Yves Behar's iPhone-controlled August Smart Lock arrives in Apple Stores

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2014
The August Smart Lock, created by famed designer Yves B?har, is now available at retail through a partnership with Apple, which is selling the HomeKit-connected device at all of its locations across the U.S.

Availability of the August Smart Lock lineup at Apple Stores was announced on Tuesday. The units, which sell for $249.99, are said to be available in Apple's retail locations across the U.S. starting this week.

For now, it appears that the August Smart Lock is exclusive at retail to Apple Stores. The smart home accessory maker said its partnership with Apple is ideal because the company is "committed to building world-class products and providing an excellent consumer experience at their stores."

Orders for the August Smart Lock will also be available through the company's online store at the same price, though it is currently backordered. Pre-sales began in May of 2013 at a discounted rate of $199.

August Smart Lock hardware first began shipping to preorder customers in August, but not all pre-sales have been fulfilled prior to the retail launch. The company said on its official blog on Tuesday that this was a "tough call," but that retail is a difficult market for startup companies.

"The main reason we are going to retail is because many of our early supporters have consistently asked for alternatives to a purely-online purchasing experience," the company said. "They'd like to see the product in person, understand the installation requirements and ensure the look and feel fits with their home."

Designed by B?har, August resembles a large puck that shares similarities with Nest's Learning Thermometer, except without the display and touch controls. The lock can be accessed wirelessly via Bluetooth Low Energy and an iOS app, meaning users can share virtual keys with family and friends from an iPhone.

Digital keys can also be customized for various uses, such as only working at certain times or on certain days, or simply being a one-time use key.

August claims compatibility with a wide variety of deadbolts and promises quiet operation, a feature most products lack. Made of metal, the device runs on four AA batteries, which last a claimed six months, and is able to operate in the event of a power outage. If the unit malfunctions, a rotating collar acts as a physical backup inside, while users can unlock the deadbolt with a regular key from outside.

The hardware is also compatible with Apple's new HomeKit developer tools in iOS 8, which allow Siri to control and monitor smart home accessories.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    I want one
  • Reply 2 of 51

Why isn’t it smaller? It’s huge and ugly. AAAs? Really?

Someone needs to standardize Wipower.

• Reply 3 of 51
    Not sure how that would stand up to the 'lumphammer test'.

I'll stick with Yale for now I think
  • Reply 4 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

I want one

Wait a few days, I predict they'll be on eBay soon.

$249 + tax, and you still have to carry your keys for safety, and your iPhone had better be charged, and the AA batteries inside the lock must be strong enough to turn the cylinder, iOS8.1 will probably break its functionality, on and on...

A catastrophe waiting to happen. Too much risk to look cool.

• Reply 5 of 51

Sadly this only covers doors that have separate bolt-lock and door handle.  Many apartment buildings have the dead-bolt lock and handle in one so I am out of lock.

One of the reasons for the larger size is to allow the unit to operate existing dead-bolt (i.e. maintain existing keys) which is critical in apartment buildings where the building management needs to have access to the unit in case of an emergency.  I am hoping they will eventually support single lock/handle types soon.

• Reply 6 of 51
    Do you have to use the app to open the lock or does it just recognize you like a car door?
  • Reply 7 of 51
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This is a good beginning.  Need to start somewhere.

I'd just use my garage door.  Much easier and safer

1. I use my garage door entry probably 50% of the time

2. I plan on upgrading my opener to a Chamberlain next year with iPhone control 

3. I live in a relatively crime free area where i've left my garage door open overnight and no one stole our bikes (yeah) 

4. I value smart doorlocks and if the reviews are good I'll buy in for the convenience. 

Awaiting the realworld results of this product. 

• Reply 8 of 51
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Seems like a potential fire hazard.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenoz View Post

Wait a few days, I predict they'll be on eBay soon.

$249 + tax, and you still have to carry your keys for safety, and your iPhone had better be charged, and the AA batteries inside the lock must be strong enough to turn the cylinder, iOS8.1 will probably break its functionality, on and on...

A catastrophe waiting to happen. Too much risk to look cool.

Its raining today. And even if it isn't its going to rain soon. If I go out I'll probably slip and fall. And more than likely while I am lying there in pain it will start to rain even harder and a dog will raise its leg on me. 

Too risky to go to the Apple Store just to be cool and check one of these catastrophes out.

• Reply 10 of 51
    I'm with Mehran... All doors that I have have the handle/lock combo and many of my friends have that as well. Hope something else comes out soon in this space...
  • Reply 11 of 51
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mehran View Post

Sadly this only covers doors that have separate bolt-lock and door handle.  Many apartment buildings have the dead-bolt lock and handle in one so I am out of lock.

I see what you did there 8-) (my emphasis added) 

• Reply 12 of 51
    no25no25 Posts: 16member
    Way too expensive. Just because it says Apple on it you don't have to overcharge everybody for it
  • Reply 13 of 51
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,419member
    it's so ridiculous, why not just use a fingerprint scanner? It's faster, more accurate, and more convenient since you don't need iphone or anything for that matter.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    Surprised they didn't partner with Airbnb.

Get the "key" to your rental once your credit card goes through. That'd be cool.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    The exterior looks like a normal deadbolt key slot:
    http://www.august.com
  • Reply 16 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by no25 View Post

Way too expensive. Just because it says Apple on it you don't have to overcharge everybody for it

And yet it doesn't say APPLE on it...

• Reply 17 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

Not sure how that would stand up to the 'lumphammer test'.

I'll stick with Yale for now I think

The exterior section is the usual sloped assembly, probably no more nor less robust than others. It's a convenience item not ultra-high security.

• Reply 18 of 51
    creepcreep Posts: 80member

I've read a couple of reviews of this (overwhelmingly positive), but of the reviews I've read, I didn't see a mention of wifi connectivity, which means everything happens via BT.  What would the benefit of HomeKit integration mean if this can't connect to any HA hub?  

• Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Its raining today. And even if it isn't its going to rain soon. If I go out I'll probably slip and fall. And more than likely while I am lying there in pain it will start to rain even harder and a dog will raise its leg on me. 

Too risky to go to the Apple Store just to be cool and check one of these catastrophes out.

Being locked out of your apartment because your batteries are weak is not cool. In fact, it would probably cause your neighbors to snicker as they unlock their door with a key.

I'm sure in its packaging, and placement in an Apple Store, this product would look cool. But when you arrive home without your keys, six months down the road... ?

(BTW, your dog may be trying to tell you something.)

• Reply 20 of 51
    no25no25 Posts: 16member
    jfc1138 wrote: »

And yet it doesn't say APPLE on it...
    Who makes the iPhone?