How to change your default Apple Pay credit card, or remove cards remotely via iCloud

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
Apple Pay is simple to set up and start using, but those who dig a little deeper can customize and take control of the mobile payments system, such as choosing the default card that appears when a transaction is initiated, or remotely removing cards from a missing iPhone via iCloud.

Users with compatible Apple Pay devices can launch the iOS Settings application and choose "Passbook & Apple Pay." From here, users can view the cards they have scanned into Passbook, and this is even an alternative place where new cards can be entered.

Below, Apple offers a series of settings for "transaction defaults," including the default card. When setting up Apple Pay, the first card scanned in is selected as the default card, but users can change this after the fact by diving into the settings and choosing an alternate card.

All cards are available when Apple Pay is activated, but to expedite the process, Apple automatically selects the default card. To select an alternative card when paying at a kiosk, simply tap the stack of cards at the bottom of the screen to choose from other options.

Choosing an alternate card for a single purchase will not change the default card --?this still requires digging into the settings.

Users can also change their default billing address, shipping address, email and phone, for online app-based purchases with Apple Pay. This information can all be automatically entered after a user authorizes with their secure fingerprint via Touch ID.

Even if your iPhone only has one phone number, name, and email address associated with you, you still must open each individual setting and choose a default.

Of course, even with Touch ID security and the fact that credit cards are listed by only their last four digits, adding all of this is a great deal of personal information to have stored in Passbook. Because of this, Apple has also added a new security feature specific to iCloud.

After logging into icloud.com, users can click the Settings icon and see a list of their active devices. Choosing the Apple Pay device in question allows users to quickly view all of the cards associated with Apple Pay, along with a quick "Remove All..." link.

Removing all cards will inform the user's respective banks to suspend Apple Pay activity even if the device is not connected to data or is completely powered off , This added security measure can give users a little extra peace of mind in the event that their iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus or otherwise is lost or stolen.

For a less extreme approach, users can also place their device in "Lost Mode" using Find My iPhone, which suspends Apple Pay from being used.

For more on Apple Pay, see AppleInsider's guide on how to set up and use the system, lists of merchants supporting the payment system both at retail and via iOS apps, and our first-look video on how it works.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    This is really good to know. This from someone whose wife once won a free drink on a flight for having the most credit cards .... I was so embarrassed. :\
  • Reply 2 of 17
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    I have been waiting a decade for tech for credit cards to improve and be more secure. I hope they start requiring touch ID or similar authentication to actually apply for a credit card as well. This will prevent criminals from making a card with your name and SS.

I plan on boycotting any major retailers (ie wal-mart) if they are not going to implement this. This Best Buy here locally (town of 200,000 people).

If Local retailers dont get on board, they lose my business to online retails who will. I like to support the local economy but these national retailers continue to not care about customer's security. Target, home depot, and other major breaches tell me that NONE of these can be trusted.

As a side note, Apple users setup your 2 factor authentication for your icloud accounts along with app-specific passwords.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    blazar wrote: »
    I have been waiting a decade for tech for credit cards to improve and be more secure. I hope they start requiring touch ID or similar authentication to actually apply for a credit card as well. This will prevent criminals from making a card with your name and SS.

I plan on boycotting any major retailers (ie wal-mart) if they are not going to implement this. This Best Buy here locally (town of 200,000 people).

If Local retailers dont get on board, they lose my business to online retails who will. I like to support the local economy but these national retailers continue to not care about customer's security. Target, home depot, and other major breaches tell me that NONE of these can be trusted.

As a side note, Apple users setup your 2 factor authentication for your icloud accounts along with app-specific passwords.

I suspect a boycot will occur naturally so to speak, people will take to this like ducks to water and go where the water is so to speak ... the dry areas will get dryer ... I think I am getting too carried away with my metaphors this morning ... :\ I need more coffee!
  • Reply 4 of 17
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Still waiting for Chase and Amazon to sort out their VISA card. I love those reward points.. They cover movie and TV watching on Amazon Prime for me. But, until they get on board, my purchases with ApplePay go through Citi.
  • Reply 5 of 17

Just for fun, I tried it out at a local store yesterday -- one that is not signed on to ApplePay -- since they had a terminal with the NFC icon. Guess what? I held the phone over the icon with my thumb on TouchID, it buzzed, and my Amex card showed up on the screen. Hit 'done' (or something similar, don't recall), and the transaction went through. Took all of three seconds...

Of course, since it's not an ApplePay-enabled terminal, I still had to sign to complete the transaction, but it was still quite impressive to learn that it likely works on all NFC terminals. This is huge for me, since I would simply love to jettison all but one credit card in my (fat) wallet!

I am very impressed.

• Reply 6 of 17
    Just for fun, I tried it out at a local store yesterday -- one that is not signed on to ApplePay -- since they had a terminal with the NFC icon. Guess what? I held the phone over the icon with my thumb on TouchID, it buzzed, and my Amex card showed up on the screen. Hit 'done' (or something similar, don't recall), and the transaction went through. Took all of three seconds...

Of course, since it's not an ApplePay-enabled terminal, I still had to sign to complete the transaction, but it was still quite impressive to learn that it likely works on all NFC terminals. This is huge for me, since I would simply love to jettison all but one credit card in my (fat) wallet!

I am very impressed.

And it sounded faster than normal despite not being the full system!
  • Reply 7 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

When TouchID was first released Andy Ihnatko made a very salient comment. He said that TouchID had to work perfectly and all the time to be accepted. Otherwise people would just turn it off and never use it again. The same goes for ?Pay. Apple’s discussion forums are rife with people who can’t get it to work. They either are having trouble getting cards verified or are running into issues at retailers who don’t get it. I think ?Pay is running into the same obstacles that have kept Google Wallet from becoming ubiquitous. In my own case I have so far only been able to activate my Chase Visa card for use. Branded cards don’t work, store cards don’t work. The list of retailers is short at this point. To me it’s just an interesting toy right now and if things don’t improve dramatically over the next few months I’ll probably just turn it off and forget about it.

• Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

When TouchID was first released Andy Ihnatko made a very salient comment. He said that TouchID had to work perfectly and all the time to be accepted. Otherwise people would just turn it off and never use it again. The same goes for ?Pay. Apple’s discussion forums are rife with people who can’t get it to work. They either are having trouble getting cards verified or are running into issues at retailers who don’t get it. I think ?Pay is running into the same obstacles that have kept Google Wallet from becoming ubiquitous. In my own case I have so far only been able to activate my Chase Visa card for use. Branded cards don’t work, store cards don’t work. The list of retailers is short at this point. To me it’s just an interesting toy right now and if things don’t improve dramatically over the next few months I’ll probably just turn it off and forget about it.

Some of it may have to do with the credit card company requiring you to input a one-time activation code (Chase did it with my Visa cards). Some of the people complaining may not have done that. Also, we're talking about the first couple of days of implementation here.

As to 'branded' cards, I've tried three so far, and they all were input seamlessly: Delta AMEX, Hilton AMEX, and British Airways Chase. (I plan to try Marriott Chase and SWA Chase later today). I do not bother to carry any store cards with me at any time, ever (since they can look me up if/when I am in their stores; if I am not in their records and if the savings are sufficiently large, I can always do a sign-in for one on the spot).

ApplePay will certainly not replace a wallet, that's for sure. But it'll reduce the number of cards one has to carry. Most importantly, it is far more secure. Those are two factors that will encourage adoption, at least among higher-end consumers who might worry more about financial data breaches.

Moreover, it's kinda cool...

• Reply 9 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Some of it may have to do with the credit card company requiring you to input a one-time activation code (Chase did it with my Visa cards). Some of the people complaining may not have done that. Also, we're talking about the first couple of days of implementation here.

As to 'branded' cards, I've tried three so far, and they all were input seamlessly: Delta AMEX, Hilton AMEX, and British Airways Chase. (I plan to try Marriott Chase and SWA Chase later today). I do not bother to carry any store cards with me at any time, ever (since they can look me up if/when I am in their stores; if I am not in their records and if the savings are sufficiently large, I can always do a sign-in for one on the spot).

ApplePay will certainly not replace a wallet, that's for sure. But it'll reduce the number of cards one has to carry. Most importantly, it is far more secure. Those are two factors that will encourage adoption, at least among higher-end consumers who might worry more about financial data breaches.

Moreover, it's kinda cool...

I have a branded GM Mastercard and a branded Visa Debit card (UMB Bank). Neither will verify. Instead I get a message saying the card is not accepted at this time. I emailed my bank and, much to my surprise, received a response that stated they were still ‘evaluating’ the product and should release more information soon. I take that as a positive sign. Like I said I’m willing to wait for things to kick in, not forever.

• Reply 10 of 17
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member

After reading the article I went to settings to check it out. To my surprise my BoA debit card had all the wrong billing information in it. Two different versions of my office address not my actual billing address. I selected add address to put in my home address. Once saved I was shocked to find some other version of my home address with typos and bad capitalization, not the values I had just entered. I tried to figure out how to edit it but there was not an immediately apparent way to do that nor was I able to delete the two wrong addresses. So I deleted the card. Moments later I got an email from BoA informing me that the card was deleted from ?Pay. 

I still don't know why it was so screwed up in the first place.

• Reply 11 of 17
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

This is really good to know. This from someone whose wife once won a free drink on a flight for having the most credit cards .... I was so embarrassed. image

Have you rectified the situation since then? What I mean is: have you persuaded your wife to get rid of most of those cards?!

Seriously, most people only need 2 cards, one for normal use and one for backup in case something is wrong with the main card/account.  Personally, I only have one (rarely used) card, but for most people 2 is plenty -- unless you're living at the brink of poverty and you really need the extra credit line to squeak by each month, but I really don't have the impression that's you.

Probably the only real benefit she's seen over the years to having so many cards is that drink (!), and the downside is that she (and you) are at higher risk of data loss and identity theft.  Look at how many data breaches there are these days.  Multiply your own personal risk by the number of cards you/she have and the number of times you use them each week -- especially for stupid stuff like buying a $3 coffee.

• Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eideard View Post

Still waiting for Chase and Amazon to sort out their VISA card. I love those reward points.. 

This is just a sad statement about our society at large.  Reward points, airline miles attached to credit card usage, "loyalty" cards (tracking cards)...  They're all just bullshit to trick people into giving away all their purchasing habits to companies that can (and do) basically use that data and sell that data in any way that benefits them.  Grocery stores are notorious for selling their customer data to the big data brokers, for example.  This is not "okay"!

You might say "Hey I'm getting a real benefit out of this!", but the reality is that you're only getting a benefit because so many other people followed you down the road of giving away all your purchasing habits.  If no one partook in these stupid games, they'd still give actual discounts and coupons and sales.  Instead, now people who don't want to play these games are stuck paying higher prices than before.  No one really, truly benefits from these games except the data brokers who pull all the data together and sell it to marketers.

• Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I don't see why you (or Andy or anyone) would expect it to work perfectly right out of the gate.  It's a new system, and bugs will need to be shaken out.  Yeah, that will likely take a few months.

The thing is, if it does indeed reduce even a small portion of data breaches by keeping customer data out of the hands of retailers, that's fantastic.  As we continue to see huge breaches in the news every month, people I talk to are getting sick of it, and I'm only talking about typical consumers.  On the other side, if the banks see a measurable reduction in fraud, they will push hard to get retailers on board and adopt the new payment terminals.  Issues that we're seeing today, like the double-payments, don't bother me very much; they'll get fixed quickly.  The bigger question will be what kind of hard numbers will we see as far as fraud-prevention and data loss-prevention.  If those are significant then ?Pay (or something similar -- please NOT google or any other 3rd party data miners!) will become the norm in short order, although that will still take several years.

• Reply 14 of 17

Quick question:  Has anyone tried to load up a pre-pay debit card onto ?Pay?

I have no idea whether it would work or not, and might actually depend on the issuer, but if any of you have a new iPhone and can try it out, I'd be curious to hear the result.

This is something I've thought about for a LONG time, long before ?Pay was even a rumor, and I think if (or when) it works, it could provide a whole new way of thinking about how we buy things.  Imagine Apple allowing you to drop cash onto a virtual card attached to an ?Pay account.  That would almost be as good as cash (no tracking of purchase habits, no risk of data theft or identity theft, as convenient as current CC/debit), and provide lower risk of someone mugging you for cash-in-pocket, although that seems to be fairly low these days because so many people can't be bothered to keep $10 on their person.

If ?Pay is successful, I think over time we will see other new and innovative ways to use mobile devices to pay for everyday purchases beyond tying to traditional bank-issued CCs.

• Reply 15 of 17
    If you use a MC- or VISA-branded debit card, is it processed as a debit or a credit transaction? Is there any way to select this?
  • Reply 16 of 17
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Thanks for this info, i was looking for it!
  • Reply 17 of 17
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    lkrupp wrote: »

Well this is well beyond google wallet. Banks have invested a lot on this and the system have been well thought out. I don't see apple pay going away anytime soon specially with people like me who are looking forward to using it more and more. More banks will be force to join apple pay as people might start to move to banks and ccs that are supported. Luckily for me all my ccs and my bank are supported :) so im very happy. Now i am just making note of all the stores that i can use it at ;)