OK to install RAM without a anti-static strap?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited November 2014

Hey all, I want to change the RAM on my mid 2011 Mac Mini. Is it absolutely necessary to use a anti static wrist strap?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16

I’ve never used one in all the upgrades I’ve done and the only time I ever had a problem was in building a PC for someone. I also don’t know if it was even static that did anything or if the parts were just DOA because Newegg refused to take them back since I had opened them. Never buying from them again.

Don’t wear socks, don’t move around while doing it, and discharge yourself (touch some metal somewhere else) before doing it. You’ll be fine.

• Reply 2 of 16
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member

Thanks for the info, do you think I should wear sneakers since they have rubber bottoms? My floor is wood

• Reply 3 of 16

Oh, you’ll be just fine, then.

• Reply 4 of 16

Thanks

• Reply 5 of 16

I installed it, took 5 minutes.

The computer is no faster though, so it's disappointing. 

Also, when I check the activity monitor the green memory pressure bar is all the way across, not sure what this means but my Mini is using 3Gb out of the 8Gb available so I would think memory pressure would be low?

• Reply 6 of 16
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

Yes it should be, do a couple of restarts and throw a few apps at it, and get back to us. All the best, I think the system should be fine, eventually. 

• Reply 7 of 16

OK, will do, thanks 

• Reply 8 of 16

Still sluggish, no change in performance at all.

Oh well, $100 down the tubes!

• Reply 9 of 16

sorry to hear that, I suppose the ram is clocked properly, did you mix and match with the available modules or put new modules in there? I suppose said modules where "mac compatible", which isn't saying much, but it's a branding that lets you know someone's actually tested it on an actual mac to see that everything works fine, crucial has a line like that. Don't get discouraged. 

• Reply 10 of 16

I bought the 8Gb Kit from Crucial.

It's showing up as 1333mhz so it looks like it's working fine, but it made absolutely no difference to the poor performance.

Someone on the MacRumors forum mentioned that the beta update for yosemite seems to help with RAM allocation so maybe the next update will improve things. I sure hope so!

I also wonder whether the separate graphics card could be an issue. I gave Apple feedback and mentioned this

• Reply 11 of 16

so you keep getting the same memory pressure numbers?

• Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SHSF View Post

so you keep getting the same memory pressure numbers?

It's not a number, it's a green bar. It goes all the way across to the other side

• Reply 13 of 16

Green? Sorry I missed that the other day, got carried away by the sluggish performance you said, green is what you should be seeing:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT5890

"

• Green – RAM memory resources are available."

Something else is happening. Download onyx and run pretty much every maintanance util it has. You can also get a system snapshot via the terminal, and remove your serial and user name and post it here for us to have a look, but that's more convoluted. Onyx's your friend, and it seems the system has accepted the ram module just fine, so I think there's hope on the horizon. 

• Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHSF View Post

Green? Sorry I missed that the other day, got carried away by the sluggish performance you said, green is what you should be seeing:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT5890

"

• Green – RAM memory resources are available."

Something else is happening. Download onyx and run pretty much every maintanance util it has. You can also get a system snapshot via the terminal, and remove your serial and user name and post it here for us to have a look, but that's more convoluted. Onyx's your friend, and it seems the system has accepted the ram module just fine, so I think there's hope on the horizon. 

Ahhh, thank you for that! I thought when the green bar was short it was OK and if it stretched all the way to the end it was pressure. It was green when I had 4Gb RAM so I guess I didn't need the upgrade!

I did notice that with activity monitor open and only one safari page open RAM used was about 3.4Gb when I had 4Gb RAM installed, now it uses 3.0 Gb with the 8Gb installed. I thought that was odd.

In any case, thank you for clearing that up! Can't wait for the next OS update, hopefully performance will increase

Oh-I do have Onyx and used it, everything it's got.

I installed it on my sister's Macbook Air and it actually detected a hard drive (SSD) problem. I ran disk utility and it fixed it-so I definitely recommend Onyx

• Reply 15 of 16

Glad I could help. You did very well to upgrade.

Whenever you can afford it get a hybrid 2.5 ssd (wd, seagate amongst others) or you can keep your stock hard drive get a kit from owc to open up your mini and make a fusion drive with an hdd and an ssd, and you will see it fly. You don't have to make a fusion drive even, just stick an ssd as the main drive, and move the stock one to the other drive position, I am making an assumption you have the cd-less mini. 

If you switched to Yosemite it's expected that safari is more power efficient.

Also you can get diskwarrior off of somewhere if you can't afford it, or save up for it, and then boot from an external hard drive, or pen drive, install dw there and have it run on your main hard drive to fix up any file structure problems. But really an ssd or hybrid hd will make the mini fly. But the 8gigs of ram was a great choice of upgrade to begin with.

Mavs and Yosemite use the drive less and prefer to compress memory instead so you are much better off already with the more ram, not much more apple can really do to increase performance. That means instead of having the memory system write to the disk when the memory goes short, it's instead compressed and kept in memory to make more space for more memory to be available for use. 

• Reply 16 of 16

I don't want to put more money into this Mini so I'm going to wait until Apple upgrades the next Mini and buy one with 16Gb RAM and a SSD drive.