Android Snapdragon 805 performance disappointments, too high resolution

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014

I went to Verizon today to check out the Droid Turbo, and it lagged unexpectedly in places it shouldn't have compared to other phones like the Nexus 5 and Moto X 2014 (the iPhone 6 ran as expected). I then looked up what the deal was, and found this article:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/10/15/adreno-powered-nexus-6-galaxy-note-4-deliver-poor-graphics-performance-vs-iphone-6-plus

The primary reason appears to be the Snapdragon 805 can't really handle the 2560x1440 resolution with other things running, and I can't even tell the difference in pixels between that resolution and 1920x1080 resolution on 5" screens (Moto X 2014 has 1080). I tried to explain this on some Android forums (including XDA) and I'm just getting trashed, they're saying they don't even notice a difference in frame rate on any of their phones (how can you not notice?). The LG G3 ran similarly to the Droid Turbo, and low-and-behold it uses an 805 at the same resolution.

I'm really disappointed in Google and the manufacturers for buying Qualcomm's line that it runs that resolution without checking to see how well it ran it with other things going. Android has some huge hurdles to beat the iPhone in real-world performance, and it seems to be a major compromise to offer a Quad HD that seems to benefit nobody (on a 5" screen at least) but sacrifices frame rate, responsiveness, and performance.

I really would have liked to have upgraded to the Turbo from my Moto X (2013), but now I'm afraid it's going to get too laggy after real-world use and make me want to upgrade again. I really prefer Android to iOS, but these poor engineering decisions are driving me nuts.

I'm just posting here because I'm not getting reasonable responses to my issues when I bring up this article.