in the existence of the universe. So enough with that sarcastic, whiny bullshit. 

I love the way you fly off the handle on a rant at the slightest thing.

It wasn't Apple's servers being overloaded.  If you choose to use bullshit advertising by claiming your stuff 'just works'  you are setting yourself up for quite justified criticism when it doesn't.  But thanks for your delightful and civil as usual input.

• Reply 12 of 18
    heliahelia Posts: 170member
    Getting the ios8 took me hours! Anyone know when Apple would release ios8 adaption rate? Guess millions are already on it or will be in few days :)
  • Reply 13 of 18
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I remember when all technical devices came with a thick, beautifully made user manual. I'm glad it's making a comeback though in digital form. It's way better to bury your head in a book for a few hours and know your device through and through than struggle along and ask questions on the Internet over a period of weeks.

• Reply 14 of 18
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

I’d be happy with 6, but no complaints with 5. :p
    I am a little surprised that iOS 8 doesn't work on the 4. But it's to be expected based on their pattern of dropping support for previous models of iPhones. I just thought this might be an exception because I don't recall the differences being that great between the 4 & 4S and Apple continued to sell the 4 in certain markets.

The 3GS is a silly comment, since the 3GS doesn't even support iOS 7. I'd love to see the Apple product where they drop support and then return support a generation later!
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I am a little surprised that iOS 8 doesn't work on the 4. But it's to be expected based on their pattern of dropping support for previous models of iPhones. I just thought this might be an exception because I don't recall the differences being that great between the 4 & 4S and Apple continued to sell the 4 in certain markets.

The 4s  was actually quite a bit different internally.  They looked and functioned the same, but the 4s had a MUCH better CPU/GPU inside it... likely the reason it could support iOS8 and the 4 couldn't (at least not by Apple's standards... of course it COULD have run on the -4, but the experience would not have been what Apple wanted of the device/OS.) .. much the same way that OSX Yosemite won't be able to run on a Macintosh SE/30

• Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

Nor has anything else man-made in the existence of the universe.

Mind you the plucky little Voyager 1 is doing OK after 36 years.

• Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Quote:

Your 3GS? Are you for real? Let me guess, you have the 1st gen iPad and also expect it to run iOS8, right?

No, he has a Newton and expects it to run iOS 8.

• Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I remember when all technical devices came with a thick, beautifully made user manual. I'm glad it's making a comeback though in digital form. It's way better to bury your head in a book for a few hours and know your device through and through than struggle along and ask questions on the Internet over a period of weeks.

It's been making a comeback for five years. Good to see you've discovered it.