Rumor: Apple Watch to feature 512MB of RAM, 4GB of storage

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited November 2014
Apple was light on technical specifications in announcing its forthcoming Watch earlier this month, but one analyst has checked with the company's supply chain to find component makers expect the final shipping product to include 512 megabytes of RAM, and a "mainstream version" with 4 gigabytes of internal storage.

Apple Watch Sport

The details were reported in a new research note to investors on Monday by Timothy Arcuri of Cowen and Company. The note, which was provided to AppleInsider, claims that the 512 megabytes of mobile DRAM will likely be supplied by Samsung, Hynix and Micron.

As for the internal storage, Arcuri believes Apple may offer an 8-gigabyte version of the Watch in addition to the standard 4-gigabyte version, but he said the larger-capacity option will not likely be the default configuration. He expects the memory will come from "most major NAND suppliers."

As for other internal components, Arcuri said he expects the Apple Watch to feature a wireless combination chip similar to the Broadcom BCM43342 found in the iPhone 5s. Interestingly, that chip includes a GPS radio, which Arcuri admitted is "somewhat at odds" with Apple's announcement, where the company said the Watch will require being tethered to an iPhone in order to offer GPS data.

The analyst offered no explanation for this discrepancy, but it's possible that the chip could be a modified version that lacks GPS, or Apple may simply decide not to enable the functionality in order to improve battery life. The company has said it expects users will have to recharge the Apple Watch nightly.

Other companies in the Apple Watch supply chain are said to be a wireless charging integrated circuit from Integrated Device Technology, NFC chips from both NXP and AMS, power management integrated circuits from Maxim Integrated Products and Dialog Semiconductor, a MEMS sensor from Invensense, microcontroller by STMicroelectronics, and Wi-Fi front-end by Skyworks.

The Apple Watch was announced earlier this month, but Apple focused on the design and level of customization available in the forthcoming wearable device, rather than specifications and storage capabilities. Even pricing remains a mystery, with the company saying the Apple Watch will start at $349, but no breakdown of sizes or collections given.

The Apple Watch is scheduled to go on sale in early 2015. It will include a heart-rate monitor, fitness tracking, support for Apple Pay and Siri, and will be the first Apple device to feature wireless inductive charging.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 96
    I suppose we (devs) won't need much more RAM - but that's disappointing as far as internal space.

Maybe they'll pull what they did with the original iPhone and drop the smallest capacity in exchange for the 8gb standard - that seems more acceptable as a basic size.
  • Reply 2 of 96
    There has never been a statue erected to honour an analyst.
  • Reply 3 of 96
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    nobodyy wrote: »
    I suppose we (devs) won't need much more RAM - but that's disappointing as far as internal space.

Maybe they'll pull what they did with the original iPhone and drop the smallest capacity in exchange for the 8gb standard - that seems more acceptable as a basic size.

It's not thin enough- needs to go under a shirt sleeve.. But maybe it will get thinner like every iPhone ever has.
  • Reply 4 of 96
    The apps should be smaller than the average iOS app, given that the visual assets will likewise be small. And that's what, 500 256kbps AAC songs? Not bad. It'd be good if you could use Airdrop to change the songs on your watch, pulling them from your iPhone.
  • Reply 5 of 96
    The apps should be smaller than the average iOS app, given that the visual assets will likewise be small. And that's what, 500 256kbps AAC songs? Not bad. It'd be good if you could use Airdrop to change the songs on your watch, pulling them from your iPhone.

Ya I'm ok with the 4 GB. I only need even 100 songs max for the gym or to go on a run, and then a few apps. More space is always welcome, but not of it sacrifices battery or the size of the watch.
  • Reply 6 of 96
    pazuzu wrote: »
    It's not thin enough- needs to go under a shirt sleeve.. But maybe it will get thinner like every iPhone ever has.

People will buy shirts with wider sleeves. Just like they bought pants with wider pockets to accommodate smartphones.
  • Reply 7 of 96
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    philboogie wrote: »
    People will buy shirts with wider sleeves. Just like they bought pants with wider pockets to accommodate smartphones.

You nailed it! Now we know why Apple have hired so many fashion experts ... it's to design new shirts and pants ... :D
  • Reply 8 of 96
    However much RAM Apple ship in anything it is never enough ... so say the experts at AI.

That said, no iDevice should ship without at least 32 GIGs of storage ... so say I! :D
  • Reply 9 of 96
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

You nailed it! Now we know why Apple have hired so many fashion experts ... it's to design new shirts and pants ... :D

• Reply 10 of 96
    Its not wireless inductive charging. It's magnetic inductive charging. There is a wire involved that must be magnetically connected to the back of the watch.
  • Reply 11 of 96
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

No it's not too thick, and it doesn't have to go under a shirt sleeve. If you look at more expensive watches, many are between 9 and 12.5mm thick, and they don't go under a shirt sleeve.

Even many dress watches don't go under a shirt sleeve. If someone wants a thin watch, they can buy one of those too. But as a requirement, no.

If you wear an expensive watch that is thick, as many are, and you really want them to go under your cuff, the you wear a French cuff, and it will go under.
  • Reply 12 of 96
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    However much RAM Apple ship in anything it is never enough ... so say the experts at AI.

That said, no iDevice should ship without at least 32 GIGs of storage ... so say I! :D

Ha! Got you on that. It's not an iDevice. It's called the Apple Watch.
  • Reply 13 of 96
    melgross wrote: »

Oh come on ?/i they are the same thing ;)
  • Reply 14 of 96
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If you wear an expensive watch that is thick, as many are, and you really want them to go under your cuff, the you wear a French cuff, and it will go under.

Want to bet most of the folks bitching about the thickness of the watch doesn't own a french cuff shirt?

• Reply 15 of 96

I used to have one of those shirts, looked great on stage when I played in a band in the 19[REDACTED]s.

That said, the pants (bell bottoms of course) were so tight my b*lls still ache from wearing them to this day.
  • Reply 16 of 96
    melgross wrote: »

Hey I am in a bad mood this morning. Spent my entire month's allowance on GTA-SA from the Mac App store and it doesn't run on the nMP! ggrrrrrr.
  • Reply 17 of 96

Wouldn't be their first endeavour into clothing:

• Reply 18 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Here's the thing, it won't actually hold content (it'll most likely be more of a conduit for iTunes or your iPhone's library), but, even then devs only have ~2gb to play and share with.

Good, because it imposes strict standards for app devs and will enforce lack of Watch app bloat.

Bad, because it will be harder for devs to produce apps that operate on a higher level of independence than their iPhone counterparts, maybe even for things like Core Data storage.

But it's all speculative - I can't wait to see the Watch SDK.

• Reply 19 of 96
    nobodyy wrote: »

Indeed. There's a reason why the promo photos tend to show sporty types wearing t-shirts and no long sleeves. It's a tacit acknowledgement by Apple that it's the fitness freaks that they're attracting, despite the apparent lack of GPS.
  • Reply 20 of 96
    Tim Cook (and Jony Ive) wore long sleeve shirts during the keynote, covering their watches. So I don't think it's that bulky. Plus, after plunking down $349 I imagine folks will want it to be visible.