BlackBerry hopes to rekindle sales by reintroducing classic keyboard & form factor

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2014
Hoping to strike a chord with old school BlackBerry users, the not quite dead company on Wednesday teased a new device called BlackBerry Classic, which appears to be a modern take on the seminal BlackBerry Bold.

Unveiled in an open letter from BlackBerry CEO John Chen, the upcoming BlackBerry Classic looks to be a throwback to RIM devices from the company's glory days, complete with trackpad, top-row navigation buttons and the familiar physical keyboard.

Aside from the traditional BlackBerry trappings, the Classic brings modern day technology like a larger high-resolution screen, buffed internals and the new BlackBerry 10 operating system. Chen touted the growing BlackBerry app library, as well as first-party software BlackBerry Hub and BlackBerry Blend, the latter of which acts very much like iOS 8's Continuity features.
Sure, we've got new BlackBerry devices that break the mold, including the BlackBerry Passport. But we also recognize that a lot of you continue to hang on to your Bold devices because they get the job done, day in and day out - just like you.

We get it, and we've got you covered.
The company has yet to reveal a full list of specifications and features, but put up a teaser webpage with a picture of the device's keyboard and lower screen area.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    market share drops = keep going back further into the products that allowed them to fall out of the market, inverse correlation anyone? They have a death grip on the past and it has one on them.
  • Reply 2 of 78

I really didn't expect to see another phone from Blackberry, let alone a Bold replacement. They must expect this to keep the faithful in the ecosystem while they try and figure out something to actually make them grow. It was probably worth the effort to churn Bold owners off of their old devices alone. We will see if this gives them something to grow from.

• Reply 3 of 78
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

With damn Square Phone? LOL. Last thing people want on their smartphone is physical keyboard. DOA, BB.

• Reply 4 of 78

Maybe Blackberry should work with MCX and become the exclusive mobile platform for CurrentC.

• Reply 5 of 78
    Can't blame them for it. Kinda like those violists who kept playing as the Titanic sunk.
  • Reply 6 of 78
    lowepglowepg Posts: 106member
    I'm assuming this is an Onion story?
  • Reply 7 of 78
    Isn't this what they did as a response to the original iPhone? Did I go back in time?
  • Reply 8 of 78

BREAKING: BlackBerry to rename itself Research In Motion

BREAKING 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO!: Research In Motion to release even newer device

• Reply 9 of 78

In other news, Nokia attempts to invigorate sales of its lagging Windows Phone platform by reintroducing "Snake".

• Reply 10 of 78

I have heard some good things about the Blackberry Passport although I still think its going to be a flop. 

• Reply 11 of 78
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Maybe they will use all their profits from this new phone to purchase the rights to make the iPod Classic from Apple.
  • Reply 12 of 78
    djames4242 wrote: »
    In other news, Nokia attempts to invigorate sales of its lagging Windows Phone platform by reintroducing "Snake".

Don't knock Snake... I used to play that for hours.
  • Reply 13 of 78
    quinney wrote: »
    Maybe they will use all their profits from this new phone to purchase the rights to make the iPod Classic from Apple.

Naah, now that the patents on NewtonOS 1.0 are expired they're making the Newton BerryPad 2200.

With fax capability!

(I love my Newtons).
  • Reply 14 of 78

On London train/bus/tube and at business meetings I still see more battered old BBs with physical keyboards than touchscreens. A surprising number are BYOD. To these folk a phone means serious email plus a bit of voice - barometers and health apps have no appeal. 

Add a proportion of iOS/Android users who are either bored or reject feature overreach and you have quite a significant market. To them a Classic BB handset will not be a leap of faith, it will be coming home.

• Reply 14 of 78
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Hoping to strike a chord with old school BlackBerry users, the not quite dead company on Wednesday teased a new device called BlackBerry Classic, which appears to be a modern take on the seminal BlackBerry Bold.

And the death spiral continues.

How much longer can it possibly last?

• Reply 16 of 78
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbanleopard View Post

On London train/bus/tube and at business meetings I still see more battered old BBs with physical keyboards than touchscreens. A surprising number are BYOD. To these folk a phone means serious email plus a bit of voice - barometers and health apps have no appeal. 

Add a proportion of iOS/Android users who are either bored or reject feature overreach and you have quite a significant market. To them a Classic BB handset will not be a leap of faith, it will be coming home.

A surprising number of people still ride horses.

To these folk a ride means galloping through the countryside - lithium-ion batteries and charging stations have no appeal.

Add a proportion of speed freaks who are either bored or reject motorcycle feature overreach and you have quite a significant market.

To them a classic leather saddle will not be a leap of faith, it will be coming home.

• Reply 17 of 78

in other news, the typewriter is coming back.

• Reply 18 of 78
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Is that smartphone wearing a Halloween costume?

I guess we got the "trick" on this one.

Oooh... Scary.
  • Reply 19 of 78
    Vinyl records are also making a comeback. Betamax can't be far behind.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

"Because you loved it so much, you abandoned it!!!!"