How to set up Apple Pay on an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus running iOS 8.1, and where you can use it right now

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
With Monday's launch of iOS 8.1, users can now begin adding their compatible credit cards to Passbook and start using their iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus to pay at participating retail outlets. AppleInsider offers you a look at how to set up Apple Pay and where you can head out to use it.

Adding a card to Passbook for Apple Pay is simple: Press the plus button in the upper right corner of the app and choose to add a credit or debit card.

Tap the camera icon in the entry space and Passbook will scan what it can, including name, card number, and expiration date. If it doesn't pick up any of those, users must manually enter them. And manual entry of the card's security code is always required.

In our tests, nonconventional card designs, such as a Capital One Card which displays the numbers smaller and printed -- not raised --?in the bottom lefthand corner, needed manual entry.

After the card's information has been entered, users must accept the terms of service from their credit card.

Some providers may also require a verification step --?in our tests, Capital One required us to verify either via its official iOS application, or with an automated phone call. We didn't have the Capital One Wallet app installed, so Passbook automatically took us to the listing on the App Store.

Once your cards are entered and verified, they will be shown stacked virtually at the top of the Passbook app. Other items in the digital wallet, such as plane or event tickets and rewards cards, are shown at the bottom.

Credit cards in Passbook can be adjusted to display to your liking: Simply tap and drag a card to move it forward or backward in the view.

It's important to remember that Monday is just the beginning for Apple Pay. For example, store-branded credit cards for companies like Macy's or Amazon.com are not yet compatible.

In addition, while Apple Pay is currently at 220,000 stores that already accept contactless payments, there's a long way to go until NFC-based e-wallet transactions are the norm.

As of Monday, Apple advertises that its own retail stores are accepting Apple Pay. The following partners are also listed:
  • Aeropostale
  • Babies R Us
  • BJ's
  • Bloomingdale's
  • Champs Sports
  • Chevron
  • Duane Reade
  • ExtraMile
  • Foot Locker
  • FootAction
  • House of Hoops
  • Kids Foot Locker
  • Lady Foot Locker
  • Macy's
  • McDonald's
  • Nike
  • Office Depot
  • Panera Bread
  • Petco
  • RadioShack
  • Run by Foot Locker
  • Six:02
  • Sports Authority
  • Subway
  • Texaco
  • Toys R Us
  • Unleashed
  • Walgreens
  • Wegmans
  • Whole Foods
Finally, Apple Pay support is said to be coming later this year from the following retailers and locations:
  • Anthropologie
  • Disney Store
  • Free People
  • Petsmart
  • Sephora
  • Staples
  • Urban Outfitters
  • Walt Disney World

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48

Who wants to bet over 10,000 stores by the end of 2015?

• Reply 2 of 48

I'll take the over.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I will, since it's going to launch in 220,000 stores!

The one disappointment I have with Apple Pay (although this may become possible), is that Apple didn't build in the NFC technology into the new iPads.  Given increasing numbers of small merchants seem to be using iPads with Square as their POS device, it would seem like Apple has missed a trick by not exploiting that market.

Surely they could have made an iPad have the tech needed to Apple Pay on the merchants side?

• Reply 4 of 48
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Good luck in that nobody gets hacked.
  • Reply 5 of 48

is there a list of banks that support it?

PNC said they were going to, but their lame website is still saying they are 'going' to with a 'check back here for updates' like you can't even have an email sent when they can.

• Reply 6 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

is there a list of banks that support it?

PNC said they were going to, but their lame website is still saying they are 'going' to with a 'check back here for updates' like you can't even have an email sent when they can.

never mind - the current list is in "learn more' when you try to enter a credit card ...

• Reply 7 of 48
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    I'm not on the hook for it if they do, and I've only registered my credit card, which gives me time to deal with any hacks before it impacts my actual bank balance.
  • Reply 8 of 48

I'll take that bet considering they're already at 220,000

• Reply 9 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Every McDonald's has the readers (for several years) and there's 14k in the US. Walgreens has them too, and they're 8.3k, so we're already at 22,000.

• Reply 10 of 48
    Would be nice if Discover Card entered the Apple Pay arena.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Every McDonald's has the readers (for several years) and there's 14k in the US. Walgreens has them too, and they're 8.3k, so we're already at 22,000.

Yeah, you know what I mean.

• Reply 12 of 48
    Works just as you said....except that even though Chevron is listed ...it would not activate my Chevron Card. I read where it will currently only work in the store...not for Fuel purposes...yet...Can't wait until it does....Hopefully AAA will soon join then I think the only ID you'll need will be your Drivers License...
  • Reply 13 of 48
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    Just paid at McDonalds

Receipt shows a bogus last four digits of my credit card, an "Authorization Code", plus a "SEQ#". The transaction is still in the "pending authorizations" section with my bank, so I can't see how the transactional data with my bank lines up with anything from the sales slip. Nothing I can see about the data indicates it was an Apple Pay transaction.

But most of you already know this...
  • Reply 14 of 48
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

This specimen never fails providing the most brain-dead, idiotic posts of every single thread. It's like his fucking troll mission.

Just make sure you never try to make sense of it (Hacked? How? By what means? What info would the hacker get?) otherwise you'll quickly get a massive headache. 

• Reply 15 of 48

Just used it buying groceries, just pulled my phone out next to the little terminal, opened Passbook with my finger on TouchID, then instantly my phone vibe and it was done. Completed with one hand.

Much easier then pulling out my credit card, tapping a bunch of buttons, swiping and returning the card to my wallet, and then my pocket.

Seconds saved.

• Reply 16 of 48
    jpmdjpmd Posts: 4member
    Quote:

Dumb ass... I think you just like seeing your "screen name" on your screen...

• Reply 17 of 48
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member

Who's going to get Hacked?   This Credit Card Data is stored on the iPhone encrypted into the CPU like TouchID is.  When you buy something, you send out a one time use Token.  Even if this token somehow got hacked it's worthless!!!  That's the whole point.  If a Store got hacked again with people credit card numbers, it wouldn't effect you as you're not giving out a credit card number.

Apple also doesn't know how much you're spending, who who your buying from, or what you're buying, let along any other info.   Nothing is going threw Apples iTunes service.  

In fact the banks trusts the security so much that they gave Apple a much lower Transaction Fee compared to everyone else!!!  You can't get any better other then CASH!!!

• Reply 18 of 48

I'm sure at some point Discover will be pretty much forced to or left in the dust IF Apple Pay takes off!!!

• Reply 19 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iLoveStuff View Post

Just used it buying groceries, just pulled my phone out next to the little terminal, opened Passbook with my finger on TouchID, then instantly my phone vibe and it was done. Completed with one hand.

Much easier then pulling out my credit card, tapping a bunch of buttons, swiping and returning the card to my wallet, and then my pocket.

Seconds saved.

I don't think you even need to do that.  I thought all you had to do was hold the phone over the terminal and touch the TouchID button and that was it.  That the transaction would default to your Default Credit Card.  No need to even go into Passbook.

• Reply 20 of 48
    Quote:

what's going to get hacked?  What are thieves going to get?  A bunch of one time use tokenized numbers that are useless once they have been used?  The thief also has to have your fingerprint. Your card numbers are not stored on your phone.  If your phone gets stolen you can immediately suspend payments from that device.The retailer gets no info from you at all.  Just the one time use tokenized number.  They don't get a card number, security code, signature or any other info.  I would be more worried that people would get held up with a gun and forced to use there apple pay. But with where the terminals are,  most likely that is not going to happen in a public place.