MasterCard pushes Apple Pay with new 'Priceless Surprises' TV ads

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
The first television commercials spotlighting Apple Pay did not come from Apple itself, but from launch partner MasterCard, which is running baseball-themed ads hyping the launch of the new iPhone 6-based tap-to-pay system.

During the first game of the Major League Baseball World Series on Tuesday, MasterCard ran a pair of commercials focusing on its integration with the newly launched Apple Pay service. MasterCard is using Apple Pay to help push its its ongoing "Priceless Surprises" promotion, which makes customers eligible to win a variety of prizes every time they use their MasterCard.

In the commercial, MasterCard notes that the launch of Apple Pay enables "more ways" for its cardholders to enter the contest, which runs through the end of the year. Given that the Apple Pay-focused ads aired during the World Series, MasterCard spotlighted baseball-themed prizes, including fans winning surprise meetings with Hall of Famers Tommy Lasorda and George Brett, and recently retired great Mariano Rivera.

One of the commercials notes that iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus owners can even use Apple Pay to make purchases while at a World Series game. The respective stadiums of both participating teams -- the Kansas City Royals and San Francisco Giants -- are both accepting concession item purchases with Apple Pay.

One of the prizes for the ongoing contest offers a trip for two to a 2014 or 2015 MLB World Series game. Other non-baseball prizes include a trip to the 57th Annual Grammy Awards next February, a trip to the 2015 Food Network South Beach Wine & Food Festival in Miami, and a trip to the Arnold Palmer Invitational in Orlando.

Apple Pay launched on Monday with the release of iOS 8.1. For now, the tap-to-pay retail functionality is exclusive to the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, though support will also be included with the Apple Watch, set to launch in early 2015.

Along with MasterCard, credit card providers Visa and American Express are also Apple Pay launch partners. Participating banks include American Express, Bank of America, Capital One, Chase, Citi, and Wells Fargo, with support coming later this year from Barclaycard, Navy Federal Credit Union, PNC, USAA, and U.S. Bank.

MLB ballparks are joined by 220,000 stores across the U.S. that currently support iPhone 6-based payments. More retailers, as well as international availability, are said to be forthcoming.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Of course a credit card company [I]would [/I] love this.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Apple Pay will probably be more successful in the next few months going into the holiday season than Google Wallet has been since it first was introduced, which was in 2011.

• Reply 3 of 51
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    The first television commercials spotlighting Apple Pay did not come from Apple itself, but from launch partner MasterCard, which is running baseball-themed ads hyping the launch of the new iPhone 6-based tap-to-pay system.

During the first game of the Major League Baseball World Series on Tuesday, MasterCard ran a pair of commercials focusing on its integration with the newly launched Apple Pay service. MasterCard is using Apple Pay to help push its its ongoing "Priceless Surprises" promotion, which makes customers eligible to win a variety of prizes every time they use their MasterCard.

In the commercial, MasterCard notes that the launch of Apple Pay enables "more ways" for its cardholders to enter the contest, which runs through the end of the year. Given that the Apple Pay-focused ads aired during the World Series, MasterCard spotlighted baseball-themed prizes, including fans winning surprise meetings with Hall of Famers Tommy Lasorda and George Brett, and recently retired great Mariano Rivera.

The retailers and card providers never did really care what your CC number was. What they've really wanted is highly-granular customer data like where you were, for how long, where you went after that, and what you looked at all combined with pass-thru rates for pop-up ads and offers to rate their effectiveness. Between Apple Pay (and probably Google Wallet too) and in-store beacons they now have access to very personal customer data they've not easily been able to track until now on a wide level. Following you on-line is old school.

Dangling carrots like free gifts and rewards by just using mobile payments to track you from the time you entered the store all the way to check-out is your welcome to the new shopping world.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    Makes me want to get a MasterCard for a chance a winning something. I'll probably stick with getting cash back on my other cards though.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Of course a credit card company would love this.

And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting article stating why ?Pay will fail and how it was nothing special. :no:
  • Reply 6 of 51
    kozchris wrote: »
    Makes me want to get a MasterCard for a chance a winning something. I'll probably stick with getting cash back on my other cards though.

Buy a lottery ticket. You'll have better odds of winning.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Apple Pay will probably be more successful in the next few months going into the holiday season than Google Wallet has been since it first was introduced, which was in 2011.

Considering the Google's own analytics and what Apple will presumably sell by the end of the year I think it's possible to have more iPhones with NFC working than Android-based devices. This will probably work out to be like app and data usage per device when compared to all Android-based devices.

I'm curious how the other OEMs and Google will proceed. My guess is Google will get the same setup as Apple with the banks, which means Google will no longer store your card data on their servers. Anything else is just folly.
  • Reply 8 of 51

Since it is only the card issuing banks* that are paying a fee to Apple, I won't be surprised to see Master and Visa advertising hard.  All Master and Visa want is for consumers to charge to their respective cards.  With ApplePay and the corporates and retailers knowing Apple users are the more affluent and educated people, this is a golden opportunity for Master/Visa to increase revenue.

*Although I suspect banks may pass some cost to Master/Visa but I haven't read about any such arrangement.

• Reply 9 of 51
    solipsismx wrote: »
    And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting article stating why ?Pay will fail and how it was nothing special. :no:

I have never stated any such thing. Prove what you say. You mind is failing. Imagining things. Sad.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    kozchris wrote: »

I have a Barclays card which earns me free iTunes gift cards for all me Apple products. :p
    In fact I just received a $25 one last week. Every time I buy an Apple product I earn double the points. I still have an apple gift card for $150 fr last year's Blak Friday and am trying to decide what to buy? I was hoping for a new ATV then thought iPad Air but now leaning towards retina iMac? However I'd need to sell my 21.5" souped up one first.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I agree.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Considering the Google's own analytics and what Apple will presumably sell by the end of the year I think it's possible to have more iPhones with NFC working than Android-based devices. This will probably work out to be like app and data usage per device when compared to all Android-based devices.

I'm curious how the other OEMs and Google will proceed. My guess is Google will get the same setup as Apple with the banks, which means Google will no longer store your card data on their servers. Anything else is just folly.

Google is probably not in a hurry to do anything yet.  2 reasons:  (1) A large maturity of Android users are treating their phones as dumb phones, they don't surf or use their phones for anything else.  (2) For those who are using the phone for google pay, judging from the few who have posted here, privacy and their personal data is not something they are concerned with. 

• Reply 13 of 51
    wisely wrote: »
    Google is probably not in a hurry to do anything yet.  2 reasons:  (1) A large maturity of Android users are treating their phones as dumb phones, they don't surf or use their phones for anything else.  (2) For those who are using the phone for google pay, judging from the few who have posted here, privacy and their personal data is not something they are concerned with. 

I think it will go differently. Despite what some Android users say about not caring about security, most people do, and in light of all the breaches at major corporations I think Google will see that they need to include this ASAP or they will risk losing even more customers to Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 51

Is it me or does that look like an iPhone 4 or 5 that can't use Apple Pay?

I have the 6 and used it at Walgreens yesterday justifier the fun of it. So easy to spend!

• Reply 15 of 51
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

I have never stated any such thing. Prove what you say. You mind is failing. Imagining things. Sad.

Shut up and sit in the corner while Soli pulls up the relevant posts.

• Reply 16 of 51

I'd be sitting in that corner for eternity as pazuzu's never said such a thing.
    Waiting.....tick tock.......tick tock......tick tock.........:smokey:
  • Reply 17 of 51

Someone else will have to take over. I'm jumping on a plane and I won't have WiFi.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Someone else will have to take over. I'm jumping on a plane and I won't have WiFi.

Lame.
    And disproven once again. The emperor has no clothes.
    But good to know we won't have you on here for your flight duration at least. Hopefully you're headed to China. Have a safe trip. :D
  • Reply 19 of 51
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Make sure you time that jump just right.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Make sure you time that jump just right.

Not far from the truth. It's a Cessna so you do need to make a slight jump up and in (and out). Flying lesson.