Computer Bild on the naughty step?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2014

The largest European computer magazine claims to have been sent to Coventry by Apple for bending an iPhone 6.

http://www.computerbild.de/artikel/cb-News-Handy-Apple-boycotts-COMPUTER-BILD-An-open-letter-to-Tim-Cook-10953399.html

Whilst Apple have not officially responded to Computer Bild's open letter it does raise some serious questions about the subjectivity of the press in the light of BendGate/BendGhazi.

Although I doubt that the average punter will experience any problems it does seem odd that most media outlets claim that they have tried (and failed) to bend their iphones, conversely those who have nothing to lose, ie video bloggers, 15 year olds, some customers and now Computer Bild seem to have bent the phones at the weakest point with a degree of ease.

I do hope the suggestions that apple are strong arming the press are not true but having witnessed what can best be described as censorship at organs such as The Guardian, I am not so sure.

The 9to5Mac article goes in to greater depth

http://************/2014/09/30/bendgate/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3

Good. Screw ‘em. You want to spread libel, there are consequences for it.

You’d think a company that gets models of products for early review would have the intelligence to comprehend this.

• Reply 2 of 3

You almost seem to endorsing Apple's stance, assuming that Computer Bild's claims about being ostracised are true.

I don't speak German, so I don't know how favourable the review was (aside from the bending part), however, if the bending of the phone was not sleight of hand, it does raise some serious questions.

I can see that a firm would not want to offer grace and favours to a publication which has a history of maligning them but that firm cannot expect a constant stream of sycophantic praise from their chosen ones. 

If there is an issue with the 6+ perhaps apple should acknowledge it and address it rather than damning those that mention it. On the balance of probability it seems likely that more sources will come forward showing the phone being bent. The degree to which the phone might bend in the real world is irrelevant, the public will start to lose faith in those sectors of the press that claim that they couldn't bend the phone and ultimately in Apple; with the added danger of Apple being seen as a bully boy that cajoled and strong armed the press.

• Reply 3 of 3
    Originally Posted by hungover View Post

If there is an issue with the 6+ perhaps apple should acknowledge it and address it rather than damning those that mention it.

Have you been paying attention?

On the balance of probability it seems likely that more sources will come forward showing the phone being bent.

Already proven not to have anything to do with the phone.