Apple's Greg Joswiak blames iOS 8.0.1 issues on software distribution

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
In a rare interview on Tuesday, Apple VP of iPhone, iPod, and iOS Product marketing Greg "Joz" Joswiak mostly toed the company line, but did reveal that issues with last month's iOS 8.0.1 rollout were caused by software distribution issues.

Apple VP Greg Joswiak at the Code/Mobile conference. | Source: Re/code via Twitter

At Re/code's Code/Mobile conference, Greg Joswiak said the botched iOS 8.0.1 release had nothing to do with the update's contents, but instead how it was "wrapped" before being pushed out to users. He rebuffed suggestions that Apple has quality control issues.

"It had to do with the way the software was being sent over servers. It was the way software was being distributed," Joswiak said. "Whenever you're pushing software and doing some very advanced things, you're going to have some mistakes. What we try to do is very quickly fix them."

As for Apple's response, Joswiak noted the company reacted within one hour of discovering the bug, which entailed pulling the update meant to solve problems with HealthKit, Photos, Reachability and more.

Shortly after iOS 8.0.1 was pushed out in late September, reports from iPhone 6 and 6 Plus owners claimed the update disabled cellular connectivity and the Touch ID home button, rendering their new devices useless. Apple subsequently launched an update for the update the next day, which according to Joswiak's comments today was simply repackaged version of iOS 8.0.1.

Joswiak remained cagey throughout the interview, revealing little in the way of new information or statistics. He did mention that the multi-carrier Apple SIM introduced with the latest iPad models is not likely to see use in near future iPhones, an unsurprising move considering the handset's importance to Apple's bottom line.

Finally, the Apple exec offered some commentary on the ongoing Apple Pay situation, which has seen major retailers that are part of the Merchant Customer Exchange consortium pull support in lieu of launching their own branded service called CurrentC.

"We think the retailers who are going to be successful are going to work around their customers and accept the payment customers want to use," Joswiak said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60

Joswiak still sounds to me like an invented name that is a combination of 'Jobs' and 'Wozniak'.

• Reply 2 of 60
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    If you magnify the image, despite the low resolution, you can see that he seems to be wearing the Apple Watch.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    melgross wrote: »
    If you magnify the image, despite the low resolution, you can see that he seems to be wearing the Apple Watch.
    I don't think so because they made a joke about it on stage.

@inafried to Apple VP Joswiak "I notice you're wearing a watch. Seems to have great battery life but no apps." Ha! #codemobile
    2:03 PM - 28 Oct 2014
  • Reply 4 of 60
    mystigomystigo Posts: 183member
    It's not "towed" is it? It's "Toed" the company line.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Users who manually downloaded 8.0.1 to update their device via iTunes didn't experience a problem?

This has been reported to be the first time Apple distributed software using its own Internet infrastructure rather than, say, Akamai's.

Glad to know it wasn't a problem of Apple's doing! Apple QC is just fine.

• Reply 6 of 60
    mystigomystigo Posts: 183member

Double-post

• Reply 7 of 60
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Where did he tow the company line to, and are there any plans to get it back? If not, can they get a new company line someplace?

Inquiring minds want to know.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Funny how Walmart etc are pushing their weight around by not accepting money from their customers. Sounds like a lose lose lose situation.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    neilm wrote: »
    Where did he tow the company line to, and are there any plans to get it back? If not, can they get a new company line someplace?

Oh no! Apple has no line.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystigo View Post

You are correct!

• Reply 11 of 60
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    No wet sprockets around here...
  • Reply 12 of 60
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Users who manually downloaded 8.0.1 to update their device via iTunes didn't experience a problem?

This has been reported to be the first time Apple distributed software using its own Internet infrastructure rather than, say, Akamai's.

Glad to know it wasn't a problem of Apple's doing! Apple QC is just fine.

i know you're being snide, but the obvious point he's making was the issue was not related to the QC group that tested the software content itself...unlike what the rumor sites suggested by posting the QC manager's name.

• Reply 13 of 60
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Greg "Joz" Joswiak mostly towed the company line.
    mystigo wrote: »

Indeed. The phrase is “toed the line”.
    neilm wrote: »

:D
  • Reply 14 of 60
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystigo View Post

How dare you knoe English?!?  ;-)

• Reply 15 of 60
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

iOS 8 has been shtt....WiFi connection sucks. Try this: connect to your home network with your iOS 8.1 devices, start walking away from the router until your iOS devices get only 2 bars connections strength, disconnect the WiFi and try to reconnect it: your devices will ask for WiFi password and once you enter the password, it won't connect saying that it's wrong password. If you have only 1 bar strength network, you won't be able to connect it...this is' iOS 8.1 issue.

• Reply 16 of 60
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    iOS 8 has been shtt....WiFi connection sucks. Try this: connect to your home network with your iOS 8.1 devices, start walking away from the router until your iOS devices get only 2 bars connections strength, disconnect the WiFi and try to reconnect it: your devices will ask for WiFi password and once you enter the password, it won't connect saying that it's wrong password. If you have only 1 bar strength network, you won't be able to connect it...this is' iOS 8.1 issue.

Mine's fine, maybe it's your router.
  • Reply 17 of 60

This makes sense as the issue seemed to be related to OTA. 

• Reply 18 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

Mine's fine, maybe it's your router.

Same. Mine has no issues connecting to different routers. Asus N600, Linksys WRT54G, other routers, all fine.

• Reply 19 of 60
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

I saw a lot of workarounds on various forums regarding slow performance with 8.1 on older iPads. Erasing everything on the iPad and then restoring seemed to fix many slowdown issues. I wonder why Apple doesn't recommend this step. It's like having a Combo update and the delta updates online at the same time. Most people don't know the difference or why you'd want to download the larger Combo updater. Seems like some of these issues could be resolved if Apple were more clear.

Not sure if I buy this guy's explanation about 8.0.1 being wrapped incorrectly but I'm not a software engineer.

• Reply 20 of 60
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    boredumb wrote: »
    How dare you knoe English?!?  ;-)

Dude, if he speaks gooder English then he has a responsibility to make things righter.