Apple's iPhone 6 & 6 Plus gain radio certification in China, but release date still uncertain

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
Following the somewhat surprising news that Apple's next-generation iPhones would not launch in China --?now one of the company's most important markets --?on the same day as their global release, a report from the Asian nation's state-run media confirms that the devices are still awaiting regulatory approval.

Both the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus won China Compulsory Certification this week, according to state press agency Xinhua. China Compulsory Certification, or CCC, is roughly the same as Underwriters Laboratories certification in the U.S.

The handsets still require network access licenses before they can go on sale, however. Those licenses --?which certify that the device is compatible with mobile networks -- are issued by the Telecom Equipment Certification Center, China's equivalent of the U.S. FCC.

There is no word on when the latter could be issued, but devices generally go on sale within days or weeks after receiving approval.

The delay was unexpected, given the growing importance of China to Apple's balance sheet and the fact that China was a day-one launch country for the iPhone 5s. It is possible that the iPhone 6 series's new radios, which support a significantly higher number of LTE bands than past iPhones, are the source of the hangup.

Elsewhere in Asia, India may not see the iPhone 6 until November. The Indian Express spoke with executives from official Apple reseller Vijay Sales who indicated that an October launch is unlikely.

When the iPhone 6 does finally go on sale in India, it could also carry a much higher price tag. The same executive suggested that the device could start at ₨55,000, or approximately $900, for the base model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    not entirely surprising that a communist country isn't going to allow a phone that 100% encrypts all messages and the new technology doesn't even allow apple employees to see in the messages. Which means government censors and government secret police can't snoop.
  • Reply 2 of 29

I was reading a Reuters article that said "some" have indicated that Apple is delaying the approval because it does not have enough product to satisfy all markets.

Mind you... I haven't found a link or anything to tell me who the "some" is...

• Reply 3 of 29
    I think China does not like Apple Pay, and Apple is still negotiating with local banks.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Nothing unusual here other than typical Chinese bureaucracy. All past iPhones except the 5s were delayed in China, frequently waiting for regulatory approval.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    willouyang wrote: »
    not entirely surprising that a communist country isn't going to allow a phone that 100% encrypts all messages and the new technology doesn't even allow apple employees to see in the messages. Which means government censors and government secret police can't snoop.

So you're saying that China will never see the new iPhones, iPads, Macs, or any other apple products?
  • Reply 6 of 29
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I was reading a Reuters article that said "some" have indicated that Apple is delaying the approval because it does not have enough product to satisfy all markets.

Mind you... I haven't found a link or anything to tell me who the "some" is...

I don't understand that. This is a government thing. Are you saying that Apple hasn't submitted their products for certification yet? I don't believe that. They're received half of what they need. Why wouldn't they want the rest? They could delay the release afterwards. Are you saying that will give them an excuse?
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Apple always keeps the iPhone's price in India on the higher side. Also, it's not because of taxes. iPhone 5s launched with much fanfare for a price of ?53,500(US$863) for the 16GB version. However, since the past 2-3 weeks, it has been retailing for as low as ?36000-?37000(US$580-$597) with online retailers, and INCLUSIVE of all taxes. That's lower than what apple charges WITHOUT tax in US. It shows Apple can indeed keep lower price for such a money-minded market. ?55,000(US$890) is absolute BS.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Retracted.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't understand that. This is a government thing. Are you saying that Apple hasn't submitted their products for certification yet? I don't believe that. They're received half of what they need. Why wouldn't they want the rest? They could delay the release afterwards. Are you saying that will give them an excuse?

The way I read it is that Apple is not pressing for the approval... leading "some" to believe that Apple is using this to delay the launch either for increased anticipation or because of product shortages (or both).

By the way... I'm not saying anything...

• Reply 10 of 29
    Just goes to show that "big government" isn't really that much of hindrance to business. All sorts of U.S. corporations are willing to jump through every hoop the Chinese government holds up in order to gain even limited access to the market.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    I have been a huge fan of Apple but currently their technology updates are not upto the mark.Not being buyist but apple is not serving what it should be.People who have switched from Apple to Htc or Samsung are getting a lot of features that is actually making them more productive as compared before.Before i also thought to upgrade my phone and buy the new 5S but i checked a mindblowing review on www.viralexpose.com and mashable related to why i shouldn't get the new iPhone 5S. Than again this video came related to Apple http://viralexpose.com/going-viral/the-real-truth-if-the-iphone-6-were-actually-better-watch-it-apple-lovers/ and i got HTC One m8..till now i am loving my phone.
    Guys if you are planning to get iPhone 6 for yourself,i personally feel its not worth it because the phone has just few updates that are not worth the change.It is better to save money rather than splurge on something that is not worth it.
  • Reply 12 of 29

In my opinion, this will not make any difference in sales unless it extends past December.  Apple is going to sell every phone they can make until then, so having them go to China or not is irrelevant.  I am sure this will all be straightened out long before Chinese New Year.

• Reply 13 of 29
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    It is interesting that both Intel XMM7260 and iPhone 6 both pass China Mobile certification on the same day.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    I think China does not like Apple Pay, and Apple is still negotiating with local banks.

My (somewhat limited) understanding is that the consumer banking and credit industry in China is far less developed than in the West and Europe because most Chinese prefer to deal with cash. There are much larger black markets in China because of wide systemic corruption. I think Apple Pay is kind of a non-starter, unless you're just talking about its use as a debit card. Any attempts to undermine or circumvent Chinese currency or bank regulations will be met with immovable resistance by their government.
  • Reply 15 of 29

Much ado about nothing.

• Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post

In my opinion, this will not make any difference in sales unless it extends past December.  Apple is going to sell every phone they can make until then, so having them go to China or not is irrelevant.  I am sure this will all be straightened out long before Chinese New Year.

I agree... and, obviously, so do quite a few others on here (re: comments on another thread the other day). Whether Apple starts selling them in China now or 4-6 months from now, the demand will be so heavy that it won't make a difference.

• Reply 17 of 29

This is probably a good thing as the big ass short supply 6+ is aimed more at the Asian market, is it not?

• Reply 18 of 29
    I agree... and, obviously, so do quite a few others on here (re: comments on another thread the other day). Whether Apple starts selling them in China now or 4-6 months from now, the demand will be so heavy that it won't make a difference.

Delays caused by their own systems or by government intervention in China will only drive up the price of phones which will again be bought outside their country and imported for resale, as was done before.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    I think this is the Chinese government just quietly reminding Apple 'who is the boss here'. I am sure the paperwork is sitting on someones desk until the word comes down...