Apple expected to hold iPad & Retina iMac event on Oct. 16

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2014
Apple is reportedly planning to hold an event on Thursday, Oct. 16, to showcase the rest of its fall 2014 product lineup, which is expected to include new iPads with Touch ID fingerprint sensors, as well as a 27-inch iMac with Retina display.

Citing unnamed sources familiar with the company's plans, Re/code reported on Friday that Apple's next special event is expected to take place in less than two weeks. Reporter John Paczkowski said the event is expected to be held at the company's Town Hall Auditorium at its corporate campus in Cupertino, Calif.

The event is reportedly expected to be a "more laid-back affair" than the unveiling of the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch that took place in September.

AppleInsider first reported last month that Apple was planning its next major product unveiling in mid-to-late October. Sources familiar with the company's pre-launch logistics said that the company had set internal project and marketing deadlines of mid-October.
New iPads with Touch ID and a new iMac with Retina display are expected at Apple's Oct. 16 event. Yosemite is also scheduled to launch this fall.
If the date proves accurate, Apple's event would come less than a week before the company is scheduled to report its September quarter earnings, after the markets close on Monday, Oct. 20.

Paczkowski said on Friday that iPads and a new iMac are expected to headline the event. Recent rumors have suggested the company plans to unveil a new 27-inch iMac with a 5K-resolution Retina display, which would mark the first time ever Apple will offer an ultra-high resolution panel on its all-in-one desktop.

As for iPads, it is widely expected that Apple's 2014 lineup refresh will bring add Touch ID fingerprint sensor currently exclusive to the iPhone. It's also highly likely that the new iPads will boast the same A8 processor found in the new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Another recent report suggested the next-generation iPads may also be offered in a gold color, taking after the iPhone 6 and iPhone 5s before them.

Also expected to take a prominent role at the event is OS X Yosemite, Apple's upcoming Mac operating system update. Yosemite was first showcased to developers at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference this summer, and is scheduled to launch in the fall. It's likely that Yosemite will become available for download very soon after Apple's anticipated Oct. 16 presentation.

The company has also revealed that Apple Pay, its NFC-based secure mobile payment service for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, will launch with a forthcoming iOS 8 update in October, giving it a possible appearance at the rumored event.

Less certain is an anticipated MacBook Air redesign with a high-resolution Retina display and an all-new ultra-thin form factor. The existing 11- and 13-inch MacBook Air models without Retina displays were updated in April with modest upgrades and price cuts, while the newly redesigned version was originally claimed to debut this year.

However, recent rumors have suggested the launch of a new MacBook Air with Retina display may be pushed back to 2015. The new model is expected to come in one screen size of 12 inches, and is rumored to feature a fan-less quiet design, click-less trackpad, and fewer inputs and outputs on its shrunken frame.

Apple is also rumored to be working on an update to its Apple TV set-top box, potentially with new input methods and support for downloadable third-party applications. But the latest claims suggest Apple remains held up by talks with cable companies and content owners, suggesting that such negotiations could push the launch of a hardware refresh back to 2015.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 184

A Thursday? Really?

• Reply 2 of 184
    mactmact Posts: 26member
    And, maybe, Yosemite?
  • Reply 3 of 184

Finally!

Roll on, iPads! 

I won't be putting one in my pocket, so at least I don't have to worry about BendyiPadGate.

• Reply 4 of 184
    cashxxcashxx Posts: 114member
    Better be a frickin update to the Mac Mini!
  • Reply 5 of 184
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Look forward to it.  I expect very very little.  Touch ID, A8, Gold iPads, Retina iMac, and Mac Mini.   I don't anticipate a much needed update to Apple TV, so at least my expectations are set.

• Reply 6 of 184
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    No rumors to this effect, but I think it's time they added Touch ID to all Macs as well. That is the feature I am hoping for. We wouldn't use Apple Pay but we could use it to authenticate to the computer, to access keychain, websites, etc.
  • Reply 7 of 184

I want to see the new iMacs.  I think they will be flatter yet.

Just as important as the iPads if not more will be the Watson Analytics applications.  

I want to see some Star Trek like demos. :)

• Reply 8 of 184
    Quote:

Originally Posted by williamh View Post

No rumors to this effect, but I think it's time they added Touch ID to all Macs as well. That is the feature I am hoping for. We wouldn't use Apple Pay but we could use it to authenticate to the computer, to access keychain, websites, etc.

Where would you put the Touch ID?

Macbook Pro/Air - next to the trackpad would make sense.

iMac - mouse? trackpad? keyboard? chin?

Mac mini - mouse? trackpad? keyboard?

• Reply 9 of 184
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A Thursday? Really?

Makes for a nice long weekend for those who put in 96 hour work day to get the presentation ready.  

And with 1-3 weeks pre-announce for stuff like this, seems reasonable.  Heck they could say, "Available... Today online, tomorrow in the store"

But my guess would be a 1-2 week announce (so they can hand out demos to the reviewers for release day fireworks).

Friday is about the only day you don't want  announce anything.

• Reply 10 of 184
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    FOR SALE
    iMac 11,1 (2009)
    2.8 GHz i7
    20 GB RAM
    1 TB

Almost forgot: Steve Jobs personally supervised this iMac order. RIP Steve!
    http://www.cultofmac.com/39727/apple-ceo-calls-imac-buyer-to-apologize-for-lemon/39727/
  • Reply 11 of 184
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    Quote:

I don't think so.  I was under the impression that the TouchID secure enclave was "baked" onto the A7 / A8 SoC.  If that's the case, you won't see Macs with TouchID until they (if they) adopt Apple's custom ARM chips.

• Reply 12 of 184

Just bought a 27" iMac :grumble:

• Reply 13 of 184
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

I love the aTV in the photo, hoping we get an update.

I bought the iphone 6+ yesterday, the store still had inventory at 4 pm because they received a huge shipment.   I reserved it for pick up at 4:30 pm, and when I got there, there was a freaking line to get iphones just like on launch day.  The store was completly pack, good thing they didnt launch new ipads yet.

I love my new phone, but 128g + apple care + case + sales tax = $1400.  ouch.

• Reply 14 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Where would you put the Touch ID?

Macbook Pro/Air - next to the trackpad would make sense.

iMac - mouse? trackpad? keyboard? chin?

Mac mini - mouse? trackpad? keyboard?

The issue with TouchID is the Secure Enclave.    

For any 'desktop' it doesn't make sense (the useful spot is on the kb or the trackpad... but from a security delegation setup that would be a pain.

The simple solution for ApplePay on the desktop is a link from your computer to your phone/ipad.  Continuity.

• Yosemite/Safari hits the website's 'pay page' that asks for credit card.

• smart objects sees this and pops up the 'CC fill in' information

• but into the pop-up, shows a 'click' to buy using Apple Pay on your iPhone/iPad

• you get a notification on your iDevice to pay for something (BlueTooth?)

• 'magic happens here' (phone to safari talk, phone to apple talk, apple to safari talk, everyone agrees the payment is good to go)(.

• Safari is sent a onetime CC number and CVV that your phone generates

• done.

A variation is to add NFC 'base' capabilities to the 2014 macs, and turn your mac into a Point of Sale device.

Note: This can work with Apple TV as well;-)

This uses the secure enclave of the phone, and makes all macs 'apple pay ready' on Yosemite

• Reply 15 of 184
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I love the aTV in the photo, hoping we get an update.

I bought the iphone 6+ yesterday, the store still had inventory at 4 pm because they received a huge shipment.   I reserved it for pick up at 4:30 pm, and when I got there, there was a freaking line to get iphones just like on launch day.  The store was completly pack, good thing they didnt launch new ipads yet.

I love my new phone, but 128g + apple care + case + sales tax = $1400.  ouch.

Better perform better than a MBA!!!!

• Reply 16 of 184
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    If the only update to iPads is Touch ID and A8 then I'll probably sit this one out. Not much of an improvement over the Air. I hope they have some surprises up their sleeve, like better displays (similar to what they use on iPhones), iPad specific software improvements etc. if the updates are minor I think iPad will suffer, especially now with the iPhone 6 in the mix.
  • Reply 17 of 184
    Mac Mini??? Please??? :-D
  • Reply 18 of 184
    Merely a few days
    till my investment in ?Pays
  • Reply 19 of 184
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If the only update to iPads is Touch ID and A8 then I'll probably sit this one out. Not much of an improvement over the Air. I hope they have some surprises up their sleeve, like better displays (similar to what they use on iPhones), iPad specific software improvements etc. if the updates are minor I think iPad will suffer, especially now with the iPhone 6 in the mix.

The iPad mini may suffer, but not so much the iPad Air.

• Reply 19 of 184
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Physically? Not gonna happen. They might add support for TouchID over bluetooth from your iPhone, which is the way it should be. Follows Apple's philosophy of increasing value and usefulness of owning more than one Apple product, and leveraging this.