Pioneer aftermarket car stereos & Spotify both add support for Apple's CarPlay

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
Though it arrived later than expected, Pioneer on Thursday supplied updates for its existing NEX lineup of car stereos to support Apple's CarPlay. In addition, popular streaming music service Spotify also saw an update to its iOS application to add support for Apple's new car infotainment platform.

Pioneer had originally demonstrated CarPlay support for its NEX aftermarket car systems back in May, promising that the update would become available to users in "a few weeks." That update was finally supplied by the company on Thursday.

Firmware updates are now available to download for the AVIC-X8610BS, AVH-4000NEX, and the AVIC-5000NEX, 6000NEX, 7000NEX and 8000NEX.

Pioneer on Thursday also introduced a new, more affordable $600 unit called the AppRadio 4 featuring a 6.2-inch WVGA capacitive touchscreen. CarPlay is compatible with iOS 7.1 or later running on an iPhone 5 or newer.

Pioneer's units also support Siri Eyes Free, which provides voice prompts to users and receives commands through an external microphone built into the head unit.

"The new AppRadio 4 embodies our idea of the connected car, providing the majority of smartphone owners the ability to utilize their devices in the car for calling, streaming music, and even controlling supported apps to enhance their driving experience," said Ted Cardenas, vice president of marketing for the Car Electronics Division of Pioneer Electronics.

Out of the box, CarPlay supports native Apple applications including Music and Maps, while select third-party developers have been announced. Among those is Spotify, which added support in an update to its official iOS application on Thursday.

Spotify version 1.8.0 allows users to play Spotify in a CarPlay equipped vehicle by connecting a compatible iPhone. The update also adds support for Swedish and Quebec French.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19

Wow, that's cool! I was just waiting for a good integration of my iPhone into my car....great!

Hopefully they will support the mirroring of the iPhone's display content to some in-car entertainment display. It would be awesome to sit in the back of some car and play some game on a bigger screen build into the neck support :)

• Reply 2 of 19

Good to see. I'm considering a new car in the near future. I will only buy one with Apple's CarPlay....  :)

P.S. It probably won't be a Ferrari.

• Reply 3 of 19
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    The cheapest Pioneer unit is $600. I don't need CarPlay that bad.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Thats MSRP- The 4000 and 5000 NEX are $530 (free shipping) and the AppRadio4 was just announced- but the 3 was selling for $355 on Amazon before the announcement- so it'll likely be closer to $400.

I'd actually buy the App4 if my Ac/Heating system in my Lincoln's weren't tied into my radio display.

These things really wont work well with newer cars unless theyre lower-end ones.  I guess I could find a way to mash it into my 69' vette somehow.  :no:

• Reply 5 of 19
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Just bought a new Subsru Forester. Was going to wait until the CarPlay was available as Subaru promised, but knowing how they lag in tech, I would have still been waiting in two years. I got the highest level radio/nab unit hoping that a firmware update in the future might be available. A guy can dream can't he? I would even spring for a Pioneer aftermarket unit (Subie says they make their factory units) if it could be hooked up to the internal GPS and antenna.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Of course..... Pioneer site is down so I can't even get the firmware. Is there a mirror?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Graves View Post

Of course..... Pioneer site is down so I can't even get the firmware. Is there a mirror?

I wonder if they are down (or horribly slow in my case) because so many are truly interested in Carplay equipment. 

• Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iPilya View Post

I wonder if they are down (or horribly slow in my case) because so many are truly interested in Carplay equipment. 

Yes, just horribly slow.  So much so that it just gets stuck loading a blank screen.  I'm guessing that it's just bogged down with ppl downloading the update.  Pretty irritating tho as they said it was going to be out this summer and I have a couple of inches of snow on the ground outside.  Would be nice if they had paired up with one of the major download sites to offer the firmware with no site issues.

• Reply 9 of 19
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

thats a MSRP. as with the prior versions it will be about 4-500 bucks -- not unusual for a double-din, touch-enabled head unit. supports steering wheel controls, reverse camera, external GPS antenna, amplifiers, radio, etc. 

• Reply 10 of 19
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Graves View Post

Pretty irritating tho as they said it was going to be out this summer and I have a couple of inches of snow on the ground outside.  Would be nice if they had paired up with one of the major download sites to offer the firmware with no site issues.

eh, summer ended Sept. 23 -- so barely a week late. its 80s where i live.

• Reply 11 of 19
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

Updated the firmware on my AVIC 4000NEX, shows car play options in the system, but can't figure out how to get it to come up. I connected my phone via lightning to the back. The only thing I can think of, is that it is connected in port #2, perhaps it only works with port #1

For anyone wondering and didn't read the documentation because of a slow site, the 4000NEX firmware is the same as the 5000NEX firmware. When you download the 4000NEX firmware, it will expand in a 5000NEX folder. Simply drag that folder to a SD card and put the SD card in. The AVIC5000NEX folder must be the root folder. Don't drag the files into the root or it won't work.

• Reply 12 of 19
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Does that middle button look like a windows logo or what?!!

I wish Apple had disrupted the car stereo market and developed their own units. The ones I've seen from various companies are just ugly with little taste.

Maybe they couldn't strike deals with car manufacturers. Now CarPlay hardware is looking like Windows PCs.
  • Reply 13 of 19

I, too, have a 4000NEX connected through port USB2.  Likewise, it doesn't work.  The limited instructions from Pioneer on this refers once to iPod1 (USB1).  It must mean that USB1 is the working connection.  Changing mine tomorrow.

• Reply 14 of 19
    Holy Cow Pasture(s) Batman! Thats a whole heck of a lot of Green! Why? BYOD Bring your own device with D2D.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    tdgmtdgm Posts: 1member

I am also getting CarPlay to show on HOme screen. System says it is on but nothinh on home screen or even when I press the av button. Does says it is avaliable in system setup for smartphone connected via usb.

• Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Does that middle button look like a windows logo or what?!!

Sort of.  But that's the Pioneer logo that been on the Home button for years, long before Apple signed on.

• Reply 17 of 19
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

Just an update...

So yes, on the 4000NEX, you must use the first port. Everything works as intended and switching between the main deck and CarPlay is super easy. Tested texting while driving, fairly decent, but sucks they don't show attachments such as pics on the screen. Guess it is supposed to be eyes free after all. Listening to music while having maps up works great. Maps seem to be slightly clunky, but I'm ok with that. Great to have a $600 deck with full up to date maps with the ability to play music at the same time. Calling is much easier on CarPlay than the deck itself. 

I'm pretty damn happy for the $600 spent for 7" screen, dvd player, full iphone control, detachable face, 13 band eq, and dual usb ports. 

• Reply 18 of 19
    emig647 wrote: »
    Just an update...

So yes, on the 4000NEX, you must use the first port. Everything works as intended and switching between the main deck and CarPlay is super easy. Tested texting while driving, fairly decent, but sucks they don't show attachments such as pics on the screen. Guess it is supposed to be eyes free after all. Listening to music while having maps up works great. Maps seem to be slightly clunky, but I'm ok with that. Great to have a $600 deck with full up to date maps with the ability to play music at the same time. Calling is much easier on CarPlay than the deck itself. 

I'm pretty damn happy for the $600 spent for 7" screen, dvd player, full iphone control, detachable face, 13 band eq, and dual usb ports. 

This information is very helpful! Thanks!
  • Reply 19 of 19
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    Ready to buy one, but not a new car, so this is welcome news. I suspect a lot of people feel the same way.