iPhone 6 Plus users report persistent unexplained crashing issues, possibly tied to large app librar

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015
A number of iPhone 6 Plus users have reported an issue in which the phone inexplicably crashes or enters a reboot loop, prompting many to take it in to Apple for service, where it is usually swapped out for a new unit. Some owners are on their fourth replacement 6 Plus.

Multiple owners have reported identical crashing problems on Apple's Support Communities forum, with one thread now standing at more than 9,000 views and 60 replies.

The exact trigger has yet to be discovered, though 6 Plus owners posting to the thread claim to have nailed down a few commonalities: 128GB iPhone 6 Plus is the most affected model; apps installed number at more than 700; and crashes can occur without user interaction. Some pin the trouble on hardware as Apple's recent iOS 8.1 update did not fix the issue, though others believe software is to blame.

At first, it was thought that restoring from a previous iPhone image carried over faulty app settings or incompatible apps, but this theory was seemingly debunked after multiple attempts to restore phones as new before adding on apps manually failed. This does not rule out individual app incompatibility with iOS 8, but with so many apps in question, testing and cross-checking results would be extremely difficult.

Some forum members and AppleInsider readers have taken their 6 Plus in to an Apple Store for assessment. In some cases, Geniuses exchange the non-functional unit, while others have been told to hold on to their phone as their repair ticket escalates up the tech support chain of command. Few have reported success with new iPhone 6 Plus replacements.

As for workarounds, some are seeing varying success in restoring the phone as new, then manually installing each previously purchased app one-by-one. However, as mentioned above, a good number of owners have tried this tactic to no avail. Manually reinstalling purchased apps is a time consuming process and seemingly does not provide a surefire solution to the problem. In fact, some forum members say the fix only lasts for a few minutes before the phone once again enters into a crash cycle.

Interestingly, others have found that turning on the Display Zoom function sometimes helps alleviate crashes, but the method is far from a proven fix.

As of this writing, the number of owners affected by the crashing issue is unknown. The number of views on each Support Communities thread suggest the issue is not widespread. However, if current speculation is correct and the problem is linked to 128GB iPhone 6 Plus owners who have expansive app libraries, the relatively low number of reported cases may not be indicative of the issue's severity.

Apple has not yet officially commented on the matter and does not have policies in place to deal with incoming repairs at Apple Stores. AppleInsider has reached out and will update this story when a reply is received.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 212
    Where there's smoke, there's forum trolling.
  • Reply 2 of 212
    Seven hundred apps? Am I the only one who thinks that's a little excessive?
  • Reply 3 of 212
    I'm sorry, but did you say 700 apps? Wow, I have enough difficulty at 35 apps.
  • Reply 4 of 212
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

9000 views mean absolutely NOTHING. 60 replies out of probably 15 million iPhone 6s by now. And this is now an issue? And I just love the bullshit extrapolation at the end of this bullshit article.

• Reply 5 of 212
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Just hope it isn't a "rushing-to-market-to-match-demand" quality issue...

If it was OSX, wouldn't pretty precise crash reports be going to Apple?

Does that not happen in iOS?

• Reply 6 of 212
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Seven hundred apps? Am I the only one who thinks that's a little excessive?

These are probably the same asshats who complain that iTunes chokes on their 50,000 song libraries. My son had a roommate once who bought hard drive after hard drive and filled them up with pirated music. He had their DSL line saturated 24/7/365 downloading pirated music.

• Reply 7 of 212
    Can we have a Snow Leopard release of OSX and iOS now?
  • Reply 8 of 212
    boredumb wrote: »

They do, it's an option when you set it up to send diagnostic information to Apple.
    lkrupp wrote: »

These are probably the same asshats who complain that iTunes chokes on their 50,000 song libraries. My son had a roommate once who bought hard drive after hard drive and filled them up with pirated music. He had their DSL line saturated 24/7/365 downloading pirated music.

I hate that. You can't even enjoy that much music, and in my experience pirates never even value the content enough to appreciate it.
  • Reply 9 of 212
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A number of iPhone 6 Plus users have reported an issue in which the phone inexplicably crashes or enters a reboot loop, prompting many to take it in to Apple for service, where it is usually swapped out for a new unit. Some owners are on their fourth replacement 6 Plus.

Multiple owners have reported identical crashing problems on Apple's Support Communities forum, with one thread now standing at more than 9,000 views and 60 replies.

The exact trigger has yet to be discovered, though 6 Plus owners posting to the thread claim to have nailed down a few commonalities: 128GB iPhone 6 Plus is the most affected model; apps installed number at more than 700; and crashes can occur without user interaction. Some pin the trouble on hardware as Apple's recent iOS 8.1 update did not fix the issue, though others believe software is to blame.

At first, it was thought that restoring from a previous iPhone image carried over faulty app settings or incompatible apps, but this theory was seemingly debunked after multiple attempts to restore phones as new before adding on apps manually failed. This does not rule out individual app incompatibility with iOS 8, but with so many apps in question, testing and cross-checking results would be extremely difficult.

Some forum members and AppleInsider readers have taken their 6 Plus in to an Apple Store for assessment. In some cases, Geniuses exchange the non-functional unit, while others have been told to hold on to their phone as their repair ticket escalates up the tech support chain of command. Few have reported success with new iPhone 6 Plus replacements.

As for workarounds, some are seeing varying success in restoring the phone as new, then manually installing each previously purchased app one-by-one. However, as mentioned above, a good number of owners have tried this tactic to no avail. Manually reinstalling purchased apps is a time consuming process and seemingly does not provide a surefire solution to the problem. In fact, some forum members say the fix only lasts for a few minutes before the phone once again enters into a crash cycle.

Interestingly, others have found that turning on the Display Zoom function sometimes helps alleviate crashes, but the method is far from a proven fix.

As of this writing, the number of owners affected by the crashing issue is unknown. The number of views on each Support Communities thread suggest the issue is not widespread. However, if current speculation is correct and the problem is linked to 128GB iPhone 6 Plus owners who have expansive app libraries, the relatively low number of reported cases may not be indicative of the issue's severity.

Apple has not yet officially commented on the matter and does not have policies in place to deal with incoming repairs at Apple Stores. AppleInsider has reached out and will update this story when a reply is received.

If its the app lib, then there is no hardware solutiono if your putting the app back into a new phone. Why not delete a few hundred apps (you can download them all again later), to see if it fixes thing. BTW, I'Ve got a 78 apps on my 3GS and I think that's way excessive already.

• Reply 10 of 212
    caveman664 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but did you say 700 apps? Wow, I have enough difficulty at 35 apps.

I don't like having more than the main home page and a second page of apps. I have twenty apps on my iPad and twenty-six on my iPhone. I don't even use all of them regularly.
  • Reply 11 of 212
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    A whole SIXTY replies? 60?? OMG, this is an OUTRAGE! I demand a full recall! This is an unacceptable #, given that Apple has already sold tens of MILLIONS of phones, and this # represents a blade of grass in a football field. But nevertheless, I will sensationalize and blow this out of proportions, making sweeping claims about Apple's lack of any kind of quality control, how Steve Jobs wouldn't have allowed this, how Tim Cook should be fired, and how this is evidence of Apple going down the shitter.

I mean, 60 responses, gee wiz, that's like.. my brain can't even process that # it's so massive.

EDIT: Holy shit, didn't even read this part:

"apps installed number at more than 700..".

Are you fucking shitting me? Who the **** has 700+ apps on their phones, and WHY?? How long does it take to restore that from iCloud? An entire day? Here's a tip- fucking delete apps you don't use. Have these douchebags been downloading apps since 2008, and never deleting a single one? Christ.
  • Reply 12 of 212
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Better to wait for the 'S' models.....fine tuned and better still!

• Reply 13 of 212
    Looks like AI was desperate for news! Hunting forums new complaints? wow.. just wow..

and only 60 replies! (Views means nothing.. just means someone read it, not that it impacted them... duuuurrrrrrrrrr!!)

EDIT: Oh, I've gotten so tired of click bait for ad revenue, I blocked all ads with AD Blocker! YEAH!

Vote with your clicks on crap reporting!
  • Reply 14 of 212
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    That is one BIG phone.

Anyway, niche-use cases, like the one under ah.... "discussion", don't count for anything.
  • Reply 15 of 212
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Someone has managed to secure 4 iPhone 6 pluses? I say FUD. I can't get my hands on one!! Lol
  • Reply 16 of 212
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    pfisher wrote: »
    Better to wait for the 'S' models.....fine tuned and better still!

That has no bearing on 1) the SW or 2) the HW for any give iPhone. The same casing only helps if you really want to make sure the case market is saturated before you buy. In fact, the 'S' model could have more limitations and issue simply from the internals having to be built around the same external design while the non-'S' models have the luxury of being designed fully without such constraints.
  • Reply 17 of 212
    lkrupp wrote: »
    9000 views mean absolutely NOTHING. 60 replies out of probably 15 million iPhone 6s by now. And this is now an issue? And I just love the bullshit extrapolation at the end of this bullshit article.

But page views is how certain authors measure their self esteem. ;)
  • Reply 18 of 212
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Greater than 700 apps sort of guarantees ones incompatible with iOS 8.
  • Reply 19 of 212
    jfc1138 wrote: »

Yea, and come the 64bit requirement there's going to be a gigantic fragmentation. Oh oh, did I say that here?

Que the "you don't know what fragmentation is..."
  • Reply 20 of 212
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jfc1138 wrote: »

Why's that?