Eric Schmidt says Google 'far more secure' than Apple, denies allegations of harvesting data

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2014
Google Executive Chairman Eric Shmidt on Thursday responded to comments made by Apple CEO Tim Cook referring to the Internet search giant's privacy policies, saying Cook is misinformed and that Google's systems are "far more secure" than anything Apple has.

In an interview with CNN, Schmidt told CNN Money anchor Christine Romans that Google is a leader in data privacy and any contention to that fact, such as a recent missive from Cook, is incorrect. Schmidt is currently on tour advertising his new book "How Google Works" with co-author and Google SVP Jonathan Rosenberg.

"Someone didn't brief him correctly on Google's policies, that's unfortunate for him," Schmidt said of Cook. "In Google's place, we have always been the leader in security and in encryption. Our systems are far more secure and encrypted than anyone else, including Apple. They're catching up, which is great."

As part of Apple's recent push for consumer privacy, Cook last month published an open letter to the company's website, reinforcing that iCloud user data is not only secure, but will never be monetized. A section of the note suggests unnamed service providers harvest sensitive user information for monetary gains, a business model to which privacy advocates are vehemently opposed.

From Cook's letter:
A few years ago, users of Internet services began to realize that when an online service is free, you're not the customer. You're the product.
During today's interview, Schmidt said, "All the things [Cook] implied we're doing, we don't do." The Google exec did, however, note that Gmail does display ads to users, something the company has done for a decade. He quickly pointed out that information gathered in the email ad serving process is used "for nothing," but did not elaborate on the subject.

Romans asked Schmidt what he thought about recent comments from Julian Assange, who said Google shares a business model with the U.S. National Security Agency. Schmidt attempted to extricate Google from the arguably negative comparison by saying the NSA does not have a business model because it is funded by the government.

Aside from stating the obvious, he said Google does not work with the NSA in any way, adding that the two parties have never "talked." Schmidt was not asked whether Google is or has been complicit in handing over user data to the beleaguered state agency.

"I think Julian needs to do a little bit more research from the safety of the embassy," Schmidt said. Assange is currently eluding extradition by living out of the Ecuadorian embassy in London.

Schmidt and Assange have a bit of a feud going, as Assange's latest book "When Google Met WikiLeaks" was released one day following "How Google Works."

The remainder of the interview deals with general data privacy, diversification in the workplace and Google's corporate culture.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 193
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    If there is one thing Schmidt learned in North Korea, it is believing your own damn lies. They might have a vacancy soon.
  • Reply 2 of 193
    Dear Eric,

Nobody* believes you.

Have a nice day.

*with a functioning brain
  • Reply 3 of 193
    If Google is "secure" why are Google's business apps and cloud NOT HIPPA Compliant for maintaining security and privacy of patient data???

That is because Google is not secure.
  • Reply 4 of 193
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    While they may not "harvest your data", I think there is a big difference between privacy and using the consumer as the product. Let's face it, Google makes money by selling ads. That's about it. The only reason they make money with that is the ability to monetize what they know about you. What Tim Cook highlighted is that is where the money is coming from so follow the money.

Apple's money comes from their products.
  • Reply 5 of 193
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Notice he never answered the question. He never spoke to the question of accessing thief customers private data to monetize it. Cook didn't say Google left data exposed. He said they are accessing it themselves to make money. Apple has no need to do so because they sell hardware first and far most.
  • Reply 6 of 193
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Ya know... I understand he has a company to run and obviously is not going to say smack about his own home, but Schmidt is just coming across as a totally lying douchebag.  F*****g a$$hole.  Lies right to everyone's face and thinks we all should believe him.

• Reply 7 of 193
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

I don't know what Google's board of directors see in this guy. A patsy perhaps?

• Reply 8 of 193
    rf9rf9 Posts: 70member
    Not harvesting data? Then what do you call it? You track email content, sites visited, photos taken on Android devices (when uploaded), and criss reference that with the location of every android phone user. The you monetize it. I'm not criticizing because I willingly use Google products knowing this is done. Facebook is far worse. Even Apple dies some of this but only for diagnostic and Apple's ad platform.

Whatever it is, it is. Don't F'ing deny it when you blatantly do it.
  • Reply 9 of 193
    Turncoat donkey. 'nuff said.
  • Reply 10 of 193
    Hahahahaha hahahahaha!!! Oh, Schmidt, you're too much, man! You're so funny! Lol
  • Reply 11 of 193
    Google keeps repeating the same lies over and over and eventually people start to believe it. Every single thing you do on google is tracked, compiled, analyzed and sold for profit. Cook is 100% right. Free is not free. I would trust Microsoft with my information before google.
  • Reply 12 of 193

I put this guy up there with Balmer...a walking buffoon!

• Reply 13 of 193
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

From the guy who has a soundproofed apartment and refuses to have a doorman because he's worried about the privacy factor...

• Reply 14 of 193
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    I'll say it again. Everyone knows this guy is full of Schmidt.
  • Reply 15 of 193
    gtr wrote: »

Not to mention he doesn't even use an Android phone, he uses a Blackberry.
  • Reply 16 of 193
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Not to mention he doesn't even use an Android phone, he uses a Blackberry.

I believe he used to use a Blackberry (which is definitely ironic) but now uses a Motorola Razr X.
  • Reply 17 of 193
    That chlamydia-infested Google Play store is pretty hot.
  • Reply 18 of 193
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Apple Insider would rather report on click bait then highlighting how Apple Pay works...hrumph!
  • Reply 19 of 193
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I love how Schmidt says that he's glad Apple is "catching up", and in the next sentence proudly proclaims the next version of Android will be encrypted by default. When you lie so massively, you stop noticing the contradictions and ironies in your statements. 

• Reply 20 of 193
    The fact Google shows me a massage parlor ad when I asked my girlfriend for a massage in an email says it all: they're reading our fucking email for monetary gain. Riddle me that, crater face.