Apple Watch will likely require daily charging, Cook says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2014
As part of his interview at the WSJD Live conference on Monday, Apple's Tim Cook said he anticipates Apple Watch users are likely going to need to charge the device daily because they will use it so much.

In discussing the upcoming smartwatch device, Cook was expectedly tight-lipped about specifications, but did tell Wall Street Journal managing editor Gerry Baker that he believes Apple Watch will last about a day.

"You're going to wind up charging it daily," Cook said.

The comments are in line with previous estimates, as well as Cook's own predictions from the Apple Watch unveiling in September. Aside from daily charging, the executive declined to discuss exact specifications, availability or price.

Baker did ask about Apple TV, with Cook saying Apple has big plans for the television market, which he calls a "time capsule."

"We're living in the 1970s," Cook said about the current TV user experience. "There's a lot to be done in this area. What we'll do I won't be so clear."

The Apple chief lauded HBO's recent decision to break off a standalone streaming service, but would not elaborate on Apple's future plans for the living room. The Cupertino tech giant has long been rumored to be working on a new Apple TV set-top streamer with deep cable television integration, but negotiations with major providers reportedly stalled. Some believe the new hardware will feature motion control capabilities derived from Apple's PrimeSense acquisition.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 96
    "You're going to wind up..."? Clever thing to say about a watch, Tim. :)
  • Reply 2 of 96
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I'm still not interested in ?Watch at this point but looking at the pic the fit and finish compared to all the other "smartwatches" isn't even close. There are a few concept videos that show something great looking but I don't think any of those startups have yet shown a physical product, much less announced a ship date.
  • Reply 3 of 96
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    .... And? I charge my iPhone nightly anyway. Not exactly going to break or complicate the routine by adding a watch to it.
  • Reply 4 of 96
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

2 out of 3 (the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus) ain't bad.

• Reply 5 of 96
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    Can't wait! Big decision isn't the charging - this is only Mk1 and it will only get better - it's can I make do with one or do I really "need" a sports watch and a dress watch!
  • Reply 6 of 96
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"You're going to wind up..."? Clever thing to say about a watch, Tim. image

What about charging your watch with wrist movements?

• Reply 7 of 96
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mr o wrote: »

I don't think kinetic charging is even close to viable in even a 7 day battery. I'd estimate that you probably need to have a battery that can last months before kinetic energy from every day motion would be enough to keep it charged.
  • Reply 8 of 96
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

A watch band where the surface was almost entirely solar cells might help.  Mechanical systems deliver a lot less energy.  A Citizen eco-drive watch can go more than 6 months on about an hour or so of exposure to direct sunlight.  A Seiko Kinetic watch has to be shaken nearly every day.  I had a conversation with an employee in a jewelers and he complained it was a chore to daily take the kinetics out of the window display and shake them for a while and then put them back, while the Citizens next to them just purred away smug in their superiority. 

• Reply 9 of 96
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Rumors are that Apple looked at different ways of charging (like solar) but they weren't having success. I don't think most people will have an issue taking the watch off to charge before they go to bed. And I'm sure Apple is constantly working on Improving battery life. I still think one of the reasons ?Watch isn't coming out until next year is it isn't yet ready for prime time, especially from a software standpoint. There's a reason why watches shown to the media were running demo software In a loop. My guess is Apple will low ball battery estimates so people end up getting better battery life than advertised.
  • Reply 10 of 96
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Rumors are that Apple looked at different ways of charging (like solar) but they weren't having success. I don't think most people will have an issue taking the watch off to charge before they go to bed. And I'm sure Apple is constantly working on Improving battery life. I still think one of the reasons ?Watch isn't coming out until next year is it isn't yet ready for prime time, especially from a software standpoint. There's a reason why watches shown to the media were running demo software In a loop. My guess is Apple will low ball battery estimates so people end up getting better battery life than advertised.

Taking a watch off is a sure way to lose it. I've gifted far too many watches to hotels to count. For some reason I can remember everything else. Because I don't always wear watches I can easily forget them when I do. 

I take them off though because I don't like sleeping with watches, as they can hinder circulation. I don't ever buy watches but every two christmases someone gets me one. 

• Reply 11 of 96
    I'm a little concerned about charging daily. Only because I'd prefer charging at night like my phone, but monitoring sleep is part of the health aspect I'd like to monitor. Otherwise I'd have to charge it when awake and should be tracking movement etc.
  • Reply 12 of 96
    The only disappointing element in that is that you won't be able to use it as a sleep tracker, but given its cost I'm not sure I would have anyway. That being said, I charge my iPhone and iPad nightly, so why not add a third device?
  • Reply 13 of 96
    About the TV thing- no, I'm not "living in the 70's". I have an HDTV connected to popular streaming services that provide immediate access to content. The Apple TV is still just another face in the crowd and I, like millions of others, have upgraded past the tuner.

Bottom line is that Cook has been regurgitating that same line for years since Jobs said it with no progress to show. What is he waiting for?
  • Reply 14 of 96

The iWatch still stirs my excitement. I am willing to have it charged everyday should it proved to be worthy.

• Reply 15 of 96
    This is a non issue for most. Everyone I know charges phones and other electronics every night. The AppleWatch will be no different. Those that insist that they need multiple days and that multiple days without a charge is a huge feature are just trying to stir things up as there is no real ground to stand on with that view.
  • Reply 16 of 96

I think ?Watch will establish a new sweet spot for 21st century watches.

Since my first iPhone I stopped wearing watches. Couldn't ever justify the extravagance of a Rolex or Movado, as much as I've liked their looks, either. As all I've ever wanted from a watch was the time, the display on my iPhone filled the bill.

But now that Apple has designed the ?Watch, I'm looking forward to new functions and purposes for a "wrist-mounted display." The heart-rate monitor will be a welcome bonus, as I've resisted buying a dedicated device for that.

I also like the choices of models and will perhaps upgrade to a gold one, should the ?Watch become an essential in my life.

• Reply 17 of 96
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm still not interested in ?Watch at this point but looking at the pic the fit and finish compared to all the other "smartwatches" isn't even close. There are a few concept videos that show something great looking but I don't think any of those startups have yet shown a physical product, much less announced a ship date.

• Reply 18 of 96
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    "You're going to wind up..."? Clever thing to say about a watch, Tim. :)

You know, if it could actually charge by being 'wound' that wouldn't be a such a daft idea. Or even look at the system in a Rolex that 'winds' by using a weight that swings around due to body motion. I'm not suggesting as an alternative to a induction charge but in addition too, as a supplemental charge.

EDIT: I see Mr. O already suggested this.
  • Reply 19 of 96
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

looking at the pic the fit and finish compared to all the other "smartwatches" isn't even close.

The word is you need to see it in person to get a sense of what it looks like. The comments so far from people who have seen it are pretty positive and say it looks way better in person. Everybody's tastes are different, I'll need to see it before deciding
  • Reply 20 of 96
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

The only disappointing element in that is that you won't be able to use it as a sleep tracker, but given its cost I'm not sure I would have anyway. That being said, I charge my iPhone and iPad nightly, so why not add a third device?

If they could get it to charge in 15-20 mins maybe you could take it off before taking a shower to charge it.
    Google nexus 6 phone can get 6 hours with a 15 min charge time (has a 3,200 mAh battery)