Internet connection sharing on cross platforms?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey, i have a question for all you dual platform folks.

i have a PC that's hooked up to my DSL modem. the modem they gave me only has a USB port on it, which is plugged directly into my computer, thus providing my internet connection.

i'd like to have it set up so that my other computers can have high speed access as well.

so i turned on Internet Connection Sharing on my win2k box, plugged an ethernet card from it to a hub, and then plugged my iBook into the hub.

they can now fileshare no problem. in fact, the iBook even grabs the correct DHCP info from the win2k machine, but it can't access the internet.

anyone know what i might be doing wrong?

-alcimedes

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    tjmtjm Posts: 367member
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>Hey, i have a question for all you dual platform folks.

i have a PC that's hooked up to my DSL modem. the modem they gave me only has a USB port on it, which is plugged directly into my computer, thus providing my internet connection.

i'd like to have it set up so that my other computers can have high speed access as well.

so i turned on Internet Connection Sharing on my win2k box, plugged an ethernet card from it to a hub, and then plugged my iBook into the hub.

they can now fileshare no problem. in fact, the iBook even grabs the correct DHCP info from the win2k machine, but it can't access the internet.

anyone know what i might be doing wrong?

-alcimedes</strong><hr></blockquote>

The first thing I would check is the DNS settings in TCP/IP. Use the IP address your ISP gave you in the Domain Name Servers box, then the name of your ISP in the Search Domains box. That's one I always forget when setting up a new computer on my network.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    weird, turns out it was zone alarm. i added my machine IP, the internal card, the IP range, domain etc. and it still won't let me through.

shutting off zone alarm works perfectly though.