Trouble logging into Messages

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited October 2014

For some reason Messages on my Mac just stopped working. I've been using it for months with the only problem being its insistence on showing messages in incorrect order. Now I can't log in (which is weird since I've never logged OUT).

I opened Preferences/Accounts and saw that my Apple ID was listed as "inactive." When I enter my password and hit the Sign In button I get a pop-up that says "Your Apple ID "[email protected]" can't be used to set up iMessage at this time. If this is a new Apple ID, you do not need to create another one. To use this Apple ID with iMessage, contact iMessage support with the code below. Customer Code: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX"

When I click the Contact Support button it takes me to a page that says call this phone number and give them the code. When I call the number it says I don't have AppleCare and will have to pay $60 if I want help. I don't wanna.

The iCloud status page indicates all services are up, so it probably isn't that.

I *am* able to use Messages on the Mac at work. How's THAT for a confusing variable? :)

At some point I'd be interested in knowing how my connection got broken in the first place, but for now I'd be happy with getting it working again. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1

UPDATE: Apparently a common problem, but not one that can be solved by the user. A call to Apple is required. If you can find a way to get through (like by scheduling a call-back), explaining that it's an account problem and not a hardware issue and providing the Customer Code that pops up will result in Apple fixing it without charging for the support call.