thunderbolt to USB or FireWire adapter

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited October 2014

I’m trying to find an adapter for a thunderbolt connecter to a USB or fireWire port.   What wording would I have to use to google it or find it on MonoPrice, Belkin, etc.?

I’ve tried every combination that I can think of but come up with O results. Is there such an adapter?

I want to connect a 20” Viewsonic monitor by a displayport thunderbolt connector to a 15” MBP (early 2008) that has no thunderbolt ports.

Suggestions, anyone?  Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I want to connect a 20” Viewsonic monitor by a displayport thunderbolt connector to a 15” MBP (early 2008) that has no thunderbolt ports.

You’re not going to be able to do this. Just grab a DisplayPort-DVI adapter.

• Reply 2 of 11

Dear sequitur, you may try to duck it. You might find what you need.

• Reply 3 of 11
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member

"Just grab a DisplayPort-DVI adapter." 

That's what I have now, but there is no MBP port that will accept DVI / (thunderbolt?). I need an adapter from the thunderbolt connecter to a USB or Firewire port.  Does that exist? 

• Reply 4 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    sequitur wrote: »
     "Just grab a DisplayPort-DVI adapter." 

That's what I have now, but there is no MBP port that will accept DVI / (thunderbolt?). I need an adapter from the thunderbolt connecter to a USB or Firewire port.  Does that exist? 

Oh, you have the early 2008 MBP that has no Mini-Displayport nor Thunderbolt but DVI output (far right).

Doesn't the Viewsonic have the same DVI port on it, in which case, you'd just connect it with a DVI to DVI cable? What's the model of the Viewsonic so we know what ports are on it?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Wh… what? The display has DisplayPort on it, right? Just get a DisplayPort to DVI cable…

• Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Oh, you have the early 2008 MBP that has no Mini-Displayport nor Thunderbolt but DVI output (far right).

Doesn't the Viewsonic have the same DVI port on it, in which case, you'd just connect it with a DVI to DVI cable? What's the model of the Viewsonic so we know what ports are on it?

Thanks. I'm just not conversant with cable nomenclature and didn't know that was called a DVI port.  Now I understand.   The Viewsonic is model "VX 2025wm.  The screen on the MBP turned green and isn't useable.  I'm hoping that an exterior monitor can be used instead.  I'll attempt to use the MBP in closed clamshell mode.  Forgive me if my choice of terms is incorrect.  I'm doing my best to keep up with mac technology but my aged brain doesn't always keep pace.

Thanks for your help as well as your understanding.

• Reply 7 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    sequitur wrote: »
    The Viewsonic is model "VX 2025wm.  The screen on the MBP turned green and isn't useable.  I'm hoping that an exterior monitor can be used instead.  I'll attempt to use the MBP in closed clamshell mode.

These are the ones with the defective NVidia 8600M GT graphics boards. You can try connecting it with the DVI cable that should come with the display:

http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Digital-Dual-Link-Cable-Black/dp/B009WA4EBU

but if the GPU has broken, the external won't work either or if it does, it won't work for long.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

These are the ones with the defective NVidia 8600M GT graphics boards. You can try connecting it with the DVI cable that should come with the display:

http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Digital-Dual-Link-Cable-Black/dp/B009WA4EBU

I found them -  buried deep in a boxful of old cables from years back.  I wouldn't have remembered if you hadn't said they came with the display.   That'll save time having to order new ones.  Thanks.

• Reply 9 of 11

Eureka!  That cable worked. Everything seems to work.  I can use the screen with the MBP closed.  

Thanks Marvin and AI members for leading me to the promised land.  This seems to resolve another problem I was having on the MBP - a frequent spinning beach ball. I don't know how or why, but I'm grateful that it did. It's like having a brand new computer.

• Reply 10 of 11

Eliminate me personally in the event that my range of phrases can be incorrect. Now i am performing my finest to maintain having macintosh technological innovation nevertheless my outdated mental faculties won't keep pace.

http://www.jamesnoblefamilylaw.com.au/