Apple to live stream Oct. 16 iPad event on Web and Apple TV

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2014
Apple on Friday announced through its website plans to live stream an upcoming special media event to be held on Oct. 16, at which the company is expected to unveil revamped iPad and, possibly, iMac models.

According to Apple's website, the Oct. 16 event will be streamed live through a special webpage usually reserved for hosting webcasts of major product launches, the most recent being the iPhone 6 debut in September.

Apple's live stream begins at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern with coverage piped to Macs, iOS devices and Apple TVs. The company sent out invitations reading "It's been way too long" to press outlets on Wednesday.

At the event, Apple is widely expected to launch next-generation iPad models with Touch ID fingerprint recognition, upgraded A8-series processor and minor aesthetic enhancements. Photos of a supposedly "leaked" iPad Air dummy unit hit the Web earlier this week showing recessed volume control buttons, porthole speaker grilles and a slimmed-down 7-millimeter profile.

Along with the hardware adjustments, recent rumors suggest a new gold color will be added to the current silver and Space Grey options, bringing the iPad in line with Apple's latest iPhone offerings.

Apple is also expected to launch OS X 10.10 Yosemite, the next-generation Mac operating system that supports iOS 8 Continuity features like app handoffs and voice calling through a connected iPhone, alongside a host of other improvements.

Less certain are new iMac and Mac mini models. Apple's all-in-one desktop is rumored to feature refreshed hardware highlighted by a new 5K Retina display for the 27-inch version. As for the Mac mini, rumblings have pointed to a possible update, though reports regarding the headless desktop are few and far between.

AppleInsider will be providing live, comprehensive coverage of the event starting at 10 a.m .Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    Hmmm... will it work this time? Me hopes so... 'cause I can't deal with another Apple-gate right now... unless it's watching reruns of Married With Children... :D
  • Reply 2 of 78
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    “Way too long” could just be sarcastic self mocking because they just had a Keynote recently.

And sorry to read that many had trouble with the stream; over here it worked just fine after about 20 minutes. All without any Chinese voice over. Strangely, in my neighbouring country [@]ThePixelDoc[/@] did experience trouble with the stream, so who knows...sure hope they at least did some higher level of 'IT Lessons Learned' and done something about it.

lol, you mention the guy and there is his post, a mere 36 seconds apart.
  • Reply 3 of 78
    Cue 65 comments about how it better work this time, last one was terrible, Tim Cook should be fired, etc.
  • Reply 4 of 78
    philboogie wrote: »
    “Way too long” could just be sarcastic self mocking because they just had a Keynote recently.

And sorry to read that many had trouble with the stream; over here it worked just fine after about 20 minutes. All without any Chinese voice over. Strangely, in my neighbouring country [@]ThePixelDoc[/@] did experience trouble with the stream, so who knows...sure hope they at least did some higher level of 'IT Lessons Learned' and done something about it.

lol, you mention the guy and there is his post, a mere 36 seconds apart.

If you haven't noticed already... you and I have been in sync up-voting posts here and the like since around 9:00 this morning... :smokey:
  • Reply 5 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Cue 65 comments about how it better work this time, last one was terrible, Tim Cook should be fired, etc.
    I don't think they've live streamed an event from the campus auditorium. So perhaps the keynote won't be as low key as originally thought?
  • Reply 6 of 78
    5K Thunderbolt display

It's been way too long. Just hope there's a 30" display and not only 27".
  • Reply 7 of 78
    If you haven't noticed already... you and I have been in sync up-voting posts here and the like since around 9:00 this morning... :smokey:

lol, yeah, that was funny to see, upping a 2 vote and seeing the number 4 afterwards.
  • Reply 8 of 78
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Ironic considering, of all of the keynotes they've made available, ONE had a problem.

ONE.

It's Bendgate all over again.
  • Reply 9 of 78
    otterfish wrote: »
    5K Thunderbolt display

It's been way too long. Just hope there's a 30" display and not only 27".

The Apple IV Personal Computer.

It's been way too long.
  • Reply 10 of 78
    gtr wrote: »
    Ironic considering, of all of the keynotes they've made available, ONE had a problem.

ONE.

It's Bendgate all over again.

A complete non issue. Why are people expecting this stream to go perfectly, in high res, delivered right to your desktop, when 'half the world population' is watching?
  • Reply 11 of 78

It's been way too long.

Coming soon, #DropGate, because the chips won't be soldered properly. :D
  • Reply 12 of 78

Maybe this is a reference to the length that the keynote will be?

According to rumours, there'll be:

iPad Air 2
    iPad Air Pro
    MacBook Air Retina
    iMac Retina
    Retina Thunderbolt Display
    AppleTV
    Yosemite
    iOS 8.1
    Activation of ApplePay
    EDIT: Mac Mini (Thanks, TheWhiteFalcon!)

...and I'm sure there's others.

They may as well make these keynotes into a television series.
  • Reply 13 of 78
    Maybe this is a reference to the length that the keynote will be? (Way too long!)

According to rumours, there'll be:

iPad Air 2
    iPad Air Pro
    MacBook Air Retina
    iMac Retina
    Retina Thunderbolt Display
    AppleTV
    Yosemite
    iOS 8.1
    Activation of ApplePay

...and I'm sure I've probably forgotten some.

They may as well make these keynotes into a television series.

But..but...MAC MINI! You forgot it! ;)

Also, you have no idea how many people I've talked to who want an iPad Pro and are ready to buy it.

Okay, three (including me). But I've only brought up with two others, so it's a 100% demand rate!
  • Reply 14 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    A complete non issue. Why are people expecting this stream to go perfectly, in high res, delivered right to your desktop, when 'half the world population' is watching?

You have to admit it was pretty embarrassing, especially considering it took at least 20 minutes for it to be fixed. But I suspect this event won't be hyped quite as much so the number of people attempting to watch will be a lot smaller.
  • Reply 15 of 78
    Based on the graphic and possible double entendre, I'm going to guess "too long" has to do with cords and that this has something to do with wireless. Wireless charging perhaps? Hmmm...
  • Reply 16 of 78
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member

It's been way too long.

They will finally release that Mark Twain IIgs+.
  • Reply 17 of 78
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Looking forward to this more than last month's:
    Yosemite
    Apple TV
    iMac

Not looking forward to listening to Tim Cook. Rather painful.
  • Reply 18 of 78
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

I would just love for it to be all Mac related. I guess I'm kind of an old Apple fan, but I love the days when there was 1.5-2hrs of new Mac stuff. I miss those days. I enjoy seeing new iPhones, Apple Watches too, but I really miss an all Mac event. 

Lets hope the stream works better this time too...

• Reply 19 of 78
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Looking forward to this more than last month's:

Yosemite

Apple TV

iMac

Not looking forward to listening to Tim Cook. Rather painful.

Listening to your negative BS is more painful...Tim actually does a pretty good job. He's come a long ways in a very short time. 

• Reply 20 of 78
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    So this legendary Chinese voice over.....does anyone know what was being said? Was it someone hijacking the show, or was it something boring like a translator?