CBS All Access offers on-demand & live streaming content for $5.99 per month

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2014
CBS, the largest broadcast network in the U.S., announced on Thursday that it has joined in the "over-the-top" trend by offering a subscription service that will give viewers access to current and legacy content, as well as live streaming of local CBS stations in 14 major markets.

The new service, dubbed CBS All Access, costs $5.99 per month, and the network is currently offering a one-week free trial. The subscription will net viewers full seasons of current primetime shows, leading daytime and late-night CBS programming, and thousands of episodes from the network's library of classics.

CBS All Access can be viewed from the official CBS for iOS application, which was updated on Thursday to add support. Subscribers gain access to new episodes on-demand the day after they air, as well as access to CBS's library of over 6,500 episodes.

Ad-free viewing is also available for classic TV shows and fan favorites, including "Star Trek," "I Love Lucy," "CSI: Miami," "Cheers," "MacGyver," "Twin Peaks," and more. The service will also include exclusive additional content for special events including The Grammy Awards and the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show.

CBS hasn't yet worked out a deal with affiliates to rebroadcast live content, but the network will offer live streaming in markets where it owns and operates the over-the-air station, and has promised that more markets are on the way.

CBS & HBO streaming subscription announcements made just prior to an Apple event. Coincidence or not? We'll find out in only a few hours.

— Tip AppleInsider (@TipAppleInsider)

Users will be restricted from watching out-of-market stations through geo-targeting. The currently supported markets are:
  • New York City
  • Los Angeles
  • Chicago
  • Philadelphia
  • Dallas
  • San Francisco
  • Boston
  • Detroit
  • Minneapolis
  • Miami
  • Denver
  • Sacramento
  • Pittsburgh
  • Baltimore
No mention was made Thursday of official support for the Apple TV, though CBS Interactive CEO Jim Lanzone did say that "additional connected devices" will gain support in the coming months. In addition, he said that the network plans to bring CBS All Access to "all major platforms."

"CBS All Access is another key step in the company's long-standing strategy of monetizing our local and national content in the ways that viewers want it," said Leslie Moonves, president and CEO of CBS Corporation. "This new subscription service will deliver the most of CBS to our biggest fans while being additive to the overall ecosystem. Across the board, we continue to capitalize on technological advances that help consumers engage with our world-class programming, and we look forward to serving our viewers in this new and exciting way."

CBS's announcement comes a day after popular subscription network HBO revealed it plans to offer a standalone over-the-top subscription service in the U.S. next year. Like CBS All Access, it would allow users to watch content from the network without the need to have a cable subscription or even a television set.

But while HBO has always been a cable-only network, CBS is a broadcast network, meaning anyone in the U.S. with an antenna can pick up the station's live signal for free. Subscribers to CBS All Access, however, will be able to stream on their Mac, iOS or other device with no need for a television set or antenna.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 101
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

First HBO, now CBS. The tsunami is approaching the cable/satellite industry. If you think the iPod disrupted the music industry just wait till you see what this does to the cable/satellite industry.

• Reply 2 of 101
    With this and HBO's announcement, I'd say the odds of an AppleTV announcement have skyrocketed from 10% to 70% now. Can't wait to see Apple kill the cable companies. Bye bye evil monopoly.
  • Reply 3 of 101
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

First HBO, now CBS. The tsunami is approaching the cable/satellite industry. If you think the iPod disrupted the music industry just wait till you see what this does to the cable/satellite industry.

What does what? What is disrupting the cable/satellite industry?

• Reply 4 of 101
    Quote:

I do not see this as good news, if anything once the dust settles most of us will be paying more than what we currently are paying.  Since most of the cable providers are also our broadband providers and in most cases also have a monopoly, they will just jack up the price of broadband to make up the difference.  This tells me we can say goodbye to net neutrality.  The cable/broadband providers will soon adopt the wireless model of tiered plan which will greatly slowdown all this streaming adoption, or at very least make it a very expensive venture for those of us who wishes to go that route.  What we are currently witnessing is that every network wants to charge for access, if you add all those things up, our bill will just as expensive as our current cable bill or more.  Our dream/hope of lowering our cable bills just go squashed. 

• Reply 5 of 101
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

They are being bypassed by the very content providers they depend upon for revenue. As more and more content providers make their content available outside of the cable/satellite industry more and more subscriber will not see the need to pay for 200 channels when they get the channels they do want al carte. 

• Reply 6 of 101

The only question I want answered is will the Big Bang Theory current season and past season shows be available?

• Reply 7 of 101
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    interdyne wrote: »
    With this and HBO's announcement, I'd say the odds of an AppleTV announcement have skyrocketed from 10% to 70% now. Can't wait to see Apple kill the cable companies. Bye bye evil monopoly.

This is not Apple's doing.
  • Reply 8 of 101
    Not sure why anyone would pay anything for this unless they pull everything from Netflix which I already pay for.
  • Reply 9 of 101
    giffen wrote: »
    The only question I want answered is will the Big Bang Theory current season and past season shows be available?

I'd say yes

http://www.cbs.com/all-access/upsell/
  • Reply 10 of 101
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    As was pointed out by poster Dubston in a previous thread, Apple's ATV page changed and now says "starting at $99" instead of just "$99". Looks like this change happened when the page was updated with Apple's new website design.

[IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/2ilzits.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/ddkknn.jpg[/IMG]
  • Reply 11 of 101
    samiam wrote: »
    Not sure why anyone would pay anything for this unless they pull everything from Netflix which I already pay for.

I think there's much more available here than what's currently on Netflix.
  • Reply 12 of 101
    rogifan wrote: »
    As was pointed out by poster Dubston in a previous thread, Apple's ATV page changed and now says "starting at $99" instead of just "$99". Looks like this change happened when the page was updated with Apple's new website design.

2ilzits.jpg

ddkknn.jpg

Paraphrasing [@]sog35[/@] "this is proof of a new ATV that even a blind man can hear" :lol:
  • Reply 13 of 101
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Nice find....will make for an interesting event today.

• Reply 14 of 101
    toukale wrote: »
    I do not see this as good news, if anything once the dust settles most of us will be paying more than what we currently are paying.  Since most of the cable providers are also our broadband providers and in most cases also have a monopoly, they will just jack up the price of broadband to make up the difference.  This tells me we can say goodbye to net neutrality.  The cable/broadband providers will soon adopt the wireless model of tiered plan which will greatly slowdown all this streaming adoption, or at very least make it a very expensive venture for those of us who wishes to go that route.  What we are currently witnessing is that every network wants to charge for access, if you add all those things up, our bill will just as expensive as our current cable bill or more.  Our dream/hope of lowering our cable bills just go squashed. 

If you're REALLY concerned about your monthly costs, cancel your cable subscription. It's possible to live without hundreds of channels of garbage you're not interested in watching anyway.
  • Reply 15 of 101
    toukale wrote: »
    I do not see this as good news, if anything once the dust settles most of us will be paying more than what we currently are paying.  Since most of the cable providers are also our broadband providers and in most cases also have a monopoly, they will just jack up the price of broadband to make up the difference.  

First off. No one is saying this will be the only way to access. Existing cable hasn't announced a shutdown.

As for pricing, it will only go up if you cut cable. Most companies like TWC bundle services. So say cable is $50 a month and internet is $50 a month. They offer you both for $80. If you cut cable you lose the discount. Keep it and you keep that price and with most major players access to this iOS etc app anyway
  • Reply 16 of 101

Let's revisit your opinion after Apple's announcement.

• Reply 17 of 101
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

They are being bypassed by the very content providers they depend upon for revenue. As more and more content providers make their content available outside of the cable/satellite industry more and more subscriber will not see the need to pay for 200 channels when they get the channels they do want al carte. 

It is somewhat worse than that too. The cable and satellite companies get the pricing they do because of the number of subscribers they bring to the table. Once people start cutting the cord, they will loose direct revenue as you mention, but they will also loose the strong bargaining position with the content providers. So their rates will likely increase which will make their packages even more expensive. Doh!

• Reply 18 of 101
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    This is not Apple's doing.

Yes and no. Boxes like the ATV, Roku etc have likely given the nets the numbers to see that this kind of thing would be feasible. So in that sense yes Apple did it. But a no in the sense that it was also a matter of the contracts ending so now the opportunity is there
  • Reply 19 of 101
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Paraphrasing [@]sog35[/@] "this is proof of a new ATV that even a blind man can hear" :lol:

Kind of weird though that it's been like that for a couple of weeks and nobody has caught it yet. I wonder if it's legit or if whoever updated the website design jumped the gun?
  • Reply 20 of 101

Hmm... New premium channels and a more cable-like interface, perhaps? DVR functionality would go a long way...but then I wish it had a built-in over-the-air digital tuner also so I could hook it up to my iPad and watch over-the-air live TV that way.