Apple surreptitiously adds HomeKit support to recent Apple TVs - report

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2015
In addition to a revamped user interface and a new Beats Music app, Apple is said to have given third-generation Apple TVs an intriguing under-the-hood tweak in last week's software update: compatibility with the company's new HomeKit home automation technology.

The new boss: same as the old boss?
The new boss: same as the old boss?

HomeKit support was initially included in late beta versions of Apple TV Software Update 7.0, which was released alongside iOS 8 on Wednesday. Despite being absent from Apple's official update documentation, the HomeKit frameworks did make into the shipping update, according to Aaron Tilley of Forbes.

HomeKit is a software framework designed to make it easy for consumers to control home automation systems -- whether they utilize a standard, like Zigbee, or a proprietary protocol to communicate --?from an iOS device. HomeKit abstracts away the connecting "glue," with the goal of allowing companies that are good at hardware to design the hardware and companies that excel at software to design the software while Apple helps them talk to each other.

Many have speculated that HomeKit is the first software salvo from Apple in the home, and that "iLights" and "iLocks" are soon to follow. As AppleInsider predicted in June, however, the most likely HomeKit hardware product from Apple is the Apple TV:
Imagine bringing home a fourth-generation Apple TV, connecting it to your Wi-Fi network, and immediately being able to ask Siri to turn off your downstairs lights and raise the temperature in the house when you go to bed, no matter which smart home manufacturer made the bulbs and thermostat. All of this with minimal additional configuration -- and minimal investment -- thanks to the behind-the-scenes work done by Apple with HomeKit.
Such a scenario now seems even more certain, given that the millions of third-generation Apple TVs already in consumers' homes can serve the same purpose. Apple has been tight-lipped about HomeKit since summer's Worldwide Developers Conference, but this could be a sign that more developments will soon be on the way, perhaps as early as the rumored media event to be held near the end of October.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    Good job of patting yourself on the back. Confirming your own rumor while only implying that it may be true. "Apple is said to have". Either they did or didn't.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    Surreptitiously... You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
  • Reply 3 of 46

I've given up on explaining grammar to geeks.

• Reply 4 of 46
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

So when is the new Apple TV going to be released?  We're over 2 and a half years now on the current iteration.  Let's move it Apple...

• Reply 5 of 46
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Good job of patting yourself on the back. Confirming your own rumor while only implying that it may be true. "Apple is said to have". Either they did or didn't.

Are you seriously asking for a confirmation of a rumor from a rumor site?

• Reply 6 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

So when is the new Apple TV going to be released?  We're over 2 and a half years now on the current iteration.  Let's move it Apple...

Geez. 2 weeks ago you were saying the same thing about new iPhones, a watch and a payment system. They have another event of announcements in October. Give them at least until then before demanding more.

• Reply 7 of 46

What kind of lunatic raises the temperature when they go to bed?

Yeah, I want to sweat all night.  Sounds lovely.  Not.

Now, lowering the temp when I go to bed, that's more like it.

• Reply 8 of 46
    Quote:

So what needs to change on it?  I don't think a $99 device is going to support 4k this year, and that's about all the hardware is lacking at this point.

Now, a new Mac mini - THAT's overdue.

• Reply 9 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wigby View Post

Geez. 2 weeks ago you were saying the same thing about new iPhones, a watch and a payment system.

No I wasn't

Quote:

They have another event of announcements in October. Give them at least until then before demanding more.

We're 6 months (at the least) overdue on an Apple TV refresh.  October is fine- better late than never.  And if it doesn't get announced then- can we complain then?  Please, educate me when it's ok to complain about 4 year old technology being passed off as the "current" generation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

So what needs to change on it?  I don't think a $99 device is going to support 4k this year, and that's about all the hardware is lacking at this point.

AC?

Universal search?

More onboard storage?

Processor?

Ram?

Sure, with what it can currently do, outside of AC and (possibly) universal search- there is no benefit to an increase.  I'm not interested in what it currently does, but what it can do.  And we won't have an app store and dedicated games (and subsequently, MiFi controller popularity) unless the rest is updated.

• Reply 10 of 46
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Perhaps 'quietly' sounds a bit less sinister than 'surreptitiously'?
  • Reply 11 of 46
    Quote:

No I wasn't

We're 6 months (at the least) overdue on an Apple TV refresh.  October is fine- better late than never.  And if it doesn't get announced then- can we complain then?  Please, educate me when it's ok to complain about 4 year old technology being passed off as the "current" generation.

There's a difference between complaining just to hear the sound of your own voice and complaining for others to hear your voice. Complaining right before another secret event is pointless because your questions will be answered. You might not like the answers but there's no need to complain about them before you even get them.

• Reply 12 of 46
    Quote:

There's a difference between complaining just to hear the sound of your own voice and complaining for others to hear your voice. Complaining right before another secret event is pointless because your questions will be answered. You might not like the answers but there's no need to complain about them before you even get them.

I'm sorry- when did I complain before a secret event?

Are you confusing me with someone else?  I said nothing negative in any fashion about the iPhone event.  And please enlighten me about a future "secret" event that is planned that apparently you know about that no one else does.  We anticipate an iPad event- and that's it.  Are there mystery boxes being built somewhere that we aren't aware of?

Is there a rumor the Apple TV refresh will be announced this October?  If so- I haven't heard of a single one.  In fact, the original article links to their other article which states:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Finally, the company is also rumored to be working on an update to its Apple TV set-top box, potentially with new input methods and support for downloadable third-party applications. But the latest claims suggest Apple remains held up by talks with cable companies and content owners, suggesting that such negotiations could push the launch of a hardware refresh back to 2015.

My "questions" might not be answered or addressed at all if the Apple TV- yet again- doesn't make an appearance.  So I repeat- please let me know when it's ok to complain about 4 year old tech being passed off as new- since you are the czar of what we can and can't complain about.

• Reply 13 of 46
    Quote:

I'm sorry- when did I complain before a secret event?

Are you confusing me with someone else?  I said nothing negative in any fashion about the iPhone event.  And please enlighten me about a future "secret" event that is planned that apparently you know about that no one else does.  We anticipate an iPad event- and that's it.  Are there mystery boxes being built somewhere that we aren't aware of?

Is there a rumor the Apple TV refresh will be announced this October?  If so- I haven't heard of a single one.  My "questions" might not be answered or addressed at all if the Apple TV- yet again- doesn't make an appearance.  So I repeat- please let me know when it's ok to complain about 4 year old tech being passed off as new- since you are the czar of what we can and can't complain about.

I'm lumping you in with all the complainers. It's not hard to do.

• Reply 14 of 46
    Quote:

I'm lumping you in with all the complainers. It's not hard to do.

Well- that's absolutely ridiculous to do considering I rarely complain about anything Apple ever- I have 2400+ posts- go take a gander.

And of course- you completely ignored the fact that no rumors point to the Apple TV releasing this October.

At least it's easy to understand now how uniformed and misrepresented your posts are considering you put no research or thought into them and just "lump them together".

• Reply 15 of 46
    darkvader wrote: »

Ahh ...

In much of populated California, the daytime temps get 80-90 degrees and nighttime 30-50 degrees ... there isn't a lot of foliage/trees to retain the heat and humidity. Also, compared to colder climates, the houses are not particularly well insulated.

In the winter months, in the San Francisco East Bay we normally heat our 2-story house with a heat-radiating, wood-burning fireplace in the family room (when we're allowed to burn). Around the house we wear sweats or sweaters ..

Then, before bedtime we each turn on our electric blankets. Very comfortable and saves energy and $.

This is the same routine we used when we lived in Tucson ...
  • Reply 16 of 46
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

I'll believe it when someone finds references to HomeKit in the codebase, not when some analyst looking for their 15 minutes of fame cites "unnamed sources close to Apple".

• Reply 17 of 46

Surreptitiously, really? So, you are implying that this is some Apple conspiracy to put secret stiff on our Apple TV? All you have to do is rite click on the word to find out it means "kept secret, esp. because it would not be approved of".  Who is going to disapprove of Home Kit?

I I think you meant something more along the lines of quietly or without prior notification.

• Reply 18 of 46
    As I stated in several earlier threads, the AppleTV would be an ideal HomeKit controller/server.

Consider: you were out and about with your iPhone running HomeKit -- as you approach home, you want to turn lights on, unlock the gates, open the garage door, etc.

Simple, Right? You just use your iPhone to send the commands to ... to [B][I]... to what, exactly?[/I][/B] To your router? To each accessory?

That means, the control codes are sent in a way that anyone can intercept them ... Likely, they are sent in the clear, because the accessories (or router) don't have the intelligence to decrypt and decode them.

A stalker with a sniffer, could then, monitor your home, and observe which actions correlate to which codes received ... (easier than getting nude celeb photos).

Better, to have an intelligent HomeKit controller/server to manage the accessories -- when at home or when away. The control codes would never be sent in the clear. A randomized token could be sent instead. Further the HomeKit controller/server and iPhone remote (and local) could share algorithms such that, say, [I] a token to unlock the door [/I] is sent differently each time.

Of the devices that Apple has for the home, [B][I]the $99 AppleTV seems the ideal device for a powerful, inexpensive and secure HomeKit controller/server.[/I][/B]
  • Reply 19 of 46
    darkvader wrote: »

Well, physiologically, if you let the temperature drift up as your metabolism slows your body is fine. Ideally you would give yourself a half hour to fall asleep and then let temperature slowly raise a few degrees. You might also have non sleep areas on a separate thermostat which will now be unoccupied...
  • Reply 20 of 46
    I don't get it. What does an Apple TV bring to the table when you can already control homekit devices with Siri on your iPhone and iPad, and soon ? Watch, both in and out of the home?